Lowes - Bathroom Remodel Nightmare

When my husband and I decided to remodel our bathroom we thought we'd check out our local Home Depot and Lowe's. We didn't see anything that caught our eye at Home Depot so we were off to Lowe's. We ended up buying a beautiful vanity, sink, counter top, mirror, side cabinets, jacuzzi tub, faucet, toilet and shower head. We bought the whole shabang! The style we chose for our vanity every piece had to be ordered seperatly. The clerk quoted that we would get everything in two weeks.

It FINALLY arrived after SIX weeks! After unpacking all of the items, we had SIX defective pieces on the cabinet pieces. The mirror had a HUGE dent in the wooden frame, there were 2 drawers that were also dented, one of the side cabinets had an awful defect on the face as well.

When I called the next day to report all of the damage pieces the girl was nice and told us just to take pictures of the damaged areas and bring them in and they would order new pieces. She told us it would be in a "rush order" and would take a week for the replacement pieces to come in. Another SIX weeks later they came in. The mirror had another huge defect in it. The sales person that we had been dealing with has now an attitude with US when we call to inquire as to where our stuff is. She is nothing but rude! It's not our fault that the stuff is junk! If I would have known it was going to be such a headache, I would have returned every single piece that I have bought.

The counter top that we chose was a composite (like Corian, very pricey). It looked nice the first day. Until I tried to wash it. We read the directions and they stated to use any general household cleaner and a rag. I sprayed Fantastic on it and wipped it down. It left water-like rings all over the top! This was the last straw! I told my husband to take it off and return it. I did not want to exchange it and wait forever to just to have it happen again.

We went to a local Countertop store that specializes in just that. We thought we would pay through the nose. We chose a Silestone countertop. It was $100 LESS than Lowe's PLUS they installed it, which my husband had to install the one we bought from Lowes.

It has been close to four months now since all this has been going on and we are still waiting for the mirror to come, AGAIN! I will NEVER, EVER buy anything other than light bulbs at Lowes again! It really isn't worth the time, money or aggravation.

If you are located in the Southern NH area and want QUALITY countertops and cabinets I would highly recommend Solid Advantage. The people there are curtious, knowledgable and professional. I wish I would have went there first! We ended up also getting a beautiful countertop for our kitchen as well! What ever you do, DON'T GO TO LOWE'S!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 6 Yes 6 15 No 15
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 23 #1202720 Detroit, Michigan

People don't care & aren't held accountable for their actions. Sad we have to deal w/this ***!!!!

Jul 08 #1182743 Mooresville, North Carolina

So... this is Lowe's fault how? You do understand that what you ordered was custom-made, right? I don't know why anyone would have quoted you two weeks. Custom cabinetry takes 4-6 weeks on average. But being mad at Lowe's because it came damaged? Dumb. Lowe's didn't make it. Be mad at the manufacturer.

Jul 11 #1183599 Fairview Heights, Illinois

That happened to me at value city with a bedroom set. I sent it back 3 times.One smelled like paint thinner with dents all over the wood part. One had a whole on the headbord and broken mirrors on it. So finally I asked to come into the store and see it before delivery.The manager ask to open the boxes to check the items and thank goodness the 4th time was a charm. It's nerves racking getting flawed furniture.

Aug 23 #1202713 Detroit, Michigan

I think they r upset becuz of how Lowes handled the problems; not that its their fault it was damaged.

Oct 27, 2011 #365493

they really took the time to call you and tell you your mirror was broken dam customer service I guess they should of waited for you to pick it up so you can complain some more like the thousands of people that Scream everyday

1 7 Reply

Jan 01, 2011 #230738

WHEN I READ STORIES LIKE THIS, it reconfirms just how spoiled rotten folks are in this country. Lady, be glad you even have a home. So sorry about your damaged custom counter tops and the wait you had to endure. May God bring you a perfect world in 2011.

1 7 Reply

Oct 24, 2010 #203734

i had the same problem with Home Depot American standard cabinets. they were *** and I am stuck with them.

1 0 Reply

Oct 18, 2009 #79939

kitchendude, I failed to mention that each and every time that we would bring something back that was defected we got the "oh, here they come again" look by the department manager as well as the store manager. As if that weren't bad enough to make us feel even more uncomfortable when we would explain what was wrong "this time" they would give US attitude! Any manager that does not how to communitcate effectively and rationally with the customer, doesn't deserve to be in a such a position. Nor should they deserve my business. We're not talking about a minimal purchase, we spent thousands of hard earned dollars for this remodeling project. They should have done everything in their power to smooth things with us, the CONSUMER! Their customer service is nothing short of AWFUL!

7 0 Reply

Oct 18, 2009 #79891

Not everything comes on the "freight truck." I'm sorry that the reorders took so long, but Lowe's, like any retailer is at the mercy of the manufacturer. Do you believe the people at Lowe's want you to be unhappy?

Lowe's is staffed by people, just like every other business. Let everyone who works for a company with NO service issues step up. Oh, be sure to have over 100,000 employees and serve millions of customers a week. I would appreciate the insight.

1 4 Reply

Jun 08, 2009 #59624

1 0 Reply

Apr 27, 2009 #56775

Same thing when we remodeled.
Everything is cracked dented or chipped at Lowes. Where's the pride people. I get so frustrated with returning everything anymore.
Don't ever keep anything that's not right, maybe they will get the picture.

5 0 Reply

Apr 23, 2009 #56529

UPDATE . . . I just got a call from Lowes with an update on our replacement mirror. It came it but BROKEN, that's a shocker! I HATE LOWES AND THEIR NO GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE! I have a feeling that this project will never get completed, no thanks to Lowes!

3 0 Reply
Thomas Orville III

Apr 21, 2009 #56351

Wow, sorry to hear about your nightmare experience. Yes although I have never ordered anything from Lowes or HOme Dept. I've heard bad things....and your story is like the icing on the cake.

Thanks for the heads up and I will reconsider buying special order items at Lowes (or Home Depot) because of your post! :eek

3 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.