Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show

Lowes in Columbia, Maryland - Lowe's - ignorance at its best!

I bought a Porter-Cable dovetail machine online. A few days later I decided to get a mini-dovetail template to go along with it. Deltaportercable.com listed a local Lowes as a supplier of the part. I called the local store and punched-in the extension number for tools. I get the wrong department and was told they'd transfer me to the proper department. After waiting 15 minutes on hold, I wrote an e-mail to Lowe to complain about their poor service. I hung up when I had been waiting 20 minutes. For those of you who don't tinker with wood, whenever you look at a cabinet or desk drawer and see interlocking "fingers" of adjoining panels, you're looking at a dovetail joint...something ANY carpenter...professional or amatuer...is very familiar with. The next day I was at another store near Lowe's, so I dropped into Lowe's as well, hoping they'd have the template on-hand. Nobody in that store knew what a dovetail is...and that's supposed to be a "lumber" store! If that weren't bad enough, on the way out I passed the plumbing department and saw a customer with an obvious problem: he was trying to fit a 1-1/2" tailpiece (the drain part which comes directly down from the sink) into a 1-1/2" trap he'd brought with him, and it wouldn't fit. The clerk was hemming and hawing but has no idea as to how to solve the problem. When I pointed to the customers 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" reducing washer in the trap and told him a plain 1-1/2" washer would make it work, he lit up and said, ""You mean I just need a different washer?," and the clerk simply looked dumfounded. What pure ignorance this store was plagued with! Seeing a salesperson who makes a mistake now and then is normal, but this comedy of errors indicated clearly how little Lowe's really cares about customer service! (NOT!) Yes, this was in only one store, but Lowe's has plenty of resources to train ALL of their personnel! The place was disgusting.

I have spent too much time at Lowes over the years. The things I have seen show how poor the management really is.

I can't understand where they find these people. Lowes does have the means to train their employees but don't really bother. One employee told me he was an electrician by trade by the management assigned him to plumbing because "they" felt he would be better suited there. I have seen employees start in one department and "transfered" to another department for no reason.

If you ask a manager to simply cut a key they insist on "calling" somebody else to do it. I get the managing thing, but when I have already been waiting 10 minutes? Then, you find associates who do work, are helpful, and really know what they're doing. They don't stay for long because of the *** they have to deal with from "above"..

I have even overheard the store manager himself say he didn't care that the cashier outside was struggling to keep the money from flying out of her drawer due to the wind (although she is the one who would get written up if she lost anything).

Its not that they don't have the help to train them. All the training is done on computers. However, The managers don't want to help customers by covering for the associate that has to do the training.

If you go to Lowes on a day when they have their "manager's meetingS" you will be waiting FOREVER to speak to one. If you care about customer service go to a small hometown hardware store where they actually care about the customer!

It's not just Lowes. Consumers want lower prices so the big home centers buy cheaper material, cut staff, hire cheaper part time help that doesn't get trained because there isn't enough help to train them. If you want good help go to a small hometown hardware store.

View more comments (1)
Review
#192010 Review #192010 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Lowes Valspur Granite Paint is a Nightmare to Apply with a 1.25in Roller

Valspur and Lowes are pulling a fast one on consumers with their Valspur Granite paint. They say apply it with a 1.25in roller. You will never achieve results that are anywhere close to the swatch samples doing it the way they recommend.It will simply look like you have painted clumpy cat liter onto your walls. This paint must be applied with a paint gun sprayer to achieve the results resembling what the swatch's look like. If you apply it will a 1.25in roller you will have a disaster on your hands.The only way to remove it from your walls is with sanding it off!!!! Beware!!!

This paint is beautify, but what a nightmare do not use a roller that is a waste of time I found out early on so I used a brush and it took days for me to finish, and worst of all It's red and after 10 years I want it off, if you put a nail in the wall to hang something and then one day you need to pull it out, it leaves a white hole and it looks real bad so you really cant hang things on the wall with this paint it goes down to the drywall

This paint is very difficult. Had to get a professional to apply.

I am now selling my house with those textured walls and the sell depends on my patching the holds from my mounted TV.

Does anyone have any left over paint they would sell me.. I will pay for shipping too.

Dbwolonick@yahoo.com

I started painting my master bath with this valspar granite paint from lowes after the drywall surface was destroyed by trying to remove wallpaper. It's a small room & to get the appearance of the swatch I have already used 3 gallons on a 6x5 room & haven't touched one wall.

I can't afford a sprayer so I've just closed the room off until I can figure it out. Makes me sick to look at it.

I went according to directions & I agree it looks like sprinkled kitty liter!! Horrible product!!

@Teresa

Do you have any of the paint left... I need some for touch up.

I a willing to pay for it and the shipping. Reply to : dbwolonick@yahoo.com

I tried the first coat, just as the directions said. It was auful and looked like dark cat litter.

The second coat helpsed but it really took a leap of faith to do that second coat.

It looks better but still it looks nothing like the swatch. I've used it successfully Ralph Lauren Suede in the past I'll stick with the next time I need texture.

it's real ***. do not by extrimly danger fot valet.

I used this paint and it was wonderful! I used a 4 inch skinny roller with a thicker nap.

I worked in smaller sections and it went on perfectly. I worked it in random directions, it is hard to work the paint, but the end result is absolutely amazing. After I finished I went back over the walls looking for places I needed it. Use the correct tools, keep your roller full, and expect to use elbow grease and you will be happy with the result.

It actually looked so good with the first coat a second wasn't needed. If anyone would like a picture leave me your email address and I can send one.

I just bought this Horrible paint myself for my daughters room.

Big mistake!!!! It looks soooo bad I wish I would of never walked

into Lowes!!!! I also bought everything the guy told me to buy... I even went back to ask for help.... He told me to try other steps! It looks Worse!! I would Not recommend this Paint to Anyone!!! Do not waste your Money!

I also called Valspar to see if they could give me any pointers..... Nothing!!! DO NOT BUY THIS PAINT!!!! From a 1-10 review deff a -10 (negative 10!)

You do realize that the granite paint would not go through a paint sprayer as it is full of large grains and would clog in a sprayer.

We're moving into a house that has Granite on the walls of one room. We hate the look.

What is the best technique for painting over this without having the grittiness poking through?

Do we have to sand it?

@chris

Why don't you go to you tube or consult a decorator... or even call the manufacturer to get advice rather than a consumer complaint website?

My walls are platered and I used this paint in four of my rooms and it looks great. I did not use rollers because I could not get the desired look that I wanted so instead I used sponges.

I'll add that this took a lot longer but I ended up with the exact results I wanted. Also I made the mistake of not applying clear coat over the finished walls, so if you use this paint be sure to add the clear coat.

This type of paint job takes much patience and cannot be rushed. I have the kitchen, living room, and bedroom all painted with the granite look and they each look great.

The second step shouldn't be done until the the next day if possible. The first coat needs to dry completely so that it takes to the wall almost as if you were applying stucco. The second step with give that ultimate look that we all admired in the store when looking at the swatches. Just do it exactly the way it says, in X's.

There isn't any special way to do it. The more freely you are with your x's the better of a look you will end up with.

mprice03

I agree. This paint is a nightmare.

I put on my kitchen walls and they look HORRIBLE. I have to sand them and prime them ...so more money and time...geeez. This is ridiculous.

They should have somebody at Lowes that could advise the customers that we need a spray gun. I asked many questions about the paint, what roller I need, etc, they showed me the "tools" I bought everything they recommended..still my walls look like ***

Nobody cares about your secret identity!

Valspur Valspar who really gives a *** ***. The *** paint doesn't *** work.

I have a suggestion why don't you bring your *** companyman *** over and paint my *** walls. Better yet put the *** paint on your on *** walls ***. Here's another idea since you love this *** paint so much, why don't you drink it.

Yeah and let me know if it taste ***. Have a nice *** day shitface-NOT!!!!

Fat Mart cart rider

It's not valspur, it's valspar. VALSPAR.

V A L S P A R! Get it right.

The question I have, is did you buy the RIGHT roller? The granite paint looks great, but it takes a good bit of work to apply.

A quick google search shows that they suggest a thick nap roller, 1.25" as you say. However they add that you should work in SMALL sections, of about 3 feet each. Once the first coat is done, you then add the second coat with a larger paint brush using an X pattern. It's this second coat that actually causes the granite effect, and it (the second coat) can not be applied with anything other than a brush.

No roller, nor paint sprayer. Looking at your complaint, I think you skipped the second step.

View more comments (17)
Review
#191978 Review #191978 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Lowes in Weare, New Hampshire - On Line pricing higher in store

Made a list of materials from "on-Line Lowes" Total cost came out over $60 higher when I went to the store to purchase. Had all the Item numbers, but the same thing in the store had a different item number (and of course a higher price) Manager said: on-line was only for home delivery.(and of course there is a delivery charge) Why did I have to indicate on line, which store I was going to go to to make the purchases???? Is this a "bait and switch", or just a rip by any name ??? Home Depot just acquired another customer.
Review
#190746 Review #190746 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Lowes in Greenville, South Carolina - Took a job away from me by offering warranty

Recently I took my customer to pick out some upgraded window blinds. After taking a measure. The sales girl told my customer, they(LOWES) would offer a lifetime warranty on the blinds, but in order to receive a warranty, installation would have to be done by Lowes. They would also have to measure to guarantee accuracy. After my customer recognized me as her contractor, the sales girl continued her spill. Lowes has stolen a job from me and I will from this day on let everone know how Lowes does business. Lowes will cut your throat. They made me look incompitant to put in window blinds. I have worked for this family for 12 years. I asked a Lowes manager why they would stoop to taking jobs away from the people that send them the most business. His response was, sir my hands are tied. We have to do what Lowes corporate tells us to do. They are told to do whatever it takes to boost sales. So I will now refuse to purchase anymore from Lowes. However I will make an attempt to let all the Lowes representatives in every store know, about how they steal jobs from contractors.
#1019372

Wow sales associate was wrong. Levolor offers a 10 year warranty on blinds. Lowe's if installed by them offers a one year warranty.

After bringing over $80,000. in material sales to Lowes in Morehead City N.C.

last year, the same was done to us. The salesman instead of just excepting the payment for material for our client, proceeded to sell them on Lowes installing his new roof. We have a small business and cannot afford to be undermined, by what is suppose to be a upstanding company.

Very dirty way to do business. :sigh

Try being a better contractor, take the information to the customer to pick out what they want. Be a salesmen, not just a contractor.

Try being an employee of Lowes. Lowes will cut your throat and bleed you dry. Lowes only cares about Lowes.

Try Menards if they are in your area. Rather than competing with contractors who buy from them they allow contractors to display their information in their stores and help you get jobs.

View more comments (4)
Review
#190365 Review #190365 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Lowes Special Order Broken, Do Not Use

Ordered over $6k of appliances. Microwave was cancelled by Lowes. Had to stand in line at Customer Service to reorder. They marked my order "returned". Never saw it. Then when it came in had to wait a hour to get it at the store. Main delivery of oven, refrig, dishwasher, etc was supposed to be in morning. Delivery crew showed up in evening even after the afternoon delivery period. Had my contractor waiting for installation. But crowning blow was sink. Ordered on 5/12, told it would be delivered earlier, but online date was given as 6/8. It became the pacing item in finishing a kitchen remodel. Stopped by the store twice to stress importance of delivery. Went right up to 6/8, then they call and said it is backordered, would be another 10 days. Later they called and said it will be about a month more! Ordered online from eFaucets and got it in 4 days. I will NEVER use Lowes Special Order again!!! The delays cost me time and money. NOT RELIABLE.
Review
#190225 Review #190225 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Service
Lowes Delivery Service

Lowes in Stony Brook, New York - Lowe's Won't Install Dryer if Side Vented

We spoke to 2 Lowe's higher ups making sure that a dryer we order would be installed and side vented by their installation crew. Called the national line and were assured this was the case. The national person put us in touch with the manager of the local store. Same story - Lowe's will install and side vent the dryer and have it running before they leave. Crew arrives and states flatly we arent allowed to install as a side vent. They will not punch out the side or change the configuration from back to side. This is a total bate and switch statement by Lowe's that has left me stuck with installing the dryer. Consumer reports will hear about this and you should beware if you have to have your dryer side-vented. Lowe's has not lived up to what they advertise or what we inquired about specifically

The problem isn't bait and switch, but the installers themselves. Truth be told, all Lowe's installers are private contractors hired by the company.

When I say hired, it's more accurate to say given jobs. Lowe's doesn't pay them directly.

In any case while the store and home office may have said yes they'd install it, the installer themselves may have had policies against it. Call the customer support line and leave a note about this, and see if they can find a different installer.

Review
#190132 Review #190132 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Service
Lowes Installation
Loss

Lowes in Tampa, Florida - Small minded sub managers drive you nuts

I worked for Lowes for five years as a kitchen and bath designer. I have also worked atthe Home Depot and Builders Square in the same capacity. I am a cabinetmaker by trade with over thirty years experiance. I also was a cabinet installer for Lowes with a vendor number. I worked 60 plus hours a week and the more hours I worked the less I made..Chinese overtime it was called. For the first 40 hours I made $15 an hour..for the next 10 hours I was payed $4.00 an hour and for the last 10 hours of the sixty hours I was payed $2.25 an hour which was on a Saturday..10 hours of getting my brains beat out for about $10 extra in my paycheck. I bailed Lowes butt out of the fire too many times to count and I constantly had to deal with inconsequential sub managers..they are a joke. Wake up Lowes and treat good employees like gold and not slaves and something less than human.. Eventually I just walked out of the store for my own physical and mental health.
Fat Mart cart rider

Ummm sub managers? WTF does that mean.

Department managers or Zone managers?

Clarify tard face. And go cry some more.

ha ha ha you asked to be screwed

View more comments (1)
Review
#190113 Review #190113 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Set up to Fail...Notes from a former Lowes Employee

Years ago, I worked for Lowe's, and learned the hard way that they set employees up to fail. I'm not sure if it's an intentional act, or just some random mistake that brought it on; though sadly I think it's the former. Before getting into things, let me quickly explain how the front desk (as so many call it) works. Typically, you have two registers there, but only one is open. That customer service associate, nine times out of ten, isn't a specialist, nor are they anything important. Nearly every time they're a cashier. In most cases, an untrained cashier. You see, those assignments aren't permanent. Each shift the Head Cashier picks where people are going to go. Jo, you go to Lumber, Frank, you're in Returns, Danny I want you on Register three, oh and Dan, take Customer Service. That's it. No real mystery to it, though at a glance it can get confusing for the average customer. The sad part about it, is that the company actually did an internal study of this. They found that most every complaint filed about customers not getting the service they desired, was tied directly to the fact that the person in Customer Service, typically, wasn't trained above how to use the register. Yet, it was in the company policy to have it such that the person there needed rotated each shift. Meaning you rarely had the same person there two days in a row. I remember, in my time as a Head Cashier, that I actually managed to get written up once for placing an experienced cashier in customer service. It was my intent, knowing that the holiday coming up was a big grilling day and expecting (with a sale on grills no less) a huge flow of customers coming in; to head this off with someone that knew what they were doing. However the Cashier knew too much, to the point that he knew he wasn't supposed to be there two days in a row, and he reported me. My Department manager took him off that register, put on a girl hired the day before, and then left it to me. After getting totally swamped, even with all registers open and I on one of them, the girl went to lunch and never came back. As if putting untrained cashiers there isn't bad enough, the work schedules the employees face is nothing short of barbaric. It is not uncommon to see cashiers working ten and twelve hour days, (sometimes longer) only to get yelled at and threatened with a write up for going ten minutes over time. In my own experience, I remember getting a customer complaint one day that stemmed from the fact I had worked a fifteen hour day the previous day, went home for two hours, and then came back into work. No sleep. Needless to say, by mid day, I was dead on my feet. I don't remember what I said to the customer, I have to admit I don't remember much of that day. (this was prior to the energy drink craze.) I know that at some point I made a comment about a customer's tattoos, and it resulted in me being written up. I don't even remember how I got home that day. I shudder to think how I could have killed someone in an accident, or myself. Yet that was the policies. If you closed one day, you opened the next, and you were NEVER given grace due to having worked late into the night the previous shift. Another problem that customers often run into, especially on the floor, is misunderstanding what the various names mean. Though a person might be called a "specialist" in many cases they are not "special." In fact, specialist was, as it was explained to me, used to differentiate between who was higher in rank in the departments. Typically it didn't mean the person knew any more than the other person. In fact, numerous times, I remember specialists being stumped by questions and having to actually tell the customer the dreaded "I don't know." It happened so often that it became funny, then sad, then funny again. Having said that, I ended my career working in the returns section of the company. I can honestly say, much of the customer problems I dealt with were caused by the customer themselves. Once you got past the misunderstandings and miscommunications that happen with every retail company, most of the problems were caused by the customers. I think, looking back, the biggest problem we had was the whole entitlement issue. People looked to other companies in the area and saw how they didn't charge delivery, but then when they looked to US, they couldn't understand why we did. Yet again the employees were set up to fail, as we were prevented from explaining it. Even though just telling the customer the reason for delivery charges might explain what's going on and why, the company forbade us from explaining. Now that I don't work there, allow me to tackle that as well. Typically speaking Lowes charges a base rate of about fifty dollars to deliver. This rate is determined by the corporate, coded into the computer, and isn't something that the employees...including management, can over ride. In fact, should an employee over ride the rate without corporate's permission (said permission coming in the form of a coupon in most cases), that employee would be fired on the spot. No ifs, ands, or buts. There are no exceptions to this rule, and in the past it has been used as an excuse by corporate to rid themselves of very questionable managers. Savannah Georgia is one store that lost a manager due to this little fact. About six, maybe seven years ago or so, the manager there waived the delivery for a church that was rebuilding. A few weeks later, we came into work and noticed that he wasn't around. At the morning meeting we were told he'd been terminated, and that the reason was he broke company policy by waiving the fee. So, what then is the reason? That fee is nothing more than insurance on the sale. It's making sure that you're not attempting to scam the store (as has happened in the past), wanting something small like a single lamp delivered simply because you're too lazy to carry it home yourself. If you look at the cost of gasoline, paying the driver, and the insurance for the truck; then you turn around and look at the average cost of items in the store, it tends to make sense. Delivery on the larger items (as I've said) ensures that you do wish to finalize the sale and aren't going to turn right around and return it, while at the same time it ensures that you don't scam the store by replacing the item with something of lesser value and returning that. Finally, it allows the store to control the condition of the item. If they deliver something and it turns up damaged later on, then they know that the customer damaged it. If when they unbox it, however, and find that it's damaged; then they know the store did it and must replace it. I could continue on and on, yet I'm not sure I should bother. It is in the wee hours of the morning, and I doubt those who are set in their ways will read this. Suffice it to say, blame corporate, not the average employee. The company sets them up to fail, and then punishes them when they do. Arguing with a cashier doesn't get you anywhere. Take it to the store manager, and if he won't help, call the care line. Remember, if you give the name of the cashier or specialist that helped you, you might get that person fired. Unless you really want to cost someone their job, then your better bet is to target their manager. It is a little known secret, that short of breaking company policy, Lowes will not fire their managers. The one story I've noted here, as I said, was due to breach of company policy. Otherwise, he'd still be there.

Interesting. It sounds as if some of you have had a manager that is a *** and others are managers that aren't.

As a customer, I saw one of the jerks today. His employee incentive program included telling the employee to get the tools rearranged and stocked by the COB today or he would be written up.

I spoke with the employee after the manager walked away, employees that have worked for Lowes the longest fear being written up the most. Sounds like a nice guy huh?

Kabs first of all, I have never heard of any store with these rules that you speak of, none of which are corporate policy. Having dealt with employees like you and reading the progression that you went through I know you are full of it.

First of all no one gets written up for the little things you are bringing up (unless you are worthless and they wanted you out). Seeing as you ended your career in returns is the final indicator. That is where they put people to push them out the door. Chances are you were a negative know-it-all who wouldn't cooperate.

It takes an act of congress to get fired from Lowe's so if you are worthless (like in your case) they can force you out. Secondly where is this store and who are these heartless managers? You are telling me that you had to work 15 hours to close (at the latest 11 PM in the summer) as an hourly and then come back and open (at 5:30 AM)? I am pretty sure that it is 6 hours, must have a 2 hour commute huh?

Did you think to point this out to a manager? You have a mouth, open it. Thirdly there is no policy saying we can not explain the delivery process. It is a flat fee and they can pay it or not.

It cost the same to deliver a load of lumber as it does for your lamp. Managers can also override deliveries if there is a good reason to (without fearing for there jobs). There is NO WAY ON THIS PLANET that the said manager was fired on the grounds of giving a delivery to a church. If this person even exists they would of gotten fired for repeat offenses of a greater nature, or overriding large sums of money for no reason.

Finally if another company has free delivery Lowe's will match it, just like everything else. You have set yourself up for failure, not Lowe’s. You need to look in the mirror and stop making excuses why you failed at one of the easiest jobs in existence. The requirements for being a cashier is breathing and partial motor function.

People like you are the reason that the US is failing, its always some one's fault just not yours. Suck it up and stop being a waste of human flesh!

#208558

Stocking issue: again- read the question first. They were not referring to brand of product on the shelf but lackthereof.

That's why they have an Inventory Replinishment Program and managers can and do control what they have on hand. If they are good department managers, they will do the weekly counts, notice when product is low and few on hand, they can request more product to be sent to the store. There is also an automatic replenishment system, if the dept mgrs are not doing counts and stolen/dmgd/defective product is not billed out then the on hand qty is incorrect and the system does not know it needs to order more. For example: Product "A" has 7 on hand in the system, 2 were broken (not billed out) and 1 was "stolen" (not billed out)and a customer just purchased 1.

The system still shows that there are 6 onhand, but in reality there is only 3 on the shelf. Most items don't auto-replenish unless it reaches or falls below qty of 5.

The next day the remaining three are sold leaving ZERO on hand, but the system still shows 3, the autoreplenish program will order more but now the store must wait for Product "A" to be replenished because someone didn't follow through with their job. So in short- managers do have control over qty onhand, however you are correct that the managers cannot control brands sold by the company.

#208554

You're an ***. It's not a bad company to work for and frankly I think that you are uneducated on the policies or maybe you didn't bother to read them when they were presented to you.

As far as untrained cashiers thats the responsibility of the HC and dept mgr.

I was a HC and frankly, if your cashiers don't know how to do their job or making stride towards it, you failed as a leader. And by the way, there is no policy that states that an associate isn't supposed to work a certain station more than a day in a row. If that were the case why would they break up the front end schedule for the commercial area, service desk, returns, outside and the front registers?

Before you spread your uninformed, biased opinion- make sure you have your information correct. Ignorance is no excuse.

Fat Mart cart rider

Shut up pissed customer. You are *** and are probably just what my name says.

Managers sadly don't have any control over what they do or do not stock. When I worked for the company we had the same problem, with customers asking for one specific thing; only to find out that we either didn't carry it, or the store that did was several miles away.

I once asked why this was, and the only answer I got was something related to demographics. All I can tell you is that the home office decides what to ship to which store, exactly what they use to make that decision, however, isn't something that's easily understood.

The best answer to your question, however, would be to instruct you to not write here to a FORMER employee of the company, but instead to actually write the home office and ask them. They're likely to give you a better answer than I could ever hope to.

I would like to know why you don't have any stock in your stores like in Spokane Valley, Wa. and since I hate to drive 5 miles to the east or the north I have been going across to the Home Depot store which seems to have what I need!

So let me think about this, you are going to close this store or the Manager just does not want any inventory at the store! Now, do you want my money or do I keep going over to Home Depot which is just a block and half away from your store.

Please don't give ME a standard letter of some phony reason of why the store doesn't have anything in stock. Such as in lumber and in Hardware Dept's.

View more comments (6)
Review
#190036 Review #190036 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Lowes in Erie, Pennsylvania - Waited 20 min. for assistance, numerous workers, they were all BSing.

Wanted to make numerous purchases at Lowe's Erie Pa. upper Peach Street at 7/16/10. 11am totaling around three thousand dollars,bathroom vanity, granite top, faucet, flooring, toilet, and odds and ends, requested assistance from several staff only to be told "that's not my area" pressed the help button four times over a 20 min span, it kept on flashing, but no help arrived.Staff seemed to be too busy socializing with each other, service desk seemed not to care. My wife and I went to Home Depot where we received fast and knowledgeable assistance and made our purchase.
LesCdeal

Helpful Hint:

Actually, the button canceling you hear at the end of the day is NOT to lower the average time. While it is true that each department in the store gets graded on average time to answer buttons (company goal is 60 seconds; my store's goal is 45 seconds), the number of button hits is also tallied up.

The more button hits you have in your department, the more it looks like you're nowhere to be found. So, if employees were hitting their own buttons, they may lower their average time by a second or two, but they would be raising their button hits as well.

This is not something they would do. The buttons are actually tested every night in order to make sure they are all operable, as batteries do wear out and sometimes the programming can be lost.

Actually, Helpful Hint, the button canceling at the end of the day is NOT to lower the average time. True, that the store gets graded on time (company goal is 60 seconds -- my store's goal is 45 seconds), but the store/department ALSO gets graded on the amount button hits.

The more hits, the more it looks like you're not in your department ready to help.

The end of day button pressing is merely to test each button to make sure they all work. Batteries wear out, ya know.

Les from Lowe's

I also had the experience of getting no help, so went to Home Depot and bought my washer and dryer. Also we are now waiting for Lowes to deliver a micro, oven, and dishwhr.

(I should have given HD a chan ce to match theri price) Already 2 weeks past promised date and still getting no specific date. Buy from Home Depot - their delivery was top notch.

hey just want lowes take my name off the return policy.so i can return items.I have shopping lowes for 15 year love the store on battleground greenboro,N.C.the told me to get touch with lowes. need your help,thank you

If you want service at Lowes, keep pushing the customer service button. It is on a timer and the employees have so many seconds to answer them.

The total time is tallied and averaged at the end of the day. If they go over the alloted time, they get reamed out. If you are in the store at closing time, you will hear the "help needed..." calls everywhere.

They push the buttons and immediately cancel the call, thus cutting down average response time. Lowes employees think of these buttons as the "button of death".

This will help next time you visit Lowes.

Fat Mart cart rider

Peoplenlikr you can never be helped. You ask for help yet when the person helping you gives you an answer suddenly you know more than the associate.

Or you get mad cause you see ALL those associates that won't help you. Maybe hey have NO clue how to work plumbing. MAYBE the plumbing associate went to lunch.

Would you rather have help from someone with experience or just some lowly cashier that has NO fing clue. Grow a brain and think about *** before posting.

you got helped fast at depot cause there tring to keep from going bankrupt

I have the same experience at Harrisonburg, Va store . 300? emplotees and only 3 working...

View more comments (7)

What It's Like To Work At Lowes

I worked at Lowes #1777. The management there is awful. They don't care about their employees well being or that we have families. All Jim Bambule and Tom E. Thompson EVER cared about was generating more sales and keeping as much money in that store as possible. Employees hours were purposely cut back just so that store would be thousands under budget (no doubt to make themselves shine). Nevermind in this economy people need all the work they can get. Lord forbid if you're sick, have a sick spouse, or a funeral of a relative. If you miss any work you'll sure as heck pay dearly when you return because you weren't there making them more money. When I started there, I had several years of experience in retail...even managed a store myself before. I found out that they started my pay out $2-$3.00 less than they were starting out kids right out of highschool. I had to pick up all the slack for so many others that didn't want to do their jobs and if any complaints were made, either nothing would be done at all or whoever complained would get in trouble for complaining. I always tried to be nice and respectful to customers, but it got to be very hard when the company you work for basically wants to use you for slave labor. I quit Lowes because my family comes first. I and my husband (not to mention the rest of my family) got tired of the ***. Money is needed but it's not everything. I seriously hope Jim and Tom at store #1777 get fired so maybe they could learn that themselves.

Lowes of Chantilly, VA is one of the worst places to work as MALE Cashier. Its good if you are a FEMALE cashier, as all you have to do is cashier job.

But, if you are a male cashier, most of the time, you will be asked to PUSH CARTS, come rain or shine or snow. You will be asked to do the LOADER's job, regardless if you are able to lift or not, regardless if you have back problems or not. WAYNE (EUGENE) the fat *** is the poster boy for "how not to manage", "how not to be a leader" OR the worst manager. Wayne who is the customer service supervisor, has NO supervisor skills whatsoever.

No listening skills. YOUNG ATTRACTIVE Women cashiers get to do whatever they want, flex schedules, off whenever, not work in garden during cold winter or hot summer days, not working in Returns, Not working in Lumber. At Lowes of Chantilly, the Human Resource manager is FAT *** JOHN, who does not listen to employee complains or issues, regardless if they are genuine or not. He just ignores employees and acts as if he did a favor hiring anyone.

This store is very discriminatory towards non-white employees. They are tricky, in that, they hire non-white employees, to show they are not discriminatory, but once hired the treatment is very very discriminatory. The scheduling is not fair. Some employees get favorable schedules since they are friends with management, while others always have to work late shifts and rarely get weekend days off.

Chris the FAT store manager, never listens to anyone. He always says, talk and resolve with you immediate supervisor, even, when the problem itself is the immediate supervisor. Their open door policy is just in name. It is a joke.

If you complain or point out the obvious, you are reprimanded. Employees are basically treated as PAID SLAVES. SARAH, THE FAT *** cashier rarely is scheduled on weekends. In winter she always goes to LUMBER and jokes around and has her friends bring her dinner since lumber is not busy in winter evenings.

Look at the camera on January 7, 2011, she came in at 6 pm her schedule and then promptly at 6:30 pm she went go get dinner from wendys and took 45 minutes to eat from 7 to 7:45 pm. She gets favorable treatment always. In summers she is always sent to garden in evenings as its not that busy and the weather is nice. CARMEN the head cashier is a poster child for a PURE ***.

She does not know her job. She always is buttering up her supervisors and giving favorable treatment to her friend cashiers such as SARAH the fat ***.

I KNOW I can manage better, with more effectiveness and efficiency. Only need to get rid of problem management employees or get them the proper training.

i happen to b a store managers son i will not say whom im20 years old i have not gotten too see my dad much growing up they work long hours 12 plus hours a day they have alot of responsibility and u were simply held acountable being a store managers son i was expected more than anyone get over yourself you couldnt take the call of duty and your a QUITER grow up seriously i speak from a store managers sons standpoint

@lowesemployee

Maybe you would have learned how to spell if he was home.

Complaint does not merit response.

I agree with the comment from 7/16/10. The person that wrote this statement could get sued.

Let's see. How easy would it be to figure out who this is? 1. Comment was made about husband.

So this is a female who made the statement. Second comment was High school kids. Shopping lowe's they mostly have high school/collage kids in the garden center and the building center of the stores. Of all the stores I shop I haven't seen many women working the building center side.

So I would say this was a female that worked in the garden center. Also they mention sick twice and "miss" work. Did this person miss work often? Is the person upset because a company is trying to hold their employees accountable?

It sounds like this is a disengaged person.If this person was as good as they say, did everyone else's jobs, picked up everyone eles's slack why would any company let this type of person leave? I know some people that work in a wide range of retail stores. Some are managers. They miss their families too.

Managers put in a lot of hours and miss alot of their kids growing up because of the hours. Some people can work in retail most can not. Just because you couldn't and you have know idea how to. You shouldn't write comments on something you don't know about.

Again the comments from 7/16/10 is right about payroll. Oh yeah 100% right about being sued.

What are you doing? Going the way of Home Depot and getting rid of your Best workers to get a better bottom line if so, you will have less customers and moral in your stores will go down with the customers! Think about it Pissed Employees and Pissed Customers = Lost Profits for you and the Empoyees.

I work at Lowes also, unfortunately. If they had to answer to somebody, i.e.

Unions, it would be different. Those "older" people get stepped on, the "younger" crowd gets their *** kissed. Management does not know anything about anything. All they want is to surrounded by brown nosers and make themselves look pretty.

Lowes has a philosophy: never hire anybody smarter than yourself. If the "big cheese" is not to bright, then the underlings are even dumber.

Stupidity breeds stupidity. BOTTOM LINE!

I'm sure you never ran a multi-million dollar box because if you have, you would understand that cutting hours and putting money back on the bottom line is the name of the game. The most controllable expense is payroll.

What *** did you have to deal with????? Did you forget that it's retail and the entire retail environment is ***???

Just a tip, be carful about mentioning someone's name online. It may open you up too a lawsuit :cry

View more comments (7)