2K views

I worked for Lowes for four and a half years. On July 9th, 2010, I was fired for helping a customer with a situation that happened 28 days previously. Lowes has always told its employees that they have the power to satisfy the customer and insure their continued patronage.

I have held the position of cashier, head cashier, and team lead of customer service while working for Lowes. On this particular day, I was working at the returns desk when the store opened for the day.

A customer came in with a defective Kobalt box cutter. Kobalt products have a lifetime warranty / no hassle return through Lowes. Lowes has an open account with Kobalt for defective or damaged tools made by them.

Lowes requires a receipt for returns. If no receipt you can get store credit with an I.D. This customer was a repeat customer who spends thousands of dollars at Lowes. The item he was trying to exchange cost $8.98.

The customer did not have his receipt and had left his entire wallet at home that day. He really needed a new box cutter for his job that morning. I wanted to help and so I used my SS# to issue him a store credit so he could repurchase the box cutter. I put in his significant information, name, address, etc.

The very next day the store Loss Prevention Person, approached me and asked about the transaction for the box cutter. I told him what I had done to satisfy the customer and he said, "Well don't do it again".

The next day my store manager Mark Goldsmith asked me to write a statement about the same transaction. I did. I honestly thought it was no big deal as we have fake I.D. numbers beginning with MY to use in similar situations. I just didnt have one on me at the time that the customer was there. I used my own social security number because I was not trying to be sneaky or hide anything.

Like I said, Kobalt items have a lifetime warranty, no hassle return policy.

Well 28 days later, after a 4 day holiday weekend, I came in on Wednesday to work my 6:00 am to 3:00 pm shift. At 2:45 I was told by a co-worker that I was wanted in the upstairs conference room. I went upstairs to find the store manager Mark G. and a zone manager, Robyn, waiting for me. Mark tried to make small talk and asked me how my day was and invited me to sit down.

He asked if I knew why I was there and I said I had no idea.

He then asked me if I remembered the incident about a month ago with a box cutter. I said yes. He said that they had completed the INVESTIGATION and that they were letting me go as of then. Falsifying documentation - he called it.

Can you believe it! Well I couldn't. A couple of months before this incident I was employee of the month. I got a $25.00 gift certificate and my own parking space up front. Now I was being let go over an item valued at less than TEN DOLLARS. I have never had any incidents with any employer involving me being dishonest. I don't consider this to be one either.

I never tried to hide it. No one was scammed or left lacking and the customer left happy. I could have given the box cutter away to him and wrote it in our store use log as a "customer satisfaction issue" and not have been in any trouble.

I was very well liked in that store and continue to be friends with many of my coworkers who are shocked by what happened to me.

I was proud to work for Lowes, and got several people I knew to work there too. But no more. I am furious, sad, and disgusted. Several customers have contacted me and told me they will no longer shop at Lowes.

God Bless them.

Sincerely,

Carolyn McGinnis

Product or Service Mentioned: Lowes Manager.

Comments

Eaton, Colorado, United States #1339814

I was fired after 4.5yrs for asking an employee why he left his dog in the hot car while he worked. but I didn't break his windshield like the other employees threatened.

They just wanted to get rid of us to bring New people in at lower pay. That's corporate America for you, they all suck.

But karma will get them in the end. Just have your popcorn ready ;)

lowes is filled with *** managers and asm's that could care less about anyone! they have an inner circle that they care about; obviously if you are outside of that they will cut your throat and watch you bleed just for enjoyment.

I have seen long term good employees get fired over the dumbest things, then on the other hand the laziest employees keep getting chosen for new positions! Never enough people on the floor then they wonder why morale is poor among employees!

I hope they go bankrupt with all the lawsuits they have ongoing they deserve it.Ill treatment of their employees that go above and beyond the call of duty;but they never have your back in return- screw them!!

Ashland, Virginia, United States #869530

Big fat no no never do that .....

In my store we have this situation all the time- customer returns a defective Kobalt tool, with no receipt, we just go get another one off the shelf (or the closest thing we can find if its been discontinued) and exchange it--no big deal. We don't typically issue a store credit

mhkoch09

I had somewhat of a similar situation but mine was worse. I messed up worse anyways.

No way you should have been fired for that, in my opinion. I also worked at the return desk. A fellow employee of mine told me he had a return to do and the 'defective' product was in the back. I took his word for it, that it was in the back(at RTM, as I have done for many non-product-present returns.) Turns out it wasn't anywhere in sthe store.

He wanted the money. Got surprised with an interview with some uneducated *** from corporate that wouldn't outright accuse me of something but did everything he could to try to implicate me of anything(for instance, he asked me if I had ever taken candy without paying for it.... *** no ***.) They fired me too. The dude from corporate was only doing his job, I'm not mad at him, but the way he was instructed to do so made it look like I was some criminal aiding this fellow employee in scamming the company out of money.

I got scammed by someone I knew. Happens on a much bigger scale with actual thieves but that's what Lowe's is scared of, employees taking money or being involved with it. Imagine if Lowe's had a union... lol *** CEO would *** his pants.

Lowe's is a *** joke of an employer. I could have got unemployment but I've never not worked since I was 15 years old. So, I got another job. But, I am still mad about it.

Unions are a good thing in most circumstances. This one definitely. The steel industry was taken down by unions but that was a manufacturing job. The service industry is different.

Don't let big business take advantage of you! Speak up and be vigilante!!!!!!!!!

Ivanteyevka, Moscow, Russian Federation #198752

Just don't forget it's that way in any store and the worse part is they seem to keep the worse of the upper management intact!

#196314

I work for LOWES and your story is no suprise to me, I see it all the time, I love the mngmnt team and most fellow employees but cant wait to move on to a more common sense company. they are they er own worst enemy and they dont care. If you break or bend the rules to make a customer happy and you get fired, you were probably already on the radar to be fired or the wrong person caught you breaking the rules.

Bene 'ayish, Hamerkaz, Israel #195741

You're better off not working there! I am no longer a customer after several mishaps. Good luck to you!!!

#193100

Elctrical Pro. "Let's build something together." Sound familiar?

#193099

Hi Electrical Pro. I'm here.

#192690

I have read the fired persons complaint and the replys...I see that

1.) a person is upset for going over the limit of policy concerning returns. if you held those positions then you should have know better...don't put yourself in harms way.

the remarks---understand this whats done is done and to the mark down for friends pricing from 20.00 to 2.00 impossible without a managers override card. come on, keep it straight, even a non lowes employee would know beeter than that.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #192334

Excuse me Sean! When have I ever made a false testimony?

When have I ever cheated on an exam? I don't appreciate you accusing me of doing things I would never do.

Unlike your parents I was taught better. I guess all Lowe's managers are the same.

Holmestrand, Vestfold, Norway #192331

Not very bright of her to leave her name here. However the real reason she was fired was for underpricing items to her friend.

She would override an item worth let's say $20 to $2 for her friends. Has claimed to "accidently" walked out with merchandise.

#192148

Come on people. 101 hits as of right now and none of you have anything to add to this complaint.

I have something.

Why use a comsumer complaint site to address the fact of why you can't hold on to a job? You did not consume anything.

#191849

Carolyn, you broke the rules. Debbie, we can not afford any more rule breaking in this country.

False court testimony is grounds for jail. Cheating on an exam is grounds for expulsion. Breaking policy and procedure in a business is grounds for termination. Does "THELMA and LOUISE" realize that they just announced to the entire world via internet that rules do not apply to them.

Remember Columbine. Rules did not apply to those 2 either.

to Sean/truth Los Angeles, California, United States #633933

It is easy to realize that rules are a necessary component in life. However, some rules are created as simply guidelines for possible settings.

Nothing that Carolyn has stated appears to be in poor faith. In fact, she appears to be concerned for the store and the customer and found a common ground to have the entire situation be a win-win. As a customer, although I have found Lowe's stores to be well-kept in appearance, I have continually experienced a lack of concern for their customers and employees.

Managers need to be able to provide verbal warnings, disciplinary steps, and ongoing trainings to avoid potential issues/mishaps. A policy of hire and then "fire" without sufficient cause is not a positive reflection of any company that a consumer would want to do business with.

#191680

I too have seen much ineptitude on the part of Lowe's as a corporation. They kept me waiting over 45 minutes looking for an item that had been checked in on a previous truck order. It turns out that they consider it delivered on some sort of "trust" basis. And although they never physically see the items, they are considered delivered! They combed the store while I waited the entire time. They offered me the opportunity to go to Pacoima ( late at night, mind you) to pick them up myself! I declined. One employee, who was not a store regular, offered to pick it up on his way home and bring it back in the morning. Wow, I could not believe how nice that was!

When I went the next day there were 30 or more of the product I needed. It turns out they were on the load that was parked all night outside the store. I waited the night before for absolutly nothing!! He went out of his way for nothing!!

When I spoke to a manager about it that next day, I said it was the most ridiculous policy I had ever heard of and he,like the good drone that he was, supported it and said that nothing could be done about it and that it was the was Lowe's always did it. Idiocy!! No apologies and no empathy.

It unfortunately doesn't surprise me that this person was let go. Lowe's can't see the forest through the trees! They don't see anything but the bottom line with a corporate mentality. That's why they promoted the bozo I dealt with to a management position! Get a clue Lowe's. Take a lesson from Trader Joes. The customer is the only resaon you stay in business. Try to learn how to just listen and you will be much more successful!

I only hope that this person will find a much more lucrative and rewarding position where their ability to be a genuinely good human being will be appreciated and rewarded.