I tried to purchase a new Gas can for a grill, but Lowe's said they only sell recycled cans with gas. When I pointed out the gas bottles were 6 to 13 years old, and that the 13 year can was no longer legal, I was told that was not their responsibility and I should contact their supplier, Rhino Gas, even though I was purchasing directly from Lowe's.

I will contact the local fire marshall in the morning.

Gas containers when filled are under high pressure.

Rust or corrosion can weaken the container over time, A pressure test, every 12 years, is to verify that it is still safe to use. The date of the test is stamped on the container handle.

Comments

commonsense2011

They should have taken care of you, given you a new container, contacted Rhino, and gotten the older tanks taken out.

nikalseyn

stores never will admit something like this and just shrug their shoulders. You might go into Lowe's the next day and see if they have suddenly taken the out-dated ones away.

If not, call the local fire marshall or townhall people to file a complaint. Sometimes the only thing that will get these stores to comply with safety rules is to file a complaint with the appropriate authorities.

That's why we have rules and people to carry them out. Not for big box companies to flaunt them.