My husband and I ordered carpet for our house on Sunday, April 4, 2010, at the Lowe's store in Bloomington, Indiana. We were pleased with our purchase and with Paul Bray, who took our order.

On or around April 15, we were told that our carpet would be installed on Thursday, April 22. Although we were paying for the installers to move our furniture, we were told to move everything except for the large pieces of furniture, so I took Wednesday, April 21, off from work to do this. It was a time-consuming task.

On the morning of Thursday, April 22, my husband received a call from our installer telling us that our carpet at Lowe's in Bloomington was so damaged that none of it could be installed. It would have to be reordered.

When we spoke to the people at Lowe's in Bloomington, we were told many versions of the story. At first, it was strongly implied that the carpet had been delivered damaged. When I asked why the delivery had not been inspected, I was told three different things: First, store employees did not have time to inspect deliveries. Second, store employees assumed/trusted that the supplier would send only high-quality goods and inspection was unnecessary. Third, the carpet had been damaged during shipping. When I mentioned that my family, in their manufacturing business, finds it good business practice to make sure that their customers' goods, upon delivery, are high quality, I was hung up on.

During a subsequent telephone call (I believe I was speaking to Guy), I was finally told that the carpet had been damaged at the Lowe's in Bloomington. Apparently, it had been put on some sort of storage rack incorrectly and had been torn when it was being taken down. I had no way of knowing which of the many stories was the truth, and at this point it didn't really matter. No one seemed to care whether we would get our carpet or not.

By the way, by this time I had already made a payment on the carpet.

We later spoke to our installer, who happens to be a former student of my husband's (who teaches at Martinsville High School). He said that the carpet had not only been put on storage racks incorrectly, but that after it had been torn while being taken off the rack, it was repeatedly run over by forklifts.

We were told that our carpet would be reordered and a "rush" would be put on it. We could expect it to be delivered in two weeks, around May 6. Unfortunately, the carpet was not ordered on Thursday, April 22, or Friday, April 23, or Saturday, April 24, or Sunday, April 25, or even Monday, April 26. Because we had moved all of our belongings from our bedrooms, living room, hallway, and entryway, there was nowhere for our daughter to put her belongings when she moved home from college on Sunday, May 2. It was imperative that we have at least the carpet in her bedroom installed by Saturday, May 1.

On Monday, April 26, my husband and I went to Lowe's in Bloomington to see if any carpet in stock would be acceptable for installation in our daughter's bedroom. All carpet in stock was very unacceptable. We spoke again with Paul Bray, who was intent upon helping us get satisfaction. At this point we found out that not all of our carpet was damaged and that enough undamaged carpet was available for our daughter's and our son's bedrooms. Our installer agreed to put it in on Saturday, May 1. As we left, Mr. Bray assured us (without our asking) that we would be "compensated" for the delays and other problems we had encountered. Of course, no more has been said on that subject.

The remainder of our carpet was installed on Saturday, May 8. Even though most of our furniture was not returned to its place after the carpet was installed, we were happy to finally have it finished. On Tuesday, May 11, a vacuum run over our new carpet pulled up ALL the seams: a long one in the living room, one between the living room and hallway, and each one between the hallway and the three bedrooms.

I called the Lowe's in Bloomington on Thursday, May 13. I spoke with three men in the flooring department, all of whom were cursory to the point of being rude. I spoke finally to Guy, who offered neither apology nor sympathy. He only said that he would contact our installer, who would contact us.

We have heard nothing since. The seams in our carpet are pulling farther apart, to the point where I do not believe they can be fixed easily.

To put it mildly, we are exceptionally displeased with our experience with Lowe's. We still, however, expect to find satisfaction. I believe that the contract we signed assured us that Lowe's would provide quality carpet and quality installation. We await your compliance with that contract.

Review about: Lowes Installation.

Comments

jeff.zaun
Rehrersburg, Pennsylvania, United States #214960

If it is a special order carpet it doesnt even go to the store. It goes straight to the installer.

So your husbands student's story seems fishy.

Other than that. I am very sorry about the issue and I know paul and I want you to know that I am sure he did everything he could.

#209909

The same thing happen to me and my new rug from lowes. I had it three weeks and the seems came apart and its ruined!