I ordered a custom screen door from Lowes.com. The scheduled ship date was 5 - 7 days.

About a week later, Lowes.com showed that my door was ready for pick-up at my local store. After making a special trip to the store, all I got was bewildered looks. They didn't have my door and couldn't even give me a status of the door. To make a long story short, about 3 1/2 weeks and 10 phone calls later, I finally received a call from the local store that my door had arrived.

They seemed so proud that they had finally done something. We made another special trip to the store. As soon as we got home, we opened the nicely packaged door only to find that it was busted in two places. It is completely unusable.

Lowes.com customer service was nasty to me when I called to complain. The only thing they offered me was to send someone out to pick up the door and they are supposed to refund my money. I'm not holding my breath. I have been a loyal Lowes customer for 20+years and have spent thousands of dollars at this store.

This experience burned me. I will never spend another dime at Lowes. Evidently Lowes is so big that they don't care about losing a single customer (me). I am telling everyone I know about this fiasco.

Home Depot will receive all of my future business.

• Lowes screen doors
  • Screen Tight doors

Comments

The door had been shipped and handled properly, as evidenced by the good condition of the packaging. The damage to the door was serious, and could have only occurred at the factory prior to packaging.

Lowes, as all companies, is responsible for the performance of its suppliers. A company is only as good as its suppliers. The larger issue, is that Lowes has so little respect for their customers that they launched an online system that is dysfunctional. It appears Lowes also has little respect for their employees as well, given that some expressed frustration with troublesome nature of the system.

This was far from our first disappointment with Lowes.

We attributed previous issues such as obviously un-useable/defective/damaged merchandise sneaked into our order to a sole "bad actor".

Our latest experience exposed to us a customer-hostile culture which apparently pervades the organization at numerous levels. We will have nothing more to do with a company who regards customers who have a legitimate complaint as a customer who thinks they walk on water.