I went into the Norwalk, CT Lowes store to order a sliding door for my patio. I was quoted $477 plus misc. fees in the store for the installation.

The installer went to my home and came back with an installation price that was more than double the $477. He said it involved custom work.

Now, I've had home construction jobs done before, including 5 windows put in by Home Depot, and never had an installation estimate come back at double the original estimate. This was a normal slider!

I thought this was exorbitant and canceled the job. I will go back to Home Depot and get the slider. At least their installation price was honest!

Lowes better find other installers

Product or Service Mentioned: Lowes Door Installation Estimate.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Comments

Same for me - Installer never got in touch - had to chase them. Store said cost would be around $200.

Contractor: $672. Price gouging. I have been calling/emailing Lowes' board of directos, the CEO, etc. Only receive replys from workers low on the totem pole.

I spend thousands of dollars at Lowes. Guess that's a drop in the bucket, but enough drops put together will combine to make a river.

They should never quote an installation charge without coming to your home to see what needs to be done. Sure, you may be having a "standard" door installed, but is the old door the same size.

A standard 6' patio door is currently has a 6'0" x 6'8" rough opening. Older 6' doors varied from 5'11" to 6'5" in width and up to 6'11" in height.

If you opening is different than the current size there would be additional materials and labor involved to install the door. You may well find the same situation when you get to Home Depot as well.