I am sending this to inform you of my total dissatisfaction and disappointment with the home renovations that were undertaken and are currently still being managed by the Albany, GA store (0491). While the initial meeting and planning with the store’s Project Specialist, Mr.

Donald Whiteman went well; the overall management of this project has been unacceptable to say the least. My wife and I initially met with Donald back in April 2017. We had decided to do a complete makeover to our property and so met to discuss the feasibility of Lowe’s doing the work. We outlined the extent of the remodel project and Donald assured us that this was something the Albany Lowe’s was capable of doing.

We also let Donald know that it was our intention to live on our enclosed back porch while the remodeling was underway. The project was extensive and included; the removal of a load bearing wall, removal of the popcorn ceiling throughout the house, moving the kitchen into the existing dining room, replacement of all the kitchen cabinets and counter tops, upgrade of the master bath, hardwood flooring installation throughout the house and other general renovations. We went over the kind and type of flooring, kitchen cabinets, counter tops, tiles, back splash, lighting and the general color scheme and the other details of the project. At one point my wife asked if Donald was going to write any of this down and he stated the he had it all in his head.

Donald also explained to us that he and the chief contractor, Coy Porter would develop a project plan which would be provided to us in a project binder along with the rest of the details of the project for reference. We asked Donald for a quote. We were told the two checks were required due to the Albany stores inability to process one check for the total value. We were told that Lowe’s wasn’t willing to accept the liability for the replacement of the load bearing wall, so on 5/11/17, we cut a check to Kellerman Construction.

This is when the project management began to abate. When we hadn’t heard anything after our checks had cleared, I contacted Donald on 5/18/17 for a status report. He informed us that it looked like things were already starting to come in and he would be meeting with Coy Porter the next day to come up with a start date and a project plan. Hearing nothing back, I contacted Donald a week later.

He then informed us that he and Coy determined that 6/12/17 would be the start date. With demo beginning, my wife and I decided to spend some time with our grandkids. While away we were informed that our new cabinets would be delivered between 6/23/17 and 6/29/17. We confirmed this with Donald and said they would be delivered to the Albany store.

Returning home on 6/18/17, we found our home partially demo’ed and work was being done to remove the popcorn ceilings. On 6/23/17 all work stopped. Wonder what was going on, I sent emails to both Donald and Coy On 6/28/17 requesting a status and a copy of the project plan that was promised us. Coy informed me that, “Jeremy and I do have a plan and a schedule we just don't have it wrote down we just knowing our heads and in our minds how everything should be going right now…” Coy eventually provided us with a notional plan on 7/5/17.

The plan indicated a completion date of 9/1/17 Work continued and on 7/11/17, we went to visit our other grandkids, returning a week later only to find that very little had been accomplished inside the house other than some work by the plumber. This is when we discovered a leak under our guest bath sink which damaged the cabinet and the wood floor molding. Additionally, our irrigation system no longer worked and there were several holes dug in the yard as the plumber tried to identify how water got into the house. We also discovered that two of our new retractable hoses had been destroyed.

On a good note, a brick mason (Scotty Engram) was on site and he did a superb job of removing and replacing the brick around our new windows. All of this was passed on to Jeremy Davis, the contractor foreman. The leak was rectified. At this point contractors on site were fairly scarce.

My wife and I had to continuously contact Donald, Coy, or Jeremy to get someone to work on this project. We were never certain who at the Albany store was actually in charge. We repeatedly asked about the status of the wood flooring to ensure it was in the house long enough to acclimatize. The flooring installation could not be completed because not enough wood was ordered.

We asked about the status of the cabinets. At one point Donald could not find them in the warehouse. The Albany Lowe’s was unable to deliver the cabinets to our house, so one of contractors picked them up in his personnel truck. Once here, they arrived with the wrong handles.

When the new handles came in, there weren’t enough. Our old toilet was in the house for twelve weeks and we expected it to be reinstalled, then someone accidentally threw it away. We now have one of those new efficient toilets that require two flushes to get anything done. There was at least four weeks of accumulative time where there simply was no one working in our house.

We contacted the corporate offices on two occasions for some assistance, only to be told that the Albany store manager would get back to us. We have never heard from him. Donald did contact us to let us know “He was working on it.” Today our countertops were to be installed. They were the wrong color.

There will now be at least another two week delay. It also appears that our hardwood flooring is buckling. After redoing the floors, they began to buckle a second time. This has and continues to be a dreadful project.

We are convinced that if we hadn’t been here to facilitate this project, we wouldn’t have this much work completed. We are now 24 weeks into a ten week project.

It is my opinion that this project far exceeded the capability of the Albany Lowe’s and should never have been taken on, nor should they take on any other projects until they are better equipped at managing them. I certainly had expected something more from the from a company that vows to “ …provide customer-valued solutions with the best prices, products and services to make Lowe's the first choice for home improvement”.

Review about: Lowes Remodeling.

Reason of review: All of the above.

I didn't like: Lack of responsiveness, Are not organized, Quality of the artisans.

Comments