Lowes - Veteran Discount Program

1162 of 1632 Lowes Reviews
Aug 23, 2010
review #195322

A few months ago I was pleased to learn that Lowes gave a 10% discount to veterans. Since I served my country in the United States Army from 1966 to 1969 with a tour of duty in Viet Nam, I felt that the Lowes discount was a nice gesture. All I had to do was show my discharge paper (DD214)at checkout and I would get the discount.

Last week I went to my local Lowes (Lake St Louis, MO) to purchase a lawn mower and was told that I needed a veterans ID card to get discount and that I could get the card at any VA hospital. OK -- so I called the VA hospital and was told those cards are only for veterans who qualify for VA health care. To qualify I would need to have low income! I don't need or want VA health care!

So, I went back to local Lowes to see what the intent of their change in policy really was. Did they want to restrict the veteran discount policy to low income veterans in need of VA health care?? The customer service folks wouldn't answer my question but kept repeating that was their policy and there was nothing they could do about it.

If Lowes really wants to eliminate me and other veterans like me from the discount program, so be it. However, I will be sure to take my business elsewhere.

9c4c13c
Had an experience with Lowes?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
1162 of 1632 Lowes Reviews
army strong

May 09

Hermatige,pa said the same to me... I serverd from 66 to 68 Vietnam . the would not houner my vetern card because of a picture ID ... I left a cart full of merchandise and walked out the door and went home depot no questions of my card or sevice .. they hounerd it and gave me my 10 percent discount

Ray

Sep 21, 2013 Bath, Maine

had the same problem today with my lowes in brunswick maine . i am a viet nam vet and i had been getting discounts for years and now there is a new manager so new rules apply . I will be taking my busness to home depot at least you know were you stand with them.

So Sad

Jun 29, 2013 Dallas, Texas

I keep reading " I took my business to Depot because Lowes asked for proof I didn't currently have on me."
Of course they did!!! They're offering a benefit for people who put their lives on the line for the country! Would you prefer they take your word for it along with any *** that didn't serve? They'd throw away so much money they'd be forced to cancel the program all together!
By the way, Lowes offers it year round. Depot only offers it on certain holiday weekends. Smart thinkin folks, that'll teach em!!

rj

Dec 04, 2012 Lilburn, Georgia

I just found out they offer 10% myself after spending 10s of thousands there over the years. As for the VA sir and anyone reading. You were misinformed. You must got to a VA Medical Center and talk to someone ie, advocate, case worker, IDK someone. I go to the VA for medical treatment for my primary care and I get no disability benefits. Once you start going there you will get an ID card.

The VA accepts insurance, I have Blue Cross. They are open to all vets, you may have to pay like myself but, still open. You may ask if I have good insurance why do I go? Well my co-pay is lower and prescriptions are right there and cheaper because I assume they are non-profit.

NC veteran

Oct 28, 2012

I have shopped at nearly all the Lowes around Charlotte NC. I usually show my retiree card but there are times they see my Desert Storm hat and give it to me with no problems at all.

I would think this would be a corporate policy but perhaps they leave it to each store manager.

I've actually seldom had trouble getting Veteran's discounts from any other store I go to. If they don't have one many times they give me employee discounts.

jeff

Oct 28, 2012

I lived in Littletomn, Colorado and the store accepted my American Legion, DD214, etc - great store for veterns.

I now live in Chesterfield, VA. They gave me a hard time for my $1 discount ($10 purchase). The manager said that I need to go to DMV (and wait forever in live) for a veterns ID.

A few weeks later I went back to purchase 440 at Lowes on Hull street, Chesterfield. The said that they needed my Vet Retirement Card. I said the policy is for VETERNS, et.al. It wasn't worth the figt, bu I left my purchase and went to Home Depot on Hull St. Midlothian, VA - no problem.

jeff

pissed off veteran!

Apr 06, 2012

today we went to Lowes to purchase a refrigerator,washer/dryer....found out they don't except "discharge papers" even with a valid drivers license!! well, out of luck! they just lost a $3000 sale... guess i will try "home depot".. think they need to rethink their policy. get it back to where it was. gee, i wonder why "home depot" is #1!!!!!
extremely pissed off!!!

William Longtin

Apr 03, 2012

Today we went to Lowes in Queensbury, NY to get the 10% discount on a stove we bought a few wks ago when we were denied the use of the dd 214 and photo drivers license that was always accepted in the past. now I was told they accepted cards with the info from the veterans agency. I received my card today from our counties veterans agency with all the info and took it to Lowes. After my wife talked to corporate and the manager at the store, we were told there would be no problem with getting the discount when the card was received...well.. the card they say is not accepeted!!! Once again Lowes doesn't stand behind their veterans, so veterans don't stand behind Lowes!!! We are done after all these yrs of being loyal customers...I am sure Home Depot will appreciate it....

a

Russell Burge

Apr 01, 2012

I went to a Lowes in Danville Il. on March 31, 2012 and when I showed my veterans card I obtained at the Danville Veterans administration office I was told that I had to have a piture Id. and that a regular vet. not disabled didn't get the discount every day. THANKS LOWE'S. :zzz :?

PGR guy

Dec 14, 2011

I purchased several American Flags for Patriot Guard Riders at Lowes. Showed my DD214, got 10% discount. I think that it is great for this store to offer 10% if even only on certain patriotic holidays.

joe

Nov 12, 2011

Lowes is great about the 10% discount. Home depot only give it to service related disabled vets? My fiend has been 10 years to get his 50% disability. I will not buy at Home Depot again. They only support reg vets 4 times a year. I have 25% according to my VA doctor but do not get any pay as of yet so no HD discount for me.

ray

Sep 21, 2013 Bath, Maine

thats not how it worked for me was the other way around, depends on the manager of the store they do what they to.

Larry Lanier

Nov 11, 2011

I suffered the same frustration at my Lowes on Veterans Day. I, too, am from the Vietnam generation and upon trying to buy an object I was told the only thing they accept is a photo military ID card. First off, I checked with my regional Vet Affairs Office and was told they are barraged with stores giving out the misinformation that a vet can get an ID card showing he served. THERE IS NO SUCH THING. The only military card you get is when you are active or in the reserves. I even had a picture of me from forty years ago in uniform and was refused with the explaination that I could have photo shopped the image. They didnt even consider my official discharge as proof.

bnx15

Oct 01, 2011

I just went to Lowes today to purchase some lumber. I found out that they no longer give veterans' discounts every day, only active duty , reserves, and retired military. They will still give vets discounts on July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Veterans day. I'm guessing Home Depot will follow suit.

Charles H Brewer    chbsab@ell

Aug 11, 2011

To get a veteran's drivers license in the state of Georgia you must show a DD-214 and Photo I.D. Then they will issue you a drivers license (Photo I.D.)for veterans. Lowes employee told me about the discount and it worked great. All at once they won't accept that and want a photo VA card.Which means I would have to travel over 100 miles one way just to get one. WHY the change.

Won't be back

Feb 04, 2013 Valley, Alabama

Had the same issue, won't be back with business since they pick and choose what they consider to be a vet. First they told me about the DL which is a state issued ID, in which I had to prove my vet status to, then I go back to make a purchase and I'm told the policy changed the policy. They showed me images of accepted ID's one of which is from an organization which clearly states it is not an official state or federal ID. As far as I'm concerned Lowes can get bent, and this vet will take my business elsewhere.

NcoClub

Jan 29, 2011

usmcdeathcard is absolutely right. Any veretan can get a veterans VA ID card reguardless of income. Go to the nearist VA facility and present your DD 214. IT TOOK ME APPROX 15 MIN TO GET MINE HERE IN VIRGINIA..as for the DD 214..remember people that you were in the service and am extremely familiar with this form. The civilian 19yr old cashier you present it to has NO CLUE. I am a veteran but I am getting sick of other veterans winning assuming that everyone else (civilians) know all the ins-and-outs of the military.

JDMASS

Dec 21, 2010

Here are the facts.....
1. Lowes gives a veterans discount 4 times a year. Veterans day.labor day weekend ,memorial day/weekend and July 4th the only id you need for that is discharge papers.
2. They give active military and retired military (20 years in) a discount all year long.
3. The VA card will get you the discount because they want to also assist any vets
who might have disabilities.

unsatisfied veteran

Dec 11, 2010

I am also a Vietnam Veteran and was very pleased to learn that Lowe's gives all veterans a 10% discount. I was thinking that possibly someone in the world might be patriotic, I was wrong! I went to the Harriman, Tennessee store to purchase a few items. I showed the cashier my DD-214 and my photo ID on my driver's license. However, this apparently doesn't work. The woman told me that my photo had to be on the DD-214 in order to recieve the discount, and she acted like it was very simple to get my photo on my DD-214...well it's not! I tried two different locations, but had no luck. One location told me they didn't do it at all, and the other one said that it would be at least a three month waiting period. Guess this is just another way for Lowe's to scam the veterans!

1-20 of 26 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Lowes.
Filing a new complaint about
×