8.6K views

I tried to get a Kobalt 25' tape measure replaced because it would not retract. Lowes told me to go to manufacturer for replacement.

The package stated "LIFETIME HASSLE-FREE GUARANTEE.You should never have a problem with your Kobalt tools. However,if you do, return the item to the place of purchase for replacement. No questions asked." After the the tool manager was called to the return desk. I was told that the model number is no longer carried.

When I asked for similar item they wanted to charge for difference in price? I tried explain the price of new one was the same as what I paid for the broken one. Now I asked to talk with the store manager. They made a phone call and I was finally given the new tape.

So much for a "LIFETIME HASSLE-FREE GUARANTEE" THANKS FOR THE HASSLE!!!

LOWES I'm buying Craftsman from now on! I've never had any problem returning a tool at Sears.

Review about: Lowes Replacement.

Comments

I to purchase a 25 foot Kobalt tape measure a few years back. After about a year it broke and I took it back and hassle-free was replaced.

That tape measure broke a few days ago and I took it in today and it was replaced hassle-free but I was told they will no longer Carrie the lifetime warranty hassle-free replacement. The new warranty is 90 day satisfaction guaranteed or return with receipt. That is a far cry from lifetime warranty.

The warranty was the very reason why I purchased the tape measure to begin with. I too will be looking for a new lifetime warranty product.

Went to get my tape replaced was told good luck & they gave me store credit instead

Kobalt made the choice to do away with the life time warrenty not lowes on the tape measures i have had many ppl come in trying to return stuff they broke wanting new tape measures then cuss me when i say i will not return it

Lowes is a lot closer to me than Home Depot. Lowes is much cleaner and better organized.

Maybe it is because, Lowes is always nearly empty and Home depot is always full of customers like myself.The staff at Home depot is always helpful and friendly.

Good luck getting any help at Lowes.I am not surprised, whenever I needed anything at Lowes, it was always so much hassle that I ended up going to home Depot.I no longer even bother to go to Lowes.What this man experienced at Lowes, is very normal conduct at Lowes. I would be surprised to hear otherwise.

Well since Sears is on it's way out.. Lowes will now be carrying Craftsmen tools..

to John from Lowes #1529189

Witch all of craftsman are made over sea now go figure

to Anonymous #1540032

need to look again on your source. must be a CNN website because craftsman is still and will ALWAYS be made in THE U OF SA

to Anonymous #1566551

You need to look at the packages. All craftsman wrenches, sockets and ratchets are made in Taiwan or China!

Yeah,went to Lowes yesterday and the girl have gave me my money back and I just wanted to replace tape measure.The catch...damned package says 90 day warranty now.Forget Kobalt,I'll go back to Powerlocks.Scammers!!!

I returned a tape measure that also had a lifetime warranty. They complained a little, but replaced it with the closest one they now carry.

It only has a 90 day warranty, so I won't be able to replace it again if it fails in the future. I won't be buying kobalt again.

THOUGHT YOU SAID THERE WAS NO MONEY EXCHANGED. APPARENTLY A LIAR

Today I tried to return for replacement a Kobalt 25' tape measure, the brake has stopped working, it stated on the package a Lifetime Hassle-Free Guarantee.I had another Kobalt Tape Measure that did the same thing, the brake stopped working, I took it to Customer Service at the same Lowe's, I took one off the shelf back to Customer Service and walked out with a tape measure that worked.The new store manger told me I needed to contact Kobalt.I will NOT buy anymore Kobalt tools from Lowe's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craftsman doesn't honor warranty on tapes anymore.

I feel your pain! I went through it today!about 1 hour of my life I will never get back because of a tape !

If you look at warranties they cover manufacture defects. They don't cover your ripping off the end of the tape. It's ignorant consumers that can't understand the difference between a defect and damage they caused that is causing the reduction in the warranties manufacturers offer.

I just experienced this same scenario yesterday (2-13-18) over the lifetime tape I had bought a while back. I had no receipt, nor did I remember when I purchased the tape and they said without either proof they would not replace the tape.

All Kobalt tapes are now 90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee. No more lifetime tapes. 20 minutes later and three reps from Lowes I was finally given a replacement. Which I then had to go from my orginal 30' magnetic to a 25' magnetic because they did not carry a similar product.

Kobalt is not a brick and mortar retail shop (that I know of in Indiana anyway) so I can not walk in and buy a tape from them.

Lowe's sold the product, they received my money and benefited from the purchase, they should honor the warranty. I guess I'll wait shortly until Menards does the same with Master Force tapes.

Talk to a manager. Go to Lowes.com and leave reviews.

They do read them and don't like negative remarks. I went through the same thing and ended up going to another Lowes and they gave an equal replacement. Lots of times the employees don't know what to do because nobody tells them.

The new Kobalt tapes are "easy read" with the fractions written on there. I'll never buy another Kobalt tape, for that reason alone!

Kobalt quality left with the life time warranty....never again.... craftsman for rest of life....USA USA USA

to Anonymous #1465594

Keep in mind that Sears is a done deal in most cities.Sad I know I will mess them . But Lowes will be carrying the Craftsmen Brand...Maybe we should not have left Sears for Lowes..

That's why Sears is going out of business. Lol...

also.. hate to tell ya but the rumor mill is saying Craftsman is going to Lowes.

The problem is just like someone mentioned before. There are no more Kobalt tapes. The store should replace it without hesitation with a similar tape though.

We do it without question. But keep in mind, we're a business just like most of you are a business.

What are you there for? To make money!

From a Lowes Employee