Lowes - Valspar: Horrible Paint

1487 of 1621 Lowes Reviews
Sep 08, 2008
review #134589

We added a 700 sqft addition to our home using over a dozen gallons of primer and Valspar paint from Lowe's.We painted the room, then installed the floor, thus giving the paint over a week to dry.

One year later, we moved a chair that was in the corner, and it was stuck to the paint on the wall. We pulled the chair away and chunk of wall/paint came off. We also had the same problem with picture frames; paint stuck to the back, causing the pictures to stick to the wall. We literally had to pry the frames off.

I send both an e-mail and written letter, hoping for an apology and maybe an explanation, but nothing.It's just horrible paint, and even worse customer service...TJN

94d267f
Had an experience with Lowes?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
1487 of 1621 Lowes Reviews
Will never use again

Aug 17, 2011

I bought a gallon of Valspar outdoor latex paint and primer in one. Spent approx $50 @ Lowes And was told that this is their best quality paint, hence the price. I cleaned my garage door, and sanded the rough sections. Started with the first coat, and it was o.k. Until I got to the last panel of the door. The paint when applied started to form little bubbles when applied. Weird, since I hadn't changed anything in terms of brushes, application, and it was the same door. I poured a new batch from the can and started my second coat. The bubbles appeared even more than before. The only way for me to somewhat get rid of them was to allow the paint to sit for about 5 mins on the door, and then go back over it again in order to burst the bubbles. If you look closely, u can still see the bursted bubbles on the surface. Needless to say that I bought a few cans at the same time for different projects, but I'll be returning them.

Danielle

Aug 03, 2011

So we decided to re do our bathroom, and we chose valspar. It is the worst paint ever! It took about 4 coats, super tacky, and it is peeling off the walls and we just painted it 3 days ago. I don't even know what to do about it, it is just horrible. It still doesn't look even after the 4th coat. We are so aggravated. What was suppose to be a fun project ended up being a nightmare! :(

Texas Tilly

Aug 01, 2011

I painted with the high gloss paint on a dresser that had been sanded, cleaned, dried, primed twice with Valspar white primer and two coats of primer included paint. Each coat of primer and paint was allowed to rest 24 hours between coats. It was done indoors, in a climate controlled area. It has been over a month and it is still tacky to touch and it doesn't show any signs of drying because it is just as sticky now as it was two weeks ago.

For 40 years I have been painting, staining and so on things I have built myself as well as houses inside and out. The only time I had trouble it wasn't with the paint, until now. That being said, if you buy cheap, expect more coats and costs.

However, this time, it was the paint. I contacted the company via email and the rep was very friendly and willing to help. He said I didn't do it wrong and he doesn't know why it has done this and that he had not seen any problems with this particular batch of paint. He offered me a refund immediately, which is all you can expect. I believe it takes quite a combination of things to do it right, and we can't all be 100% perfect at anything. I also believe Valspar sells their products with good faith intentions or they would not willingly refund your money. If they didn't, they would be out of business in a heartbeat.

Chad B

Jul 25, 2011

Valspar..wtf? so after reviewing all of the negative *** that is being said i am not even going to use the unopened free gallon of white i found in the home im moving into.. glad i looked into it.

service searcher

Jul 18, 2011

No such thing as a paint and primer in one.. Paint was not bad after second coat, but the sell, I have never used an interior latex paint with such a strong, bad and long lasting odor. Enough to make eyes water and give headaches.. Lasted almost two weeks.
Will go back to Ben Moore Natura.

anonymous

Jul 12, 2011

"My husband and I have always used Valspar paint. This time, he tried a new finish, their Ultra Premium Kitchen and Bath Soft Gloss Paint. We've remodelled houses, built houses, and know how to prepare a wall. This one is going to have to be sanded, skimcoated, and repainted. It's peeling off the wall in multiple places, and is still sticky to touch after over 3 weeks on the wall in air conditioned conditions."

Builders dont use Valspar....ever.

Mark

Jul 11, 2011

Just used some custom mixed Valspar signature product from Lowes to paint some furniture. This stuff is awful. Some of the worst paint I've ever used and I've been painting for 30 years. I would not recommend this to anyone especially for the price you are paying. Definitely would NOT use for painting my house. It doesn't cover well at all, goes on horribly, does not hold a wet edge, and clean up is a mess. I had to throw out my high quality brush because it wouldn't come clean. I love Lowes, but DO NOT buy this product. Go somewhere else.

Jane

Jul 07, 2011

Don't buy this paint! Valspar paint fumes are strong even though they claim a "low fume" rating. Made me sick, no paint has ever done that to me before. My husband had to finish. Made him sick to. We painted our bathroom, the paint ran down the wall when we added the second coat. Had to sand those spots. The walls still feel sticky 2 weeks later. I would not recommend buying this paint product. :cry

C Forbin

Jul 06, 2011

Regularly shop at Lowes. If given a choice, I will shop Lowe's rather than Home Depot. So, I felt pretty confident purchasing their paint. I usually get Behr. This was the biggest mistake. This paint is cheap, does not cover well. Left roller marks on the wall. I generally find people who complain about a product, usually are overly picky. NOT THIS TIME. The product is not, absolutely not worth the money. Will continue to shop Lowe's, but will never buy paint from them.

G. Kippert

Jul 05, 2011

Painted my whole house with Valspar paint. As a non pro it seemed to cover well and looked good. Because scope of work was rather large decided to hire pro painter. It has been over 5 months and the trim paint (gloss white) feels tacky, it is not peeling just sticky to touch. The rep said cover it with a clear coat. My painter told me we need to sand it to give the clear coat some teeth. I don't know what to do with this substandard product. I do know it is costing time and money to correct a problem that should have not happened.I can't wait to see what Valspar recommends they have taken no action as of yet. oh I also have left messages for the rep that will not return a F phone call.

Valspar:  Paint Smell

Jul 05, 2011

I just painted my bedroom using Valspar asthma & allergy friendly paint. It smells worse than any other paint I have ever used. I expected more for the $57.98 price I paid for this 'special' paint. I would not recommend this paint to anyone with allergies.

Karen

Jun 17, 2011

We used Valspar primer about 2 weeks ago and it had a horrible smell. It smelled like cat urine. My husband and I figured it was the primer so we quickly painted over the primer in hopes of getting rid of this horrible smell. Well, its been 2 weeks now and the smell is just as bad. I have to keep spraying the room or lighting candles to mask the smell. I will never use this paint ever again. And by the way, 2 weeks later and the paint is still tacky.

P Murray

Jun 04, 2011

My wife and I bought a 3 year old home that had been foreclosed.. and right away began to paint the still "contractot white" walls throughout the house. I have been a contractor for 30+ years, and have always used Sherwin Williams paint until this house. Valspar HD is ***!!! It does not cover like they say, and even after two coats of this "one coat" paint.. there are streaks, and white spots where the paint did not cover properly. AND DON'T even try to go back and touch up a spot .. the color is not going to be the same. We properly prepared the surfaces.. and we only use professional quality brushes and rollers. The bottom line is VALSPAR it *** paint. Spend the extra buck and get a decent paint like Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore. Otherwise you are going to end up with a less than desirable paint job.

Michelle

May 18, 2011

Painted the whole interior of the house with Valspar. All of the seams ended up a different shade, they won't blend.....after the rooms were painted for a month, we had a new expensive mirror propped against the wall waiting to be hung. When going to get the mirror to hang it was sticking to the wall and even took the finish off the mirror....nice, what was more money wasted all of the crappy painted walls or the 8 foot mirror that now needs to be patched...get it right Valspar!

gds

May 14, 2011

:) I have used numerous brands of paints over the years for home and unit rentals. I have that "valspar" was the best choice to use. Climate and type of paint various which could have caused such an effect. gds...

Bill

May 10, 2011

We just used Valspar paint from lowes. Some was ok the rest was so watery - when it was rolled on it left bubble - huge bubble.
We left a pan of it out for several hours to dry out and it was much better like normal pain would be. I think they have added a lot of water to their paint - funny we bought this at a time when the paint went on sale - planned by Valspar - I think so - either watered it down to have more volume to sell or a manufacturing mistake and they wanted to get rid of it and make you think you were getting a great deal - NO deal at all. Poor poor quality

Bob

May 10, 2011

:( We added onto our bedroom and gave lowes the size of the room. They advised it would take two gallons, which that was not enough. Not to mention the paint just doesn't cover well at all and has streaks through out it. Valspar signature/primer sucks......

darla

May 07, 2011

I just used valspar for my master bathroom, a zen morning for arounf my garden tub in satin, a dark brown semi gloss for the cabinets and a light tan suede for the walls. This paint goes on well and covers nicely, I use primer regrdless of the job or pint I use as this creates the proper foundation-never ever had a problem with any of the Valspar paints, it cover the smoke covered ceilings on the home I bought, 1 coat after primer, used it in the bedrooms, both baths, furniture pieces etc. I enjoy Ralph Lauren and Behr as well, the only paint I love the colors of but not the paint is Martha Stewart-not sure why everyone seems to have a problem with Valspar, deep hued great pigments, nice coverage if you properly prepare the surface-I am a huge fan of Valspar.

kori brinson

May 03, 2011

i painted my liveing room with valspar its a joke! the can said one coat, yea right! the first coat wouldnt even stay on the wall i let it dry for an hour and it rolled right back off it was a nightmare! Ive got a few more rooms i want to paint but sorry valspar u wont be pick for the job! I 110% AGREE ITS HORRIBLE PAINT

dick/tall.fl.

Apr 27, 2011

hi all. I build high end heavy duty beach swings and chairs had been using all the Bride colors worked well,I get this order for a king size swing,king size chair,to be natural gloss,so i meet with valspar rep.he says use cabot gloss spar varnish,it is the best,ultimate u.v.protection,marine durability,exterior formulation and it remains flexible and will expand and contract. sounds great! cost more but it will hold up.guess what it did not,i had to drive 200 miles to pick them up and pay back $1100.00$. the rep. will not return my calls,i called lowes and talked to the store manger of witch he said he would have him call the same day,THATS BEEN SEVEN DAYS AGO AND NO CALLS,I GUESS I WILL LOAD THEM IN MY TRUCK WITH A BIG SING THAT SAYS VALSPAR CABOT THE REP.AND LOWES GEN.MANG.ALL SUCK AS MUCH AS THEIR PAINT DOES.

81-100 of 178 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Lowes.
Filing a new complaint about
×