Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Lowes

I just purchased my first home and went to Lowes in Meriden, CT on Sunday at approximately 6 pm. I chose paint colors from their paint wall and ordered paint to be picked up first thing the next morning. When I arrived at the store the next morning I was told the store had been closed and denied entry. I was directed to another Lowes. I drove to the other Lowes and proceeded to the paint counter to explain my situation. I was then told by the man behind the counter that I would have to wait 15 mins before he could help me as I was "not a priority." I wandered around for the 15 mins and then went back to the counter. I gave the man the paint swatches from the Lowes wall in Meriden and asked that he make the colors in a gallon. I also had the sample size jars of the paint with me and the color codes on them. He proceeded to mix the first gallon and when it was showed to me it was not even close to the color I chose. The man sighed but agreed it was not the color. He told me he had to help the other customers and then could try my paint again. So I was again sent away for 15 mins to wander the store. I found a manager and explained my situation and my concern with the situation I was presented with. He assured me they would take care of it and led me back to the paint counter. The man then attempted to mix my paint, which I remind you is a Valspar Lowes paint color. Again the color does not even come close to the swatch or the sample. At this point the man tells me they will have to do a custom color match through the computer and that once again I need to go away and come back in twenty minutes this time. I once again agreed as I needed the paint because the painters were already at my house waiting on me to bring the paint. The man tried a third time to make the paint which once again did not come out correct. At this point the man told me I was being "difficult" and that it was close and I should just "deal with it." To this the woman behind me stood up and told the man the color was not even close and that I was not being "difficult." At this point I went to the customer service desk and again asked to speak to the manager. He came back out and told me the man at the paint counter was a master and he was the only one who could do it so that was obviously the best color I could get. They were not at all helpful and at this point it had been almost 4 hours since my Lowes ordeal began at the first Lowes store. I was so upset that I walked out of the store and found a Home Depot. I explained my situation and in 10 minutes I had my paint prefectly matched and was on my way!!!!!! I will forever be a Home Depot customer after this experience!!! AVOIDS LOWES at all cost!!!!!!!

Ihad the same problem tonight with paint dept. I wanted a valspar SHADE in Olympic and dept manager would not eve try to match the SHADE.

She told me NO that she could not do that and if i wanted that color i had to buy it in valspar. Huh??? I went two days ago and bought a gallon there of valspar paint shade in olympic paint with no problem why now do i have a manager give me grief!! I dont want valspar i want olympic I dont want valspar tomato red I want a SHADE close to it in Olmpyic why is that so hard.

I guess I will take my business to sherwin williams or home depot.

Sucks cuz i really like olympic paint but i will be darn if i give lowes any of my business now! :(

I'm having a paint issue with Lowe's right now that I'm hoping to have resolved tonight. I do not like Valspar paint, but I do like Olympic that they carry. I've always been able to get Valspar colors mixed in Olympic paint. I understand that it might not be exact, but as long as it is close, I'm fine with it.

There is a color of pink I want for my dining room. It is very pale, but definitely pink. Got a sample mixed in Olympic last week and it was almost perfect. I went yesterday to get a gallon mixed. It was hard to tell wet, but it looked close. I get it home and start painting, it comes on a gray-tan color. Not even close to pink.

I took a picture of the color next to the sample of the supposed same shade painted on the wall and you can tell even in a cell phone picture, it is not even in the same ballpark. I called last night and talked to a guy that said bring it in and they can mess with it and fix it.

So I went back in this morning and I explained that I like the lightness of the color, I wanted a very pale color, just a color that was clearly pink and not gray or tan. I pointed out again before he worked with it that I wanted a very light color.

He takes it behind the counter, pinks with it, and shows me the result. My supposed pale blush is now close to hot pink. I tell him WAY too dark and he works with it again. A little lighter, but still nowhere close to being close. Then a girl comes over and works with it. It's now a salmon mess.

She then says well I should have just gotten the Valspar in the first place. Besides the fact that I hate the thickness and sheen of Valspar it's $12 more per gallon. I told her I can't stand the consistency of Valspar and that I understand it might not be an exact match I just wanted something slightly close.

I left with my salmon paint and tried it. It's the worst yet. I'm going to try to get a manager tonight and see what can be done.

hopefulregret

There is no such thing as a 'paint master'. The people who work in Lowe's paint department are merely employees who have received a bit of extra training (mainly to learn, via computer, how to operate the machinery within that department specifically) and most of them opted to transfer out of the front end/cashiering department to avoid dealing with customers anymore than they absolute have to. It's absolutely ridiculous.

View more comments (2)

Lowes in Puyallup, Washington - Poor install carpet

Had new carpet put in entire house. Eighteen months later the carpet had rolls in it. Lowes said it is because carpet is made in the south and the climate change to WA makes it stretch out later. Refused to do anything as over one year warranty. How convenient of them! If it was installed correctly to begin with, would not have had a problem. I have never had carpet in any house that I have lived in come loose all over. Seems like they have excuses for everything to explain away their shoddy professional installations so they do not have to give you a refund or fix it.

had carpet installed 3 years ago not quite that long ,Since the carpet was 2 years it has stretched till its ***.Have complained to manager,e-mailed company they will not backup what i paid 3000.00 for but glad to cash check.

Product
Lowes Warranty

Lowes in Palm Springs, California - Sales Specialist did not complete order.

I requested that Lowes install a security/screen door from a Sales Specialist on June 6, 2011. An installer came out to measure the door two days later. When the sales specialist called with the measurements, I told her that he measured for the wrong kind of installation. She said that she would send someone else out to re-measure. As of today, August 16, 2011, no one has come out. I have spoken with her and a supervisor and no one has taken care of this problem. I am appalled by the lack of professionalism and unreliability of such a large company. I will take my business elsewhere.

thats probably because you are a ***

Service
Lowes Installation

LOWES Closes Store - Overnight!

Lowes Corporate Office decided to close our local store overnight, and without letting customers know ahead of time. No signs posted anywhere in the store, nothing in the local newspaper. One day open - next day closed. They apparently didn't even bother to let the majority of the employees know until last night, when the crew showed up to take down the lettering on the building...... I went to check prices on safety glasses, and found a security guard in front of the closed store. One gentleman was lucky, he was able to pick up the door he purchased a couple of days ago - instead of having to drive almost 50 mile to the nearest store! It's not the way to treat your customers, so I am now an EX-customer at Lowes!

Hopefully Menards is in your town! They have never closed a store.

Lowes in Detroit, Michigan - Valspar Paint and Primer in one

I am painting a 10 x 10 room. I bought the paint and primer in one, hoping to get good coverage. The color underneath is a medium to light purple. Not very dark, and we are on coat #3. I paid extra $$ for the primer built in, and its been nothing but a big waste of time. I may even have to go back to the store for an extra quart because I am running out of paint, and I still dont have good coverage. I would never recommend this paint to anyone, and I hope whoever reads this will be saved some headache by buying a different brand :(

I have been mixing and selling paint for about 25 years and I can tell you for a fact that there is no such thing as paint and primer in one when it comes to latex house pints for interior or exterior. Lowes/Home Depot both use these lies to sell more paint. It is a absolute lie!

Agreed for sure! We are in the process of painting a lavender colored room john deere green and we are on our third coat of the basic paint and primer.

I thought maybe if we had bought the premium quality it would be better but reading reviews it looks like it wouldn't have. Previously we used Glidden paint and primer from Wal-mart and it was amazing!

Only 2 quotes needed and was cheaper in price. We have purchased Glidden in green to finish the job we started with Valspar!

Valspar Premium paint and primer sucks! I just bought $165 worth of paint that is worthless.

I primed the walls before painting and it still won't cover. Multiple coats...this stuff sucks. I am going back to Benjamin Moore (primer and paint) are separate but the look is far superior!

p.s., even the premium latex semi gloss trim paint and primer sucks. Pretty useless stuff all around!

We primed our wall, then used the combo paint/primer thinking it would give good coverage. Wrong!

We are about to put on the 4th coat to try to get it from streaking and drying unevenly. This is just basic white paint.

We've never used Valspar before, and never again.

We'll go back to Sherwin Williams or even Home Depot paint.

Agreed!! I painted my new home with ith and these walls were perfect new walls!!

Thus paint has dried terrible, roller marks and the coverage is awful. It dries thick. It is in my entrance and stairway... I am very upset.

iMac have to get another brand to completely paint over. :cry

People need to understand that "Paint and Primer in One" is a "marketing" term brought to the market by BEHR paint. BEHR did a great job of deceiving the American market and making them think the paint already has the primer mixed in it. The market became so accustomed to the term, that all other paint manufacturers had to jump on board with the term.

A "Paint and Primer in One" really means that you can apply "two" coats of paint without using a primer as a base coat. These paints have a higher solid content and as a result dry to a higher mill thickness giving you the ability to get better coverage in one coat, but does not mean you will not need a second coat over an improperly prepared surface.

The other thing that needs to be considered is what type of applicator you are using. If you buy a premium paint like Valspar, it needs to be applied with a premium roller cover. If you have a light texture on the wall, you should use a lambskin 3/4 inch nap roller. I can assure you if you would have used the Valspar High Hide Primer and one coat of your "Paint and Primer in One" your project would have been complete.

Valspar's Signature line of paint is the #1 rated interior paint among all national paint brands because it offers the best one coat coverage (using the right applicator), largest color selection, best fade resistance, and scrubbability.

@Paint Pro

Thank you "Paint Pro"! I used to work at Lowes, was manager of Paint Dept for 4 years.

I couldn't of explained this any better.

"Paint and primer in one" is basically a play on words.

If you would take the time to read the can it will tell you that a primer is still needed if going over painted walls I have used Valspar and loved it maybe it’s the operator

There is no primer in paint. It is the solid content.

Coverage has many variables. What nap size roller you use, what sheen you are covering, what prep you did, what color you are covering. You should have used a high hide primer first.

I've used Valspar paint and love it rated #1 by national testing. I wouldn't use any other.

nikalseyn

The problem is not Lowe's, but the paint manufacturer, Valspar. That is not really a good paint, and it is not recommended to use a paint with the primer and top coat in one.

It does not work well at all, but this nonsense seems to be the rage now as people think it will save them time. It does not. On a bare drywall, use a good latex primer and then two coats of paint. On previously painted walls, use a good paint and you may or may not get by with one coat---sometimes you do need to put two coats on.

Do not use Valspar or Dutch Boy paints---they do not cover well. Pittsburg paint works well as does Sherwin-Williams. Oddly enough, and I hate to recommend anything Sears sells, but their top paints are quite good. All paints are now expensive and I thus buy paint only when it is on clearance---places like Meijers always sell their mistints(people don't like the colour they mixed after all)for at least 50% off.

I usually wait and buy paint for anywhere from $4 to $8.

By the way, if you are having trouble with this paint, you need to tell Lowe's about it and take back what you have left and demand a refund.

They need to know people are having a problem with a paint they sell. I have always found Lowe's reasonable on most things not up to expectations.

View more comments (9)
Review

Lowes in Orlando, Florida - Bad place to shop!!!!

I went to Lowe's this morning to make a return as I walked in the line was long noone came over to help the poor child.She looked over at the customer service desk and saw noone was there so she told us that she can take some of us over there.Myself snd another gentleaman went around to her. As we got over there another gentleman got there before we did.She looked at us and to us I don't know why she sent ya'll around here.And I was very upset.And sent us back.

Lowes & Whirpool compaint

I bought a Whirpool Refg. from Lowes on Hwy 280 B'ham Al. spent $2500. on July 16, 2011. It was delivered on August 1, 2011 and would not come on, the delivery guys from Lowes took it back to the store. They "Lowes" ordered us another one it came in today only to have dents in the side of the refg. Spent $2500.00 for a new refg. and still don't have one. By the way I have alredy paid for it along with a new stove & dishwasher over $5000.00 spent at Lowes. NOT HAPPY WITH LOWES OR WHIRPOOL !!!!!!! Gene Murdock Birmingham, AL.

Lowes in Baltimore, Maryland - Lowe's Appliance Installation

About two months ago we bought four appliances from Lowe's in Timonium, MD. Three out of the four appliances were delivered without a problem, but when it came to our Samsung refrigerator...that was a different story. When the original refrigerator was delivered by the sub-contracting delivery service that Lowe's goes through, Big E Transportation, the delivery man was showing us how to use our ice maker that is in the refrigerator section. When he pulled it out and put it back in he tried to pull it out again and it wouldn't come out to which he said, "well, you get the picture." After waiting the 72 hours that the instructions tell you to wait before consuming ice, the ice maker would not produce any cubes. When we tried to take it out to see if there was something going on, it wouldn't come out. We called Lowe's, who told us that it was probably a manufacturers defect and that we had to contact Samsung. When the Samsung repair man came out he looked at it and said that it was installed improperly causing the water to pour down into the ice maker causing the ice maker to freeze onto itself. Our options were to call Lowe's and try to get another refrigerator or to take everything out of our fridge, let it air out for 3 days and see if the ice would melt. Naturally, we decided to get another fridge, which was great! When the second refrigerator was being delivered, we were focusing our attention on the putting together of the refrigerator and ice maker to make sure that it was being done properly. The ice maker thankfully worked but we noticed a giant gauge taken out of our kitchen floor. This time we had to contact Big E Transportation to see what they could do about it. After having someone come out and take pictures, they said that they would give us a check to get our floor replaced. But our kitchen floor matches our foyer floor so we had to pay out of pocket to get the foyer replaced as well. When the sub-contractor for our flooring (not affiliated with Lowe's) came out to install our floor, he was moving the refrigerator out of the kitchen and noticed that the front wheel on the fridge was bent and broken which is what caused the gauge in our floor. After further investigation, we discovered that not only was the front wheel bent and broken but so was the back wheel along with the whole bottom right side of our fridge was dented in. After moving the refrigerator totally out the gauge not only was where we thought it was but also the whole length of the refrigerator back. It seems to me that the delivery people dropped the fridge when they were getting it out of the truck and failed to tell us. The simple fact is that it is extremely obvious when the refrigerator is pulled the whole way out and the fact that the delivery company HAD to know about this and FAILED to tell us is unacceptable. We are now in the process of speaking to a Lowe's manager to see how we can correct this issue because this will be our THIRD refrigerator. The fact that this is not a manufacturers defect but simply the fact that the delivery company that Lowe's choose to go through is incompetent is ridiculous. I am beginning to get fed up with Lowe's in general. Even though our sales representative is trying to be helpful, it just gets to a point where I am tired of being inconvenienced, handing out money that I was not intending on, and am getting no sort of compensation for my troubles is starting to get to me. Hopefully, the manager at Lowe's will help me this time, otherwise this is the LAST time I am purchasing anything that needs to be delivered and installed through Lowe's.

dont count on sears to be any better at delivery/setup, they scratched and dented all 3 times they tried to deliver our samsung fridge. finally i touched up the paint with a sharpie but never again will i have them deliver stuff, i can do it myself alot better.

Service
Lowes Delivery Service

Lowes/scam artists

My husband and I went to lowes to purchase new carpet, they tell us they will send someone out to take measurements which would cost 35 dollars, no problem pay them and someone comes out (before anyone comes out my husband measures himself, and measured way larger than what was actually there to beable to estimate a price) the guy comes out measures shows me the measurements I am not sure so we go in the next day to take a look when my husband looks at the measurements he tells me they are MORE THAN DOUBLED (ps the carpet we are buying the the MOST EXPENSIVE they carry)when the manager sees my husband is concerned he starts to get nervous, so my husband askes if we can have a copy of the measurements THAT WE PAID FOR the manager refuses to let us have them and tells us YOU DON'T NEED THEM!! so now I am ticked and tell them we are not buying carpet from them, when we went home my husband remeasures to be sure his measurements are correct and of course they are, so we get a phone call not from the manager but a guy that works at lowes, and he wants to know why we arent making the purchase, I am very honest with him and tell him Lowes is shady and refuse to EVER buy anything there again......no one even appologizes, and I feel like we paid for the measurements to be taken aren't we entitled to have atleast a copy???? Needless to say I will be using HOME DEPOT from now on. DON'T BUY FROM LOWES I know this is an assumption but I think the guy that was doing the instalation knew exactly what he was doing and that this was the best carpet, I think he was going to keep the extra carpet and sell it himself, and POCKET ALOT OF MONEY, ps I didn't know but Lowes says they have contractors that have nothing to do with lowes except to do instals so when you make a complaint about this sort of thing Lowes TAKES NO RESPONSIBILITY they pass the buck to the contractors and the contractors pass the buck back to Lowes......just dont do business with them it's not worth the headache.

Im not working for Lowe's. I do know that carpet comes in 12' W and long as need most of the time you will pay extra for cuts.

I don't know how many cuts you have there but think about it. so when you buy carpet take in mind that the size + 35%

Softfuzzy | 1 min ago

Lowes is stealing customers money by refusing to issue refunds for mdse never delivered- it's over a month and counting - I want to hear from Niblock.

Lowes is now running a swindle thru their stores.

I left him my name and number- thru his executive services- any bets on whether he will respond. Probably in meetings trying to figure out how to massage next quarter to shareholders and what customers he can steal from!!!

I want my $1,200!!!!!!!! So I can buy doors from HD and dry in my building that has been setting open because of two months of Lowes holding my money!!!!! LOWES you are a THIEF!!! A Fake, and Liars!!!!! Help Lowes is a Theiving company holding my money hostage!!

Bblack

GETTING CARPET FROM LOWES IS RIDICULOUS!!! I spoke to someone from a REAL CARPET STORE and he said in no way shape or form should anyone ever NEED DOUBLE carpet and the estimate shouldn't be DOUBLED EITHER he said it was a SHADY DEAL!!!

DO NOT BUY CARPET FROM LOWES!!!

Lowes has a policy in place where if the installer estimates more than 10% of what is needed to do any job you will be given a refund for whatever left over product there is and any labor that was not used installing what was left over.

IT WAS DOUBLED!!! I understand having to have some extra carpet but DOUBLED?

that seems ridiculous, the price should have been close to 1500.00 and the guy at Lowes told us it was going to be over 3000.00 to carpet alittle over 300 sq ft. I agree with whom ever said got to a CARPET STORE for carpet, I will stick with lowes for other things but go somewhere else for carpet!

First let me say that I am and have been a Lowe's Installer for 7 years. The $35.00 fee the customer is charged is paid to the sub-contractor to pay for the time and fuel to perform the customers measure.

If the customer elects to use Lowe's installations, the fee is deducted from the final price the customer pays but is still paid to the sub. Second, in the time I have been associated with Lowe's, I have found their organization to one of the best in the business to insure customer satisfaction. I install for a number of stores and their dedication to insuring the customer is happy is passed along to their installers. If unfortunately their was a problem, the complaint is handled by the store not the installer.

Each store has an Installed Sales office to coordinate installations and communicate any issues with the customer directly.

Not to mention the competition by name, they farm out their work to an outside installation service which then subs it out to an substantially under paid installer in comparison to industry standards. Bottom line, everyone has complaints but to be honest, if I thought Lowe's was corrupt or unfair I sure wouldn't be writing this.

PS. read the last part of your statement.

From what i know, contractors do not know which carpet you are getting until they show up in the store to pick it up, or at our house. They measure, and then the associate adds up your order according to the measurements. They can not charge you for the carpet until they know how much you need.

I am sure you and the associate talked about your carpet when you paid for the detail, but the contractor wouldn't know anything. He gets the fax with your address and info, gos to your house, measures, then sends us the results.

I work at a lowes store. We are actually not "aloud" to let customers "have" the detail they paid for, but showing them has never been a problem.

At my store employees go over the detail with their customers piece by piece.

Not sure what that guys problem was. All that aside, any time a customer gets upset in our store, especially over something that simple, we have given them a copy of the detail.

Whether or not the husband has ever installed carpet before is irrelevant. The question should be, “can he use a tape measure correctly” since the main disagreement was about the actual room measurements, not about installation techniques.

I have no doubt that the subcontractor’s measurements were inflated and that they were trying to rip this customer off. I say this because I just had a similar experience with Lowes in San Diego. The subcontractor-Lowes-customer relationship is simply unacceptable. For some unexplainable reason, Lowes refuses to give the customer a copy of the measurements and installation plan from the subcontractor. Also, since Lowes did not generate the plan and measurements, they cannot answer any questions about it. There are no checks and balances here. If the subcontractor wants to inflate the numbers to increase the total cost of the project, they are free to do so since Lowes does not check up on them and the customer isn’t allowed to discuss it with them directly (prior to purchase and installation).

After spending more than a week trying to get answers from the Lowes salesperson about details of the carpet installation plan, I decided to give up the $35 measurement fee and take my business somewhere else. I went to a store that only does carpet and flooring. I was treated with respect, was quoted a fair price for the carpet, and had the opportunity to discuss installation plans directly with the people who would be doing the work – including number and locations of every seam in the carpet installation.

If you need to buy a new drill, I’m sure that you can find a good deal at Lowes. If you need to install carpet/flooring, go to a carpet store.

Lowe's installers go through an extensive background check before hiring and their work is checked all the time, plus the customer is called to make sure they are happy with the job. The customer also grades the installer for his work.

If you don't like the contractor for any reason ask them to send out another.

Ask yourself this....how many houses has your husband carpeted?

View more comments (9)
Review

Lowes in Enumclaw, Washington - Lowe's rep recommended Valspar Bonding Primer --it's no good!!

June,2011: Lowe's paint salesperson assured me that if the primed my varnished oak chairs with Valspar Bonding Primer I would not have to sand -- big mistake!! I primed the chairs and waited one to three days to paint with Valspar Black Indoor/Outdoor High Gloss paint. Six weeks later the chairs are still tacky to the touch and you slightly stick to the chair when sitting in it! I went back to Lowe's last week and asked the paint employee about this situation. He acted like he had never heard of the problem before. Now I see all of these negative reviews-- surely they need to change their product! I am going to ask for a refund, but I wasted time painting these 5 chairs.

I wish I’d read this BEFORE using #VALSPAR #STAINBLOCKING #BONDING #PRIMER/SEALER.This crap just ruined my brand new out of the box closet organizing system. Four towers and 15 drawers later it allllll peels off but only sticks in the nooks and crannies

DO NOT BUY “VASPARs STAINBLOCKING BONDING PRIMER/SEALER” !!!It DOES NOT stick to ceramic tile, DOES NOT stick to glass, it DOES NOT stick to glossy surfaces! HUUUUUGE waste of my time, let alone the high cost for this primer.It’s all FALSE ADVERTISING!

Product bonds well but is too thick to work and instructions say not to thin. SW is superior.

I also learned the hard way that you cannot use latex or acrylic water based paint and oil based paint together . That is the problem you are having.

You must use a latex or acrylic water based paint over the bonding primer. You could have spray painted right over your oak chairs without doing anything else to them. Same goes for stain and varnish.

Water and oil don't mix. I personally take with a grain of salt the advice I recieved from the store

Why blame the primer it's the paint that didn't dry. I guess if you would of sanded it you would have found out the paint hadn't dried.

Common sense would have been your friend that day. I'm surprised you didn't blame the sun for not being hot enough.

@perry yo

would HAVE, not of.

@perry yo

You’re a joke!I have also just used this primer. Wasted 2 days of priming 15 drawers and 4 closet towers!

Says on can it dries to touch in one hour but can be revolted 4 hrs later. 8 hrs later it all scrapes off!!!

I put the primer on a bathtub, a plastic or fiberglass construction, along with a couple of coats of paint. Is it possible to "remove" all the paint AND the bonding primer?

If so, how? thanks

I'm thinking it wasn't the primer, it was the paint you used. I've had a problem with some of their paints.

I am using the primer right now on glossy cabinets and so far so good. I will do an update when I can if I prove myself wrong.

p.s.

We all know that a high gloss paint can be very sticky, so why blame the primer? I don't know what 'sanding' would have done to the primer (?)

yes it sounds like it was put on too thick or it was to humid outside where you painted and moisture got trapped under the paint and that is causing the delayed drying time

it sounds like you put the gloss paint on too heavy - how humid or hot was it where you painted - that effects drying time. All Paint especially furniture can take 3-4 weeks to cure completely

View more comments (10)