Lowes kitchen installer ruined my floor. I ordered Shenandoah kitchen cabinets

1470 of 1719 Lowes Reviews
Issue not resolved

I ordered Shenandoah kitchen cabinets and granite countertops totalling $20,000 from Lowes.I chose Lowed installation service at $2995 but when their installer came to measure and look at the job, she charged us an extra point, $299.50 because extra work would be involved in floor preparation.

Day of installation, the cabinets were placed and leveled on TOP of the edge of our existing laminate flooring. I asked the installer to trim the flooring so that the base counters would rest on the concrete floor and not on the edge of the laminate. He told me that wasn't part of their service and it was standard procedure to set the cabinet on top of, or in this case, on the edge of the flooring. Trim would cover anything that might show.

I was very concerned as I thought laminate floors needed expansion space. The Lowes installer, Dave, assured me this 'no problem' and 'done all the time'. Now, remember, I paid $299.50 extra for this installation. Within 6 weeks of the cabinet install, my beautiful laminate floors started to show signs of buckling.

I wrote Lowes April llth for assistance in correcting the problem. I had Empire Today, my original floor installation company, come and look at the problem. Although they charged me $1800 to 'fix' what they could, the cabinets were firmly sunk into the laminate and firmly held the planks so that those trapped under the dabinet edge had to remain in place. So, $1800 of my own money was spent trying to fix the Lowe's installer's mess.

Now it is September 27, 2009 and Lowes has been to 'look' at the problem 3 times but nothing has been done to date. I took time off work to meet with one of their floor specialists, Mark. He assured me that his report would be in their hands that very day. Of course 3 days later no one was 'available' when I dropped into the store.

The Manager Chas and the Installation Manager TJ we 'out'. Two days later, no call from Lowes. I called again and was told by TJ that he needed someone to come out to the house and measure for replacement flooring but that no one was available. He said he'd call me back that very afternoon.

Now 3 days later, still no call back. Lowes is giving me the the runaround!!! My floors are getting worse as the twisting planks are spreading ... first the kitchen, then the entranceway (encumbered by the peninsula) and now down the hallway.

Pretty soon Lowes is going to have to replace my entire house flooring if they don't hurry.Incidentially, in case thous sounds petty, Empire Today was originally paid $9,000 for the job and then $1,800 for repairs, and the floors were beautiful before the Lowes installation disaster.

d649487 review #158048
12 Helpful? 39
Had the same issue2 Comments26 Report
1470 of 1719 Lowes Reviews
Had an experience with Lowes?  Submit review about this company
johnnyBotz

May 22 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hard to believe the cabinets will cause that much problem for floor, installer was right that it is standard. Installers must move fast to make a profit. Your floor can easily be cut afterwards by a flooring guy.to cut the floor precisely,first would require completely installing cabinets then tracing perimeter then remove cabinets cut floor and re install the cabinets.this would be triple the labor of a regular install and chance damaging cabinets from so much moving around. Your flooring Guy should have been able to remove flooring by cutting next to the toe kick. they should have saws for this cabinet installers do no have these saws. This sis the problem with do it your-selfer. a knowledgeable general contractor would have foreseen these issues and had control of the different sub contractors to make sure thing are done properly and do be held accountable. Lowes are suppliers and can be held accountable. You probably signed something taking responsibility for the install not lowes. they can only handle manufactures defects.

1 1 Reply
moisture

Oct 21, 2013

laminate over concrete???? moisture issue directly coming from the concrete. Not a good idea to put any type of wood based product over concrete. Some concrete floors can emitlarge amounts of moisture through them. That is why the boards are buckling. Also, why would there be buckling in an entranceway, and hallway which isn't even near the cabinets.

0 1 Reply
johnnybotz

May 22 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

sure over concrete. There are vapor barrier products that work wonderfully. you are right about the buckling in entanceway. The point that laminate was existing is puzzling. I think there are water issues look at the roof and the flooring Guy reinstall floors with a better vapor barrier.

1 0 Reply
Happy Customer

Dec 27, 2011

My husband and I just had our whole kitchen done by Lowes...Cabinets, flooring & countertops. We had no problems at all and we love the results. The cabinet installer was one of the nicest people and did a fantastic job on the cabinets. The contractor who did the countertops was just as good. I have no complaints and I had no problems.

BeenThereDoneThat

Dec 21, 2011

LOL at *** spends 20K on cabs and counters and is too cheap to buy a real floor. Good luck, teabagger...

0 1 Reply
quality handyman

May 17, 2011

If you buy cheap laminate up to 2$/SF this is what you get. You get buckling and splitting.
Buy 4$/SF laminate and you can place anything on top of it. It says so on the warranty.

1 0 Reply
JohnnyBotz

May 22 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I did not want to call the flooring cheap but that is it. The good laminates are virtually indestructible. Kitchens and baths need high quality. These are high traffic and sublect to water and chemicals grease.

Stuart

Jan 17, 2011

I had wretched experience with a Lowe's bathroom vanity purchase and installation.
Lowe's tried to cheat us out of our original purchase. Assigned an installer who didn't know what he was doing and didn't have the tools to do it. Lied to us. Wasted two days of my husband's time. And to top it off, no apology.

They tried to charge me twice for the same vanity. I had to call up and down the corporate chain to get them to admit I'd already paid for it.

When the installer came the first time, he didn't have the tools to drill the vanity top for the faucet installation. Lowe's promised me they'd send it out again with the holes predrilled. The installer went back to pick it up. No holes drilled. My husband had to use his tools, which weren't the proper tools, and help the installer drill the holes.

I won't set foot in Lowe's ever again. They're happy to take your money (twice, if they can), but don't deliver what they promise.

Jim in FLA

Sep 28, 2010

Been waiting now for 3 weeks for my Wirlpool Range to be delivered and installed. I'm on my 2nd installer, the first came and took all the measurements and charged $35 and then never came back. Found out they were fired by Lowes but no one kept up on my order. New guys came to day and measured and promised an answer in 1 hour. 4 hours later, no joy

My atep son took a look and said the rage won't fit without cutting the countertop and cabinet face (news to me and never commented on by either Lowes installer). Turns out a 30" range is actually 30 3/4" wide!
Well I guess I was misled by Lowes Salesman, and 2 installers.

Oh yeah, just noticed that the second guy has screwed up the laminate when he shoved he old range back in place with his feet!

mike foster

Sep 26, 2010

Just buy dont buy a kitchen from lowes they take you money and dont care :(

mike foster

Sep 26, 2010

Just buy dont buy a kitchen from lowes they take you money and dont care :(

Lowe's sucks 5-18-2010

May 18, 2010

I agree and know just what you are going through. I spent 15000.00 at lowes for cabinets. When the installer came out to put the counter top on he messed up by not cutting the top correctly. Has cost me alot of money and time to make it look right. I wouldn't recommend Lowes to anyone.I'ts been 5 months just on counter tops. Pissed ;) :(

A person of interest

Mar 06, 2010

Get your state attorney general involved!

Clearly

Mar 01, 2010

I have been a contractor for Lowes, have worked for Lowes, and I still run crews all over the east coast. Retailer4life is probably a nobody who cannot get promoted so he bashes whatever he can. ALL installers are required to carry huge amounts of insurance. Try getting your floor replaced by a guy who doesnt have insurance...im sure you would remeber to sign a contract with him too.. people crack me up...how would a cabinet make your entire floor buckle? doesnt make any sense.

Frank

Feb 09, 2010

I thank you, just got a quote from HD for 20k plus for cabinets and was considering Lowes. NOT NOW after reading this you have saved me a bundle.

Dave

Feb 04, 2010

I have worked for Lowe's for 7 years,5 in the Install sales office & now a Kitchen Project Manager. Lowe's stands behind every install & warranty their installers work for 1 year. Something does not sound right,call the district aim or cpo & let them know whats going on. No one,I mean no one stands behind their products & labor better than Lowe's.

tamara

Nov 28, 2009

If the installed sales office in the store cares anything about lowes and their customers. They will not have a substandard installer working for them. It causes them as much pain as it causes the customer. Believe me.

Never again with lowes

Nov 22, 2009

I've had both lowes and HD install things in my homes. But it wasn't very pleasant either time. As was said by the lowes employee the hire subs. And the subs are a *** shoot.

I went to lowes recenlty to get a price on cabinets and the guy was such an *** I walked out. I guess I'll buy mine at HD.

lowesinstallinfo

Oct 31, 2009

I have worked for lowe's for 15 years, and have been the manager of the installation department for 7 years. Believe me when I say this, if the installer did what you say he did. LOWE'S WILL TAKE CARE OF THE ISSUE. Lowe's as a company will go as far as they needed to make a customer happy. You just haven't talked to the right people. You need to call the Area Install Manager or the corporate office, since the store doesn't seem to know how to deal with the issue. Every company has people that just don't care, but we do want to know who they are by our customers. This seems to be the case. A professional inspector needs to be hired by lowe's and he will determine what caused the problem. This inspector will not be affilliated with lowe's, so the report will be unbiased. Please call the customer service # 1-800-44lowes, and see what they can get done for you. This goes to the corporate office and then back to the store. But it is treated differently, because the corporate office has been alerted about it. It will be investigated, and if determined that the installer caused it by sitting the cabinets on the laminate, then Lowe's will replace it. But the inspector must make this determination not a lowe's employee or another contractor.

Sorry this store isn't following lowe's customer service guidelines. We always want Happy Customers period. That has always been Lowe's most important thing.

Sadlywiser

May 05

My experience is that LOWE'S does NOT stand behind installation work. We recently purchased a stove for a vacation home and the installer (who we later learned was just an electrician) did a real hatchet job on our counters and cabinets that abutt the stove! We complained and were referred to an agent for Lowe's who said that the only thing they could do is send someone to sand the cabinets so that they are straight (right now, the cuts are very uneven), put in some sort of cushion that goes on either side of the stove, and seal off the opening on each side with a white spill-proof seal. When the "repairman" finally showed up (2-3 hours late) it was THE SAME ELECTRICIAN who had made such a mess with the installation! Not only did he not sand the cabinet edges or install the cushion, he "sealed" the edges with stainless steel strips- not white, claiming he went to 4 stores but was unable to find the white strips. The stainless steel strips look very tacky against white counters and a white stove! He also refused to install a bracket that came with the stove and supposedly is required to prevent tipping because, according to him, the bracket is only used in earthquake prone areas. Short of a lawsuit, we don't know where else to turn!

1-20 of 26 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.