Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

This was the message I wrote to Lowes.

Dear Lowes,

Today I had the worst experience I have ever encountered during a transaction with any other business. I went to return a few items I had left over from a home improvement project. A total amount of $11.70 (with tax). I had to wait 30 minutes just to be seen by an associate, of the 4 present none acknowledged me or to say they would be available shortly. Even a manager walked by and there were about 4 of us in line, he offered neither acknowledgement or assistance.

All of my returned items were unopened in their original packaging with their original labels/upcs. I handed your associate my receipt to which he indicated was "useless" and threw it away because it was beyond the standard return policy. At which point he told me that "He wasn't obligated to return my items, that the company states it shall do so with it's discretion". I replied "I was just at Home Depot making a return, and they had no such issues with doing so." He said, "Well, let them loose money then." I said, "Isn't the point to make the customer happy?" To which he replied, "It's not profitable to accept returns, if you were in business you'd understand." I actually DO run my own business and personally I find the best practice is excellent customer service. However, I don't find it either appropriate or necessary for an associate of any company to argue with it's customers about anything. I have never been so embarrassed and insulted in making such a small return with completely unused and unopened items.

This is not my first negative experience with your company, but it is my last. Today you lost a customer over a grand total of $11.70. I promptly took my gift card and spent it so that I will never have to return to your store(s) again. I am glad you have a "Hassle-Free return policy", I certainly haven't experience it however. I will be sharing this with as many people as possible, and will direct them to do business elsewhere.

Comments

get over yourself

Orlando, Florida, United States #649497

People need to start reading their receipts. Once your over the "day amount policy" you don't get to return with or without the receipt.

What is so hard to understand about that? And yes companies can refuse a return.

The associate chose to argue with you probably because he didn't want to bother a supervisor who has more important things to do then to have to come down and regurgitate the same information that the associate has been trained to know and tell the customer about company policy. It's a waste of time.

I work for a competitor and you have 90 days to return most items; other items have 30 days other 7 days, if you go past that point you're not entitled to a return. The employee did sound a bit rude other then that no reason to be all huffy. I'm sure you were not so nice to the employee either causing the issue.

Philipsburg, Pennsylvania, United States #634676

This however is semantics, when you are returning an actively sold product which has been unused and unopened there is no loss to the company, the expense of paying an individual to re-shelve the item is nominal compared to the retention of a customer. That is economics "101", as a customer retained over a "lifetime" will return and easily offset this "loss".

I would be very curious to know which companies are successful who do not put their customers first. Naturally they retain their "discretion" in order to prevent exchanging product that was either not sold from their location, or was in a condition that would in fact cause a loss. Again my reciept clearly showed all the items were in fact purchased at their location.

However, to be fair to Lowes the store manager just phoned me and apologized and when I explained the situation he told me that given the circumstances that the representative should never have acted in that manner. I appreciate him having contacted me as it shows that they do have customer service in mind, which to me is an extremely important factor in doing business with someone.

yeaitsjim