Wheeling, West Virginia
1.1K views

Lowe's advertises a 10% veterans discount, yet the only way a veteran can get the discount is to present an active-duty, retired, reserve, or VA health system ID. Not all veterans have military ID's because they are out of the military with no reserve obligation at all.

Not all veterans are enrolled in the VA Healthcare System, because they do not have any service-connected disabilities, nor do they meet the low income required for a veteran (not service-Connected) to get VA healthcare. Why doesn't Lowe's just accept the Veteran's DD-214 with a photo ID which proves who the veteran is? I am a veteran's servcie officer, and I get at least 10 veterans a week who cannot get theis alleged discount, because of what Lowe's requires to prove you are a veteran.

I have gone around and around with Lowe's corporate on this issue, and they will not address it.

Comments

You can sign up on line or in store with DD214. I have 8 years service and I did..

I purchased some items at Lowes and they wouldn't except my Vet. Id card.

Said I need to go to service desk and sign up. I was in a hurry so I said I'd catch it next time. Few weeks later I went again this time to service desk. I provided the Gal there with 2 Veterans ID cards my VA health Care with Picture and my life time Disabled American Veterans card.

she said not good enough I need to provide my discharge date. Say What. I am a Vietnam War Vet when I got discharged, I left Fort Hood Texas and didn't look back, wanting nothing to do with anything Military. I read the Lowes policy on this starting: Jan 1 2018, it says nothing about discharge date!!!!

here is linkhttps://www.lowes.com/l/in-store-services.html#MilitaryDiscountProgram.Per this policy I qualified on the spot but service desk denied me. Employees should read this policy until they understand it and eah store should have written policy at service desk to be able to read along with Vet. and define the real truth.Please note several things: Lowes is allowed to share your info with all of their affiliates. They use a third party to verify this info.

It's called "Sheer ID" read their privacy policy: https://verify.sheerid.com/coppermtn-military/faq.html?token=g6LqAjThey deal here in the US and with European union also with Swiss-US.They are allowed to share your info with all of their affiliate. Europe? They are also tied into Google Analytics. All of which track you and anything you do on the internet.Seems every Tom, *** and Harry want your info in order to EXPLOIT you.Special note: it reads you don't have to have a My Lowes account to get the discount.

Just provide name and phone number at service desk and prove you are a Veteran, DD214 is best.

take a copy and black out your SS# They log your name and phone. You will then have to give your phone number at check out time in order to get the discount.Good Luck all.

Even with a valid Military ID you still need to sign up for a "MYLowes" card for any discount.Lowes used to accept Mil ID as proof of service. No longer.

ANY veteran can receive a veteran Healthcare card just by providing a DD214. Lowes does not accept vehicle registration either if you have disabled plates.

@Lovey STJohn

Not true. I have been honorably discharged over 30 years, no service-related disabilities, I make too much income to qualify.

I tried twice, and even went down to the VA Open House to see if I was doing something wrong. The people running the VA Open House did not agree with the policy, but could do nothing for me.

You need to fill out a MyLowes account. Which is located on the top right hand of Lowes.com.

They will send you a keyfob in the mail.

The cashier scans that keyfob and it takes 10% off... I have used for months now- newer program but works great.

Our Lowe’s accepts drivers license marked “Veteran”. Once you are in My Lowe’s system you are good to go...don’t have to show any other ID

@2 year army vet

Beginning zJan 5 2018 this method will no longer be accepted as the system will not override.

I marched into Lowes with my DD214. Lowes still wouldn't accept it.

Lowes is a liar.

I had the same problem of not having an approved VA card. I do have a driver's license showing that I am a veteran but Lowes doesn't accept this.

They are evidently saving money by refusing discounts to most veterans with no disabilities. If you must be retired or disable, go ahead and state that as a requirement to get a discount and don't pat yourself on the back for being veteran friendly.

You do not have to be service connected nor does income matter to get a VA card or to be approved to use the facilities. You are way out of date..............

#771950

I too am a vet. I was denied a discount at Lowes on the Vet.

weekend discount 2012. I had my discharge paper with me. The employees embarrassed me and my wife. THEIR AD STATED, discharge papers were ( my service1970/76) one of the thing you could use to verify your service.

I will shop Home Depot from now on. Home Depot, they were nice, polite, did not even want to see my paper work. They took my word for it. Get even!

shop at Home Depot..... P.S. Lowes lost a $1,900. sale on a refrigerator.

Their policy is great for other companies in the business.

I think they should do away with the military discount all together.

@LowesBlowes

I agree unless you're a WWII vet.

Anyone else DID NOT fight in any known conflict in which our "Freedoms" were in jeopardy.

Sorry but you knew what you signed up for and don't deserve an atta boy, a free cup and discounts galore.

There are 2 discounts they offer. One for retired/active/disabled vets (everyday discount) and the other is on special holidays like Memorial day/Vets Day/etc for the rest of the Vets.

I think it is great that Lowes stepped up to these discounts. Thanks Lowes.

The policy was put into effect as part of the WE program lowes started this year. I would never mess with a vet so lets get that out you guys and gals have kept us safe for years and for that I thank you.

Lowes however is not only screwing the Vets but their own employees. Pay cuts, Job eliminations, Top people selling stock like its on fire. My friends the gig is about up for the company. Now they are buying companies that were due to fail, Going off shore with a known looser woolworths.

Its death rattles. Why? Oh thats simple the fat cats on wall street. So we all have to suck it up employees and vets alike.

You lost 10% I lost 30% A car and perhaps my house but hey the paycheck is indeed predictable every 2 weeks a whole lot o nothin......

And when wall street fails and one day it will and they are all starving because they lost their millions you and I will be ok. But the fat cats will beg for a *** to eat and will get none....

I agree with the complaint that a "Veteran's discount” should apply to ALL honorably-discharged Veterans, not just those who retired from the military. I have both a VFW and American Legion membership card. These cards and my I.D. used to get me the discount at Lowes, but lately store managers have been enforcing this more stringent policy requiring a V.A. healthcare card or active duty or retired card. I don't have any of these cards. The only way for me to get the V.A. Heathcare card would be for me to use my service-connected injury to request free medical treatment from the V.A.

I work at a hospital and have full-coverage and do not need to use Federal Funds to pay for my healthcare, but I guess this is the message that Lowes wants to send: "If you served you country, but then got out and joined the private sector, your service is invalid. We're only interested in supporting folks that stayed in the military, not other vets. For the rest of you, your service doesn't count!"

The VA website says the following about the V.A. card: "With regard to the use of veteran ID cards for store discounts, please note: If these are valid discounts for Veterans, a Veteran's DD-214 and a driver's license or non-driver's license should be appropriate. The VIC is the only ID card offered for Veterans by the V.A."

You should also note that Home Depot, a direct competitor to Lowe's, offers the same discount with much more lenient rules. They still take my VFW or AL membership cards and a CA driver's license as proof of my Veteran's status, i.e. their discount is a “TRUE Veteran's discount”. The local Home Depot store is a little farther from my home (5 mi.s), but I am going to start using them exclusively from now on for all of my purchases, out of principle, since Lowe's has turned this supposed Veteran benefit into a slap in the face to MOST Veterans.

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

•1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.

•2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits

•3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

This is from the Lowe's website. Maybe you could list all companies that give a military discount and how much it is.

#771952
@Bill

They need to have a class for all employees at Lowes, so they get the message. They don't know about it.

There are some stores that will accept a DD 214 with photo ID, the exception is up to the store manager, have you tried approaching him/her?