Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

Set up to Fail...Notes from a former Lowes Employee

Years ago, I worked for Lowe's, and learned the hard way that they set employees up to fail. I'm not sure if it's an intentional act, or just some random mistake that brought it on; though sadly I think it's the former. Before getting into things, let me quickly explain how the front desk (as so many call it) works. Typically, you have two registers there, but only one is open. That customer service associate, nine times out of ten, isn't a specialist, nor are they anything important. Nearly every time they're a cashier. In most cases, an untrained cashier. You see, those assignments aren't permanent. Each shift the Head Cashier picks where people are going to go. Jo, you go to Lumber, Frank, you're in Returns, Danny I want you on Register three, oh and Dan, take Customer Service. That's it. No real mystery to it, though at a glance it can get confusing for the average customer. The sad part about it, is that the company actually did an internal study of this. They found that most every complaint filed about customers not getting the service they desired, was tied directly to the fact that the person in Customer Service, typically, wasn't trained above how to use the register. Yet, it was in the company policy to have it such that the person there needed rotated each shift. Meaning you rarely had the same person there two days in a row. I remember, in my time as a Head Cashier, that I actually managed to get written up once for placing an experienced cashier in customer service. It was my intent, knowing that the holiday coming up was a big grilling day and expecting (with a sale on grills no less) a huge flow of customers coming in; to head this off with someone that knew what they were doing. However the Cashier knew too much, to the point that he knew he wasn't supposed to be there two days in a row, and he reported me. My Department manager took him off that register, put on a girl hired the day before, and then left it to me. After getting totally swamped, even with all registers open and I on one of them, the girl went to lunch and never came back. As if putting untrained cashiers there isn't bad enough, the work schedules the employees face is nothing short of barbaric. It is not uncommon to see cashiers working ten and twelve hour days, (sometimes longer) only to get yelled at and threatened with a write up for going ten minutes over time. In my own experience, I remember getting a customer complaint one day that stemmed from the fact I had worked a fifteen hour day the previous day, went home for two hours, and then came back into work. No sleep. Needless to say, by mid day, I was dead on my feet. I don't remember what I said to the customer, I have to admit I don't remember much of that day. (this was prior to the energy drink craze.) I know that at some point I made a comment about a customer's tattoos, and it resulted in me being written up. I don't even remember how I got home that day. I shudder to think how I could have killed someone in an accident, or myself. Yet that was the policies. If you closed one day, you opened the next, and you were NEVER given grace due to having worked late into the night the previous shift. Another problem that customers often run into, especially on the floor, is misunderstanding what the various names mean. Though a person might be called a "specialist" in many cases they are not "special." In fact, specialist was, as it was explained to me, used to differentiate between who was higher in rank in the departments. Typically it didn't mean the person knew any more than the other person. In fact, numerous times, I remember specialists being stumped by questions and having to actually tell the customer the dreaded "I don't know." It happened so often that it became funny, then sad, then funny again. Having said that, I ended my career working in the returns section of the company. I can honestly say, much of the customer problems I dealt with were caused by the customer themselves. Once you got past the misunderstandings and miscommunications that happen with every retail company, most of the problems were caused by the customers. I think, looking back, the biggest problem we had was the whole entitlement issue. People looked to other companies in the area and saw how they didn't charge delivery, but then when they looked to US, they couldn't understand why we did. Yet again the employees were set up to fail, as we were prevented from explaining it. Even though just telling the customer the reason for delivery charges might explain what's going on and why, the company forbade us from explaining. Now that I don't work there, allow me to tackle that as well. Typically speaking Lowes charges a base rate of about fifty dollars to deliver. This rate is determined by the corporate, coded into the computer, and isn't something that the employees...including management, can over ride. In fact, should an employee over ride the rate without corporate's permission (said permission coming in the form of a coupon in most cases), that employee would be fired on the spot. No ifs, ands, or buts. There are no exceptions to this rule, and in the past it has been used as an excuse by corporate to rid themselves of very questionable managers. Savannah Georgia is one store that lost a manager due to this little fact. About six, maybe seven years ago or so, the manager there waived the delivery for a church that was rebuilding. A few weeks later, we came into work and noticed that he wasn't around. At the morning meeting we were told he'd been terminated, and that the reason was he broke company policy by waiving the fee. So, what then is the reason? That fee is nothing more than insurance on the sale. It's making sure that you're not attempting to scam the store (as has happened in the past), wanting something small like a single lamp delivered simply because you're too lazy to carry it home yourself. If you look at the cost of gasoline, paying the driver, and the insurance for the truck; then you turn around and look at the average cost of items in the store, it tends to make sense. Delivery on the larger items (as I've said) ensures that you do wish to finalize the sale and aren't going to turn right around and return it, while at the same time it ensures that you don't scam the store by replacing the item with something of lesser value and returning that. Finally, it allows the store to control the condition of the item. If they deliver something and it turns up damaged later on, then they know that the customer damaged it. If when they unbox it, however, and find that it's damaged; then they know the store did it and must replace it. I could continue on and on, yet I'm not sure I should bother. It is in the wee hours of the morning, and I doubt those who are set in their ways will read this. Suffice it to say, blame corporate, not the average employee. The company sets them up to fail, and then punishes them when they do. Arguing with a cashier doesn't get you anywhere. Take it to the store manager, and if he won't help, call the care line. Remember, if you give the name of the cashier or specialist that helped you, you might get that person fired. Unless you really want to cost someone their job, then your better bet is to target their manager. It is a little known secret, that short of breaking company policy, Lowes will not fire their managers. The one story I've noted here, as I said, was due to breach of company policy. Otherwise, he'd still be there.

Interesting. It sounds as if some of you have had a manager that is a *** and others are managers that aren't.

As a customer, I saw one of the jerks today. His employee incentive program included telling the employee to get the tools rearranged and stocked by the COB today or he would be written up.

I spoke with the employee after the manager walked away, employees that have worked for Lowes the longest fear being written up the most. Sounds like a nice guy huh?

Kabs first of all, I have never heard of any store with these rules that you speak of, none of which are corporate policy. Having dealt with employees like you and reading the progression that you went through I know you are full of it.

First of all no one gets written up for the little things you are bringing up (unless you are worthless and they wanted you out). Seeing as you ended your career in returns is the final indicator. That is where they put people to push them out the door. Chances are you were a negative know-it-all who wouldn't cooperate.

It takes an act of congress to get fired from Lowe's so if you are worthless (like in your case) they can force you out. Secondly where is this store and who are these heartless managers? You are telling me that you had to work 15 hours to close (at the latest 11 PM in the summer) as an hourly and then come back and open (at 5:30 AM)? I am pretty sure that it is 6 hours, must have a 2 hour commute huh?

Did you think to point this out to a manager? You have a mouth, open it. Thirdly there is no policy saying we can not explain the delivery process. It is a flat fee and they can pay it or not.

It cost the same to deliver a load of lumber as it does for your lamp. Managers can also override deliveries if there is a good reason to (without fearing for there jobs). There is NO WAY ON THIS PLANET that the said manager was fired on the grounds of giving a delivery to a church. If this person even exists they would of gotten fired for repeat offenses of a greater nature, or overriding large sums of money for no reason.

Finally if another company has free delivery Lowe's will match it, just like everything else. You have set yourself up for failure, not Lowe’s. You need to look in the mirror and stop making excuses why you failed at one of the easiest jobs in existence. The requirements for being a cashier is breathing and partial motor function.

People like you are the reason that the US is failing, its always some one's fault just not yours. Suck it up and stop being a waste of human flesh!

#208558

Stocking issue: again- read the question first. They were not referring to brand of product on the shelf but lackthereof.

That's why they have an Inventory Replinishment Program and managers can and do control what they have on hand. If they are good department managers, they will do the weekly counts, notice when product is low and few on hand, they can request more product to be sent to the store. There is also an automatic replenishment system, if the dept mgrs are not doing counts and stolen/dmgd/defective product is not billed out then the on hand qty is incorrect and the system does not know it needs to order more. For example: Product "A" has 7 on hand in the system, 2 were broken (not billed out) and 1 was "stolen" (not billed out)and a customer just purchased 1.

The system still shows that there are 6 onhand, but in reality there is only 3 on the shelf. Most items don't auto-replenish unless it reaches or falls below qty of 5.

The next day the remaining three are sold leaving ZERO on hand, but the system still shows 3, the autoreplenish program will order more but now the store must wait for Product "A" to be replenished because someone didn't follow through with their job. So in short- managers do have control over qty onhand, however you are correct that the managers cannot control brands sold by the company.

#208554

You're an ***. It's not a bad company to work for and frankly I think that you are uneducated on the policies or maybe you didn't bother to read them when they were presented to you.

As far as untrained cashiers thats the responsibility of the HC and dept mgr.

I was a HC and frankly, if your cashiers don't know how to do their job or making stride towards it, you failed as a leader. And by the way, there is no policy that states that an associate isn't supposed to work a certain station more than a day in a row. If that were the case why would they break up the front end schedule for the commercial area, service desk, returns, outside and the front registers?

Before you spread your uninformed, biased opinion- make sure you have your information correct. Ignorance is no excuse.

Peter d

Shut up pissed customer. You are *** and are probably just what my name says.

Managers sadly don't have any control over what they do or do not stock. When I worked for the company we had the same problem, with customers asking for one specific thing; only to find out that we either didn't carry it, or the store that did was several miles away.

I once asked why this was, and the only answer I got was something related to demographics. All I can tell you is that the home office decides what to ship to which store, exactly what they use to make that decision, however, isn't something that's easily understood.

The best answer to your question, however, would be to instruct you to not write here to a FORMER employee of the company, but instead to actually write the home office and ask them. They're likely to give you a better answer than I could ever hope to.

I would like to know why you don't have any stock in your stores like in Spokane Valley, Wa. and since I hate to drive 5 miles to the east or the north I have been going across to the Home Depot store which seems to have what I need!

So let me think about this, you are going to close this store or the Manager just does not want any inventory at the store! Now, do you want my money or do I keep going over to Home Depot which is just a block and half away from your store.

Please don't give ME a standard letter of some phony reason of why the store doesn't have anything in stock. Such as in lumber and in Hardware Dept's.

View more comments (6)
Review
#190036 Review #190036 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Lowes review in Erie, Pennsylvania: Waited 20 min. for assistance, numerous workers, they were all BSing.

Wanted to make numerous purchases at Lowe's Erie Pa. upper Peach Street at 7/16/10. 11am totaling around three thousand dollars,bathroom vanity, granite top, faucet, flooring, toilet, and odds and ends, requested assistance from several staff only to be told "that's not my area" pressed the help button four times over a 20 min span, it kept on flashing, but no help arrived.Staff seemed to be too busy socializing with each other, service desk seemed not to care. My wife and I went to Home Depot where we received fast and knowledgeable assistance and made our purchase.
Les

Helpful Hint:

Actually, the button canceling you hear at the end of the day is NOT to lower the average time. While it is true that each department in the store gets graded on average time to answer buttons (company goal is 60 seconds; my store's goal is 45 seconds), the number of button hits is also tallied up.

The more button hits you have in your department, the more it looks like you're nowhere to be found. So, if employees were hitting their own buttons, they may lower their average time by a second or two, but they would be raising their button hits as well.

This is not something they would do. The buttons are actually tested every night in order to make sure they are all operable, as batteries do wear out and sometimes the programming can be lost.

Actually, Helpful Hint, the button canceling at the end of the day is NOT to lower the average time. True, that the store gets graded on time (company goal is 60 seconds -- my store's goal is 45 seconds), but the store/department ALSO gets graded on the amount button hits.

The more hits, the more it looks like you're not in your department ready to help.

The end of day button pressing is merely to test each button to make sure they all work. Batteries wear out, ya know.

Les from Lowe's

I also had the experience of getting no help, so went to Home Depot and bought my washer and dryer. Also we are now waiting for Lowes to deliver a micro, oven, and dishwhr.

(I should have given HD a chan ce to match theri price) Already 2 weeks past promised date and still getting no specific date. Buy from Home Depot - their delivery was top notch.

hey just want lowes take my name off the return policy.so i can return items.I have shopping lowes for 15 year love the store on battleground greenboro,N.C.the told me to get touch with lowes. need your help,thank you

If you want service at Lowes, keep pushing the customer service button. It is on a timer and the employees have so many seconds to answer them.

The total time is tallied and averaged at the end of the day. If they go over the alloted time, they get reamed out. If you are in the store at closing time, you will hear the "help needed..." calls everywhere.

They push the buttons and immediately cancel the call, thus cutting down average response time. Lowes employees think of these buttons as the "button of death".

This will help next time you visit Lowes.

Peter d

Peoplenlikr you can never be helped. You ask for help yet when the person helping you gives you an answer suddenly you know more than the associate.

Or you get mad cause you see ALL those associates that won't help you. Maybe hey have NO clue how to work plumbing. MAYBE the plumbing associate went to lunch.

Would you rather have help from someone with experience or just some lowly cashier that has NO fing clue. Grow a brain and think about *** before posting.

you got helped fast at depot cause there tring to keep from going bankrupt

I have the same experience at Harrisonburg, Va store . 300? emplotees and only 3 working...

What It's Like To Work At Lowes

I worked at Lowes #1777. The management there is awful. They don't care about their employees well being or that we have families. All Jim Bambule and Tom E. Thompson EVER cared about was generating more sales and keeping as much money in that store as possible. Employees hours were purposely cut back just so that store would be thousands under budget (no doubt to make themselves shine). Nevermind in this economy people need all the work they can get. Lord forbid if you're sick, have a sick spouse, or a funeral of a relative. If you miss any work you'll sure as heck pay dearly when you return because you weren't there making them more money. When I started there, I had several years of experience in retail...even managed a store myself before. I found out that they started my pay out $2-$3.00 less than they were starting out kids right out of highschool. I had to pick up all the slack for so many others that didn't want to do their jobs and if any complaints were made, either nothing would be done at all or whoever complained would get in trouble for complaining. I always tried to be nice and respectful to customers, but it got to be very hard when the company you work for basically wants to use you for slave labor. I quit Lowes because my family comes first. I and my husband (not to mention the rest of my family) got tired of the ***. Money is needed but it's not everything. I seriously hope Jim and Tom at store #1777 get fired so maybe they could learn that themselves.

Lowes of Chantilly, VA is one of the worst places to work as MALE Cashier. Its good if you are a FEMALE cashier, as all you have to do is cashier job.

But, if you are a male cashier, most of the time, you will be asked to PUSH CARTS, come rain or shine or snow. You will be asked to do the LOADER's job, regardless if you are able to lift or not, regardless if you have back problems or not. WAYNE (EUGENE) the fat *** is the poster boy for "how not to manage", "how not to be a leader" OR the worst manager. Wayne who is the customer service supervisor, has NO supervisor skills whatsoever.

No listening skills. YOUNG ATTRACTIVE Women cashiers get to do whatever they want, flex schedules, off whenever, not work in garden during cold winter or hot summer days, not working in Returns, Not working in Lumber. At Lowes of Chantilly, the Human Resource manager is FAT *** JOHN, who does not listen to employee complains or issues, regardless if they are genuine or not. He just ignores employees and acts as if he did a favor hiring anyone.

This store is very discriminatory towards non-white employees. They are tricky, in that, they hire non-white employees, to show they are not discriminatory, but once hired the treatment is very very discriminatory. The scheduling is not fair. Some employees get favorable schedules since they are friends with management, while others always have to work late shifts and rarely get weekend days off.

Chris the FAT store manager, never listens to anyone. He always says, talk and resolve with you immediate supervisor, even, when the problem itself is the immediate supervisor. Their open door policy is just in name. It is a joke.

If you complain or point out the obvious, you are reprimanded. Employees are basically treated as PAID SLAVES. SARAH, THE FAT *** cashier rarely is scheduled on weekends. In winter she always goes to LUMBER and jokes around and has her friends bring her dinner since lumber is not busy in winter evenings.

Look at the camera on January 7, 2011, she came in at 6 pm her schedule and then promptly at 6:30 pm she went go get dinner from wendys and took 45 minutes to eat from 7 to 7:45 pm. She gets favorable treatment always. In summers she is always sent to garden in evenings as its not that busy and the weather is nice. CARMEN the head cashier is a poster child for a PURE ***.

She does not know her job. She always is buttering up her supervisors and giving favorable treatment to her friend cashiers such as SARAH the fat ***.

I KNOW I can manage better, with more effectiveness and efficiency. Only need to get rid of problem management employees or get them the proper training.

i happen to b a store managers son i will not say whom im20 years old i have not gotten too see my dad much growing up they work long hours 12 plus hours a day they have alot of responsibility and u were simply held acountable being a store managers son i was expected more than anyone get over yourself you couldnt take the call of duty and your a QUITER grow up seriously i speak from a store managers sons standpoint

@lowesemployee

Maybe you would have learned how to spell if he was home.

Complaint does not merit response.

I agree with the comment from 7/16/10. The person that wrote this statement could get sued.

Let's see. How easy would it be to figure out who this is? 1. Comment was made about husband.

So this is a female who made the statement. Second comment was High school kids. Shopping lowe's they mostly have high school/collage kids in the garden center and the building center of the stores. Of all the stores I shop I haven't seen many women working the building center side.

So I would say this was a female that worked in the garden center. Also they mention sick twice and "miss" work. Did this person miss work often? Is the person upset because a company is trying to hold their employees accountable?

It sounds like this is a disengaged person.If this person was as good as they say, did everyone else's jobs, picked up everyone eles's slack why would any company let this type of person leave? I know some people that work in a wide range of retail stores. Some are managers. They miss their families too.

Managers put in a lot of hours and miss alot of their kids growing up because of the hours. Some people can work in retail most can not. Just because you couldn't and you have know idea how to. You shouldn't write comments on something you don't know about.

Again the comments from 7/16/10 is right about payroll. Oh yeah 100% right about being sued.

What are you doing? Going the way of Home Depot and getting rid of your Best workers to get a better bottom line if so, you will have less customers and moral in your stores will go down with the customers! Think about it Pissed Employees and Pissed Customers = Lost Profits for you and the Empoyees.

I work at Lowes also, unfortunately. If they had to answer to somebody, i.e.

Unions, it would be different. Those "older" people get stepped on, the "younger" crowd gets their *** kissed. Management does not know anything about anything. All they want is to surrounded by brown nosers and make themselves look pretty.

Lowes has a philosophy: never hire anybody smarter than yourself. If the "big cheese" is not to bright, then the underlings are even dumber.

Stupidity breeds stupidity. BOTTOM LINE!

I'm sure you never ran a multi-million dollar box because if you have, you would understand that cutting hours and putting money back on the bottom line is the name of the game. The most controllable expense is payroll.

What *** did you have to deal with????? Did you forget that it's retail and the entire retail environment is ***???

Just a tip, be carful about mentioning someone's name online. It may open you up too a lawsuit :cry

Lowes in Troy AL. has lazy non-caring employ

Lowes in Troy Alabama has horrible, non-caring employees. I called about hardibacker board pricing because I am re-doing the flooring in my office. I spoke with Chuck Drudy. He was rude and discurtious and made the comment "I'm going to have to go all the way to the back of the store to give you an exact price." I let it go and gave him my name and office number to call me back. When he called back he spoke with another office employee and as soon as she answered the phone he blurted out the pricing. She had no idea what he was talking about and he was very rude when he explained. I called back to see if I could order the material and pay for it check by phone. The man I spoke with (i dont know his name) said "yes we accept check by phone." I thanked him, hung up and got out my checks. When I called back, they transferred me back to flooring. It was Chuck Drudy who answered. I told him I wanted to order 48 sheets of .5" hardiboard, he asked how I wanted to pay and I told him check by phone. He informed me that they dont take check by phone. I told him that I had called earlier and a man told me they did take check by phone. He yelled at me and called me a liar and said that He was the man I spoke with and that all I asked him was about pricing. I informed him that I had called two previous times and that NO HE WASNT THE MAN I SPOKE WITH THE SECOND TIME. I also told him that I didnt appreciate him calling me a liar. He hung up and transferred me to someone else. That person answered and said "we dont take check by phone" and hung up in my face. Troy Al Lowes needs to get a grip. I WILL NOT be purchasing anything else from them especially my hardiboard. They are inconsiderate *** who need to learn the meaning of "Customer Service" GET A CLUE, Its your JOB!! Troy Lowes just lost a veryyyyy valuble customer.

You are a whiney *** head. Some people just want to *** and complain, you are one of those people.

WHY did you expect an order to be paid with by check over the phone? Do you know what a pain in the *** that is???

Do you have no compassion at all for the employees?

Come INTO the store next time instead of acting like you are ordering from a catalog. Grow up and quit whining.

There's a short fellow there whose name is Gary. He is the best at the store.

#193076

I purchased a chest freezer from Lowes.com on September 8th and my receipt said someone would call within 24 hrs to schedule delivery. No one called and I decided to call on September 18th because the receipt said this was my expected delivery date.

I called customer service and was told that the unit would be delivered on the 21st and someone would call prior to delivery. AGAIN no one bother to call instead they delivered the unit my cousin signed for it. Two hours later I get home and the chest had dents in the lid and about 3 or 4 more all over the refrigerator. I again called customer service and was transferred to the store manager who kindly informed me that there was no record of any dents.

I asked him if I came home from work and put the dents in the unit. I wanted this unit for a party and the way I was treated was just really bad. Leroy, the Manager was so rude and after arguing with him for a few I decided that it would be best to have them pick the unit up and refund my money. I made this decision after he yelled that he can order me a replacement but he had no idea when it would be ready maybe 2 or 3 weeks because this was a special order item.

I told him that arguing was not my style and I am not going to argue about dents because it is present. The sad part about this story is that had they been a little bit interested I might have kept the unit for a small discount.

I was only buying the unit to store meat for a party I am having. Customer Service doesn't exist anymore it seems and this will be my first and last buy at Lowes.

#192695

1-800-44-LOWES

enough said...it does get results !!!!!

#192365

Some of the employees in the Troy store are kind, considerate, and helpful. Others are not trained adequately to assist customers.

(fault of management) I must admit, people generally respond to you the way you respond to them.

We shop often at Lowe's in Troy and will continue to do so. The majority of the employees are extremely kind.

I agree that SOME of lowe's 2212 employees are terrible and lazy, I work there and deal with first hand, and have had problems with that very person. There are however some very hard working people at that store who will go out of their way to help the customer, I am proud to be one of those. You can not judge the whole store off of one bad person or experience.

Sounds to me like you are rude and lazy. First of all it is spelled employee not employ.

Guess you are too lazy to type in two extra letters. Then you were too lazy to wait until he got back from the back to tell you the price. He told you that he had to go all the way back so you would know that it would take some time. You were too lazy to wait.

Probably wanted to play with your GIJoes. If you are slow than people generally get impatient. Not nice attitude from them, but obviously he was rude because you are slow at understanding things. Obviously you misunderstood.

You were rude to him, you deserved to he hung up on. Next time take your meds before dealing with people. What gives you a right to treat otheer's badly. Glad they hung up on your face.

Just because it is their job you have no right treating people like ***.

I am sure with your attitude they don't want your service anyways. I just feel sorry for the other companies that have to deal with you.

Lowes review in Wilmington, North Carolina: false price matching policy

Lowes advertises price matching plus 10%. This is not true. After using this policy on a few visits before. Now they say they don't price match on sale Items. They did call the competitors store to verify the lower price and it was lower, but said they did not match sale prices. I also purchaseed the same item in April,May and again in June from the competitors store with the lower price. This is in direct conflict with their own written policy on their web site. So goes "Truth in Advertising". Lowes just another big box store. And I have been a regular customer since 1968.. But no more

I too just got ripped off by Lowe's 10% "beat any competitor" lie. They also refused to price match Home Depot on a $1400 snow blower for my tractor.

Nowhere in their advertising they display does it say ANYTHING about special orders. More fine print BS. I'm so done with Lowe's.

Their lumber always sucks too.

#1192959

They have STILL not fixed their huge signs everywhere that say they will beat the conpetitors advertised price by an extra 10% off!! I argued enough and got the manager to call corporate who told him to "go ahead and do it but we really aren't supposed to." So ***!

They did not honor price match for me either... they said that the information I provide is from a site that does not ship the product.

It is sad that what they clearly state is lost in what they have written in fine prints. I am going to post the complete conversation I had with their rep..

shortly. Waiting for their executive response.

In el paso Texas they told me they could not honor the price since they would lose money on the transaction. They also told me that they werent identical items, then i showed them a picture of the wood and it was even made by the same company.

The item was 7/16 x 4' x 8 ' osb board (strand) and was on sale in home depot $9.78 compared to lowes $ 11.22, and was the same manufacturer (trueboard).Then they just told me either way they would not honor their 10% price match guarantee.

I just bought lumber at Lowe's. Menard's had it for 25 cents a board cheaper.

I showed them the add, and they matched the price and took the additional 10% off no questions asked. Then with my Lowe's credit card I got another 5% off. SO I go it at the lower price, plus 15% off.

Considering I was putting shelves along the sides of my garage, I save a lot of money on lumber. I've never had an issue with their price match, you just have to make sure it is the same item.

I took a local ad on wood. I had to pick up some other things that the other company did not offer ( Graham's Lumber) on a 2x6x16 board Lowes wants 11.23 and Grahams Lumber had the same grade of board for 9.54, I would have been happy if they just matched it, I was told they now longer match this store. I said its on your desk right there glued to the desk that you price match. We do but our managers say we no longer match that store, Ok well what about Menards Lumber, No we no longer match them either. I ask their radius and no one could answer, the store was within 10 miles so I find it hard to believe they wouldnt match that.

I talked with a few friends that I have made over the years there and ask when and why this stopped, They said we got a new GM and he said we can no longer match their prices, I brought the GM back to the Mill desk and ask why. He said they sale below our cost. I said here is their flyer from their store , this aint a special this is their every day price. He said I understand but we have chosen to not match either of those stores. I ask how he could do that when its nationally advertised they price match + 10% and he couldnt even do a price match. He said because I am now over this store and I have taken them off the list.

I then ask the employee watching this to pull up my number, and I ask him for my sales, he said I cant but he can look at that. I ask him too. He pulled it up and could see year to date ( Starting in January) I had spent 193,483.12 ( I wrote it down) I put my cart down that had 1300.00 on it. and said enjoy that money, its no longer going to be spent in a Lowes store. We build homes in the area. Lumber is our number one item. I buy from all 3 stores and while the higher amount is at lowes that is because our paint, nails, and tools all come from this Lowes location.

So if lowes thinks taking their price matching away by GM's choice is going to make them more money then I guess we will see. (500k+ a year at Lowes ( 150k+ a year at the Menards and Grahams ) I guess its going to be a case where enough of us contractors take our business elsewhere they will start to see they make a better markup but not more money.

Or he's trying spend what he spends on shipping from ordering online to tax from picking up at lowes

And not have to worry about it getting damaged in the mail

And not have to worry about it getting damaged in the mail

Irish, it sounds like your IQ is about 27. Jonathan had a very good point that they should honor what they put in writing. I wish you the best in life as you'll need it.

I recently attempted to buy a gas grill from Lowes and they had a "Clearance" tag priced at 399.00. There were two left on the shelf, but the manager did not want to sell them to me saying they were a different model.

The model was written on the box and on the tag. I complained to the 800 number and was contacted by the GM and she said she was willing to take 20% off the original price. WTF the shelf tag is marked 399. F Lowes.

That is the last time I ever shope there. I told the manager I just bought a house in the area and spent thousands of dollars at Lowes. He replied I don't care, I have customers that spend millions of dollars and I don't give them a free BBQ.

I hope Lowes goes bankrupt. I was not asking for a free BBQ, just what they had advertised.

@ Irish, you are calling the customer a genius, and asking him/her to go to the competitor for the only reason that he/she is complaining because your LOWE'S failed to honor their own written policy ????? Who has an attitude and who is the GENIUS here ? Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt about your IDIOCY

If you go to lowes.com and read the price match policy they did what it clearly states. They gave you the item at the percent off of the competitor.

Here is the Policy:

We guarantee our everyday competitive prices. If you find a verifiable lower everyday or advertised price on an identical stock item at any local retail competitor that has the item in stock, we'll beat their price by 10% when you buy from us. Just bring us the competitor's current ad or we'll call to verify the item's price that you have found. Cash (charge card) and carry purchases only.

Competitor's closeout, special order, discontinued, clearance, liquidation and damaged items are excluded from this offer. On percent-off sales, Lowe's will match the competitor's percent-off offer. Limited to reasonable quantities for homeowner and one-house order quantities for cash and carry contractors. Current in-store price, if lower, overrides Lowe's advertised price.

Price guarantee honored at all Lowe's retail locations. Labor charges for product installation are excluded from our price guarantee offer in our stores with an Installed Sales Program

I brought an advertisement in from a competitor and they matched the price but denied the 10 percent, quoting they won't honor the 10 percent on "sale" items. Are all advertisements considered "sales"?

I would say no!

This does not match their policy. Very disappointed and I will no longer shop at Lowes unless they make this right..

You genius, if they don't price match than go to the stores where the items are sold cheaper. Why don't you do that?

My guess is those other stores banned you because of your attitude.

Also before making a fool of yourself get more familar with the policy. If you bought an item beforehand and in the future the price went down at the competition it is not part of their policy.

View more comments (13)
Review

Lowes has poor customer service.

After calling and getting no answer I went to the store and waited 30 minutes to be told the product was in but still has not been unloaded. Asked for credit application and was only approve for 500.00. Took 20 minutes on the phone just to get the application done and I have excellent credit. Went to Home Depot they had the product gave me a credit limit of 2500.00 and I only had to show my id and punch in my SS number into the key pad..no forms no calls...no wait time...and I had 4 asking if they could help me instead of me waiting for one person to help 4 of us. Just saying HD has got my money from now on !!
#192801

Sorry. It's--that works(first line). I will fink on myself before the "PRO" does.

#192799

Hey. Let me guess.

You are the Electrical Pro the works in the electrical department of a Lowes store(if not, then sorry). Your comments and the little bit of info that you throw around in your statements(all of them) suggest that. Maybe the person on this review does not quite understand credit procedures. The financial institutions for all retail stores in the world have the right to give limits for what ever reasont based on consumers credit history, income, and how much credit they are already paying on.

The retail stores have no business or rights in determining the total of a persons credit limit. The providers are seperate institutions and are used by stores because a store is not a bank. More established and honest places may only give a small limit in protection to the customer.

The credit guidelines have changed tremendously in this country with our new President. "Electrical Pro", find out what institution your establishment goes through(no matter who you may work for)and find out a little more about their credit provider.

#192694

I really do not see the poor customer service on this one. Our system is a little slow, I'll admit that. But as per the product still being unloaded...well, have you ever unloaded a 53 foot trailer full of product ?

View more comments (2)

Lowes review in Woodbridge, Connecticut: No call no show

order carpet, time to come was there waited 2 hrs, no call no show. drove 1 1/2 hrs to meet them. you need to get someone a little more responsible than who you have. i have spent thousands with your company and i get that kind of service. i called another company they came out that same night , measured order the carpet next day and it was in and installed in less than a week. you are a large chain , you should be able to do it as well. had trouble with home depot and don't shop anymore
Peter d

Oh no masa. Well get right out there since u have spent thousands of dollars at Lowes.

No one cares. Also learn English and how to type.

Loss

I feel that lowes could have worked with me to resolve problem with dishwasher

lowes would not let me exchange a cheaper dishwasher that did not work with a better one and me pay the difference of the two i tried to plead with them but gotten no reply the companys name is lowes hardwear in (starksville ms) thank u for your time sighned eddie the unit had a 3 month return policy and a one year warranty bot i am able to show proof that the house i built did not have power till one month ago.i just feel that they should talk to someone higher up and try to resolve this matter before it has to go to the next step

So you're saying you bought it over a year ago (since you could utilize the warranty otherwise) and now you want to return the old broken unit it as though it's "new"? Sounds reasonable to me. Of course, I had heavy head trauma recently and can't convertible the chocolate fax machine.

Who cares when your house got power. If you bought it over the warrenty period or the return policy period they cannot make an exception for you or they would have to for everyone.

View more comments (1)
Product
Lowes Warranty
Loss

Lowes review in Allentown, Pennsylvania: Lowe's is rude company

some of the people that work at Lowe's are very rude.they sit on the forklift and won't move when you are trying to get through the aile and when you ask for help they act like it the end of world. then when you apply for a job they won't hire you because you were terminated from your former job every one makes mistakes , I will no longer shop at Lowe's any more also prices keep going up on their products every day, how can the average person afford to buy their product in this day and age. mgw

Happy lowes employee wow just proved *** thanks:)

Fork lifts or any other power equipment cannot be moved without a spotter.PERIOD! It is a class a violation and the operator will be terminated.

Last time I looked, there were other aisles you could have taken. We deal with idiots like you every day

Did you ever think that they might have extreamly strict safety regulations? If you or another customer are within ten feet of the lift it can not be moved. Also they most likely have another customer waiting on them for the product they are getting.

You're just jealous b/c I look so badass on my forklift and they won't let you drive one. They won't even let you push the wheelie stairs around. Was your "mistake" at your last job the five fingered variety?

you have home depot tp bother....good luck there

Obviously you are angry because you were not hired so you are badmouthing them. Why were you terminated from your other employement, probably because you too were sitting on the forklift and acting like it was the end of the world when you were asked for help.

Perhaps you are describing yourself. Prices going up, happens everywhere, it's called inflation buddy.

View more comments (5)
Review

Lowes review in Palm Springs, California: Stall on replacing a newly purchased range with scratches.

We purchased all new kitchen appliances at Lowe's in June 2010. The stove had scratches on the top panel. According to the installers, these scartches are caused by the packing materials shifting during transportation. I went back to Lowe's and asked the appliance sales person to replace the stove and he agreed to do so and supposedly placed the order. Several weeks went by and nothing happened. I went back to the store and spoke with another person. He placed another order. A couple of weeks later, nothing was ordered. The store manager this time agreed to order.