Hello everyone, my name is Mike Lewis and I would like you to help me with boycotting Lowe's Home Improvement centers because of the discrimination my brother went through with Lowe's that I personally witnessed at the store in Bowie Maryland, from the manager at that store. Over six months ago I received over 300 emails from friends and family from all over the country telling me not to shop at Costco over the incident of the baby black doll that had a hat on calling it the "little monkey" and since that time, I and my family have closed our accounts with Costco. In December of 2008 my brother went to use a friend's credit card at Lowe's that he had been using for years to buy items to help do handyman work and he was denied the use of the credit card but to make things worse the Manager of the Bowie Lowes store treated him in a very prejudice and discriminating way. I happen to walk in the store a few minutes after my brother was humiliated and he explained what happened. I gave my credit card to my Caucasian buddy, we will call him Mr. H, and he proceeded to buy a much pricier item with my credit card with nobody stopping HIM from making the purchase with someone else's card. I then proceeded to where the manager was and told him what happened and asked him why my brother was denied yet my friend was not. The manager was rude and disrespectful and made prejudiced references to my brother "getting caught" as if my African American brother was doing something wrong, yet my white friend was not treated the same way. I called him on what happened with my white friend, as in that nothing happened, he was not stopped and the manager just waved it away as if that was Ok. Like I told the racist Lowe's manager at the time, that it's 2008 and it's a shame we are still being treated this way and he proceeded to kick us out of the store, "his" store he said. My brother's lawyers filed a 10 million dollar law suit against Lowes over this incident in Federal court and after a long time frame a very small payment was made to him to shut him up. At the deposition for my brothers case, I was asked if I had ever been arrested or been fired from a job, but they didn't as Mr. H these questions. I received a document from Loews wanting my brother's wife and me to sign off on the suit case that my brother had against them, for us to agree that "Lowe's expressly denies that it discriminated against Lewis" yet "Lowe's acknowledges that its former store manager could have responded to the December 21, 2008 complaint made by Lewis" "more constructively", yet Mr. H. who was also there and witnessed everything was not asked/told to sign off on the law suit. I refused to sign the Lowe's document and my brother's wife also refused to sign because she wasn't there and I was also just a witness in the suit case that my brother had with Loews. Lowe's does not want anyone to spread the news that they discriminate. If Lowes did nothing wrong, it is amazing that a year later that no one involved with this discrimination case from Lowe's, works at that store in Bowie anymore, how convenient. Lowe's has a history of discrimination and if you need more proof, you can Google "Lowe's discrimination" and see the cases and issues that others have had with Lowe's.

I ask you to please support local "Mom and Pop" hardware stores or go to Home Depot and NOT to shop at Lowe's because they treat minorities with bigotry and discrimination. This is the year 2010 and we should not put up with discrimination, racism and bigotry from any company, any organization or anyone. Also, please call, write or email Lowe's Corporate Headquarters

Lowe's Customer Care

P.O. Box 1111

North Wilkesboro, NC 28656

1-800-445-6937

customercare@lowes.com

and complain about the discrimination that their company practices and tell them that you will not stand for this type of behavior and that you will NOT shop at any of their stores till Lowe's acknowledges the discrimination and bigotry issues, Lowe's employees must all take diversity training sessions on how to treat minorities and that they donate Ten Million dollars to Bowie State University to go to minority students.

Thank You all for your support against bigotry, prejudice and discrimination.

Had an Experience with Lowes?

Comments

The University of California system (higher education system) has the same problems with discrimination.Although the state legislature allows such discriminatory behavior, there has been no motivation to correct it.

The only time that these issues are addressed is if there is public challenge to their policies (i.e., it was no mistake that Donald Sterling's contribution to UCLA was returned after his racist rants were discovered.It was only returned due to the public scrutiny and UC's referral to policies that are not worth the paper they are written on that caused UCLA to make the decision to decline the money hoping to separate themselves from the culture of racism that they know exists.)

Parents, students and people of color should not believe that UC and specifically the Office of the President, care about people of color in their organization.

What goes around comes around.To all the blatant racists who have previously posted and the ones that will surely follow.

Karma.Hope you enjoy it.

All cashiers don't do their job right, if the customer hasn't signed his card or if the name doesn't match (Name "helen" for instance and it's a dude), they should check for ID. Doesn't matter if they're white, black, or green.

On a side note putting "check for ID" is a total waste of time, if your card gets stolen do you really think the thief will keep that on?.. All you need to erase it is basic alcohol.

I loved the "Little Monkey" doll.I've got it hanging around somewhere.

It is illegal to use someone elses credit card. And if your "white" friend got away with it but your bro got caught then it sucks to be him. Two wrongs don't make a right. On my credit card it says ask for ID, rarely does that ever happen and that is a concern.

You strike me as the type of person that if your brother got killed holding up a jewelry store, you'd sue the jeweler for discrimination as well.

Frivolis lawsuits cost customers money in the end due to the cost of lawyers etc.and the rising costs of the items we buy.

to Oh my God #975471

People should pay for discrimination.Maybe then it would stop.

You totally miss the point. The story has nothing to do with his brother robbing anyone.

It has to do with a white man having privileges not shared by a black man.Are you for real or are you just ignorant?

:cry been a employee for there 8 years and seen all the abuse dicrimination, sets ups ect-- the place is like the game surviour :(

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #198634

your brother priobably did steal the credit card no way some black person can afford to spend as much as he did without stolen money.

Chicora, Pennsylvania, United States #198559

At Lowes we only cater to honest, paying customers.Mr Lowe who founded the company, hated N I G G E R S.

It is not our fault that your kind are rude,c dishonest, and murdering raping filth. If you need wood and nails, make it yourself. You wont get it at Lowes since YOU people are nothing but trouble.

We offer coupons for Popeyes, KFC, and many malt liquor and food stamp providers.Please give me a call at 1-800-***-NIGG and I will give you free stuff since you animals want free stuff but Obama wont give it to you.

#198377

Couple questions: Did your white friend go through the same cashier as your brother?Because the first one actually did the right thing.

Your brother is a stranger to that person as is the person who's name is on the card and if someone came into a store with my credit card I would much appreciate if they questioned that it wasn't me. The person who let your white friend do it was actually the one in the wrong. And also....10 million? Are you kidding me?

Even if you got the court to case they wouldn't make anyone pay that much for something that can easily be drawn out as inconsistent implementation of procedure (as I have just done above).

Sad to say but nobody is going to boycott big box stores because when it comes down to the end of the day the majority of us need the cheaper products and that's who offers it.We asked for it.

Chicora, Pennsylvania, United States #190677

You black people are always looking for racism and any excuse to sue.You wont win this case you cry baby, you were not emotionally distressed for 10 million dollars.

Maybe you were distressed to the point it was worth a bucket of chicken, not ten mill.Get over it.