I bought a Husqvarna 440 chainsaw from Lowe's on 8-3-13. Like many tools, you don’t always use them right away.

In October I cut a few pine trees for firewood and although the saw was a little underpowered, it got the job done. I maybe used it about 15 hours. Then it quit. I took it back to Lowe's on 11-16-13 and the associate said they couldn’t exchange it because it was past 90 days since I purchased it.

They would need to get it repaired locally. They sent it in and returned it about 10 days later. There was an invoice for $60.50, but the associate said it was warranty. I tried it out and it would run ok until turned sideways to cut a tree and then it would run out of gas.

(The tank was near full.) I restarted it 5 times in 10 minutes and gave up. I returned to Lowe's and a different associate said I would have to pay to have it repaired locally or I would have to pay expensive shipping to return it to the manufacture. I suppose I would have to pay the manufacturer to repair a product that’s under warranty and still might not get back a saw that would run. I don’t see any reason to throw good money after bad, so I’ll just absorb $300.00 loss and never buy another Husqvarna product or shop at Lowe's again.

I wrote a bad review on Lowe's website, but they refused to print it. Go figure.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Comments

dws3344
Henderson, Colorado, United States #772633

I have not had any response from Lowe's since they refused to print my negative review on their site. Lowe's and Home Depot are close together out here in more than one location.

When I go to Home Depot, I usually pass Lowe's and their parking lots are always almost empty compared to Home Depot. I don't know how they stay in business.

I have taken the Husqvarna chainsaw to another service shop who charged me $40 for nothing because they said they couldn't find any warranty problem. I took it to a third service shop who said they know what the problem is, but can't fix it.

It appears to be the electronic carburetor that's faulty and gets confused and shuts off the gas. That is scary because it seems all manufacturers are going to this type of control. Maybe other saws are ok, but I give up on this one.

Three trips to the mountains to cut wood ended in a return with no wood. I repaired my old saw and that's getting the job done for now.

dws3344
Henderson, Colorado, United States #758992

The issue is not the quality of the saw or how often I use it. The problem is lack of support from point of sale suppliers. It's bad enough to have to pay for a product but really hurts when you have to pay for warranty service for a faulty product.

nikalseyn
Columbia, Kentucky, United States #758328

I am a bit confused. Lowe's would not take it back as it was beyond their 90 day limit, but it was repaired under warranty.

It appears you had to pay for the parts, or the labor? What does your warranty say and how long is it good for?

It appears you do not use a chainsaw too often. Thus, you would be much better off buying a cheaper one.

Poulan makes a bunch of reasonably-priced ones as do other companies. Stihl and Husqvarna are usually both good, but pricey for the average user. Speaking of which, I bought a Poulan 18" bar chainsaw at Meijer's a month or so ago on clearance for $50. I don't need it as I have had a Poulan 16" machine for 20 years now but I couldn't pass it up at that price.

Best to keep your eye out. Sounds like you have a simple gasline feed problem.

If you can find someone who uses chainsaws regularly, they might be able to help you fix it yourself. Or, give them a few bucks to take a look at it.