I purchased a full set of lifetime warranty Kobalt mechanics tools and screw drivers from Lowes to have at a econd home. Up to this point I always bought craftsman.

The first time I used the 3/8 ratchet wrench, it did not hold the socket. As luck would have it, I was working on a dock and had no other tool to use - the socket fell into the water and I am missing a 1/4" socket. Lowes would not exchange the rachet for a new one (like Sears has always done to honor their lifetime warranty) and they wanted no part of giving me a new socket. Also, the screwdriver have proven to be toys - the straight edge bends and the phillips strips.

Today I am gathering all of my Kopbalt tools to return them - should be interesting to see how that goes. I will replace them with Craftsman - they look real good after this episode.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lowes Warranty.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Nov 05, 2011.

Comments

I mentioned that IF there's a vrosien 2, the designers might try to build it with a one-handed mechanism if possible. Don't hold your breath, though, the driver is actually well optimized and probably won't see a significant revision for a long time if at all.

Kobalt will benefit much more if their engineers instead focus on designing a completely different mass-appeal hand tool for next year's Fall/Winter holiday shopping season.I'm sure that they must have thought of ways to make the screwdriver even better, but I can see several obstacles that led Kobalt's engineers to stop at the current design. Trying to implement an automatic mechanism that did not require two-handed operation, if even possible, could potentially increase costs substantially, result in excessive complexity, add to the tool's size/bulk. This is all of course assuming that there are no mechanical challenges to overcome.This is by no means a rushed tool, it feels complete and very well designed. Last year's Multi-Drive wrench also looked complete and well thought out as well.The driver is a bit front-heavy, with the center of mass at about where the user would hold onto the blue collar.

It is slightly awkward to operate the driver with two hands, but the speed advantage makes up for this unless high precision or torque is needed. The handle is plastic and mostly hollow, but some users will likely fill it with screwdriver bits for a more compact on-the-go package.

Here is an example of someone having more money to spend then brains to use. In fact, buying most anything at Lowes is a mistake, it is all "contractor grade" ***, aka "seconds" in the retail industry.