Alliance, Ohio

We are in the market for a reel mower. I searched Lowe's website, and found the brand I wanted at a great price. Since the item was in-stock, according to Lowe's website, at only 1 local store, we called before making the 1/2 hour drive.

The lawn/garden associate searched the floor and warehouse with no success. Just to see if the item was available for purchase, I went to Lowe's mobile site and placed the item in my cart for in-store pickup. I showed the associate my phone, and asked what they would have done if I'd paid for the item at home and found it was unavailable when I got to the store. He stated that he wasn't sure. Another associate chimed in and said he remembered selling the floor model at least one month prior to our visit.

We went to the customer service desk where we were NOT greeted by the customer service rep (this is common in most retail stores, unfortunately). After explaining our situation, we were curtly informed that there is a day's difference between in-store availability and what is shown on the website, and that we should have asked for the item to be pulled from inventory before we came to the store. She seemed skeptical that we even found the item online, and asked to see it on my phone.

We also explained that another associate said he sold the item over a month ago, which was ample time for the website to have been adjusted.

She didn't offer us any alternatives or apologies for our inconvenience until I made a comment about the lack of concern for customer satisfaction on the part of many retailers, including Lowe's. She promptly cast the blame on the lawn and garden department staff, then offered to call a few other stores for us. We explained that there was no need for her to do so, because the website only showed availability at her store!

Product or Service Mentioned: Lowes Website.

• online ordering