15.2K views

Advertisement said $98 whole house install. After we paid $32 for them to come out to do a square footage estimate, thew insisted that we buy there pad.

We already had new pad (less then 1 year old. Steps cost extra, plus carpet removal (which we had already removed). total for labor only would be $1900 dollars.

We got them to remove the charge for carpet removal however they still want to charge $1300 for a $98 whole house install. The carpet person at this Fredricksburg VA store eventually hung up on me after I told him I don't care how his numbers add up that was his problem in my math $98 never =1300+ dollars.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lowes Estimate.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Mar 06, 2010.

Comments

Like most of the reviewers in this forum, I’ve had both positive and negative experiences with installers and concur that “scams” are perperprated by big box stores and the mom and pop operations. Based on my experience, I’ve learned to take my time and get multiple estimates, sometimes as many as five.

Drives my wife crazy, but at end of the process and a decision is made, both of us are confident in that joint decision. The decision is based on numbers (facts) received from contractors, who quickly figure out we’re not in a hurry and that scam artists usually can’t keep their story straight. Six months ago, we used a mom and pop operation to remove and re-tile approximately 2400 sf of flooring in our home. Very professional installers, with the site manager eyeballing every detail of the installation.

However, I attribute our success to the research we did prior to selecting a vendor and the relationship we established with company BEFORE the job started. Today, I’m having multiple contractors come out and give us estimates on carpet, to include the mom and pop folks who did our tile job. Bottom line, stop complaining and just do your research on potential contractors. It’s your hard earned money, so spend it wisely!

BTW, the Lowe’s the contractor did give me a quote today, and “yes” they inflated the square footage of areas being measured.

I called him on it, stoped him in progress, and politely asked him to leave our home. Three of the quotes are scheduled to come back on 11/5, which we’ll thoroughly review before making a joint financial decision!

Austin, Texas, United States #1240394

My free installation ended up at $2800, Lowes is a major scam on carpet by using the pad and installation for hidden costs. $500 to haul off the old carpet, $250 to move the furniture around and they will not move beds or TV's, $84 for carpet tape and almost double the going price for pad.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States #1235772

If you read the $98 BASIC LABOR charge it clearly states "does not include installation on steps, moving furniture, rip up and removal and any other customization". I'm also positive that the quote for $1300 included the carpet and pad.

Before you negatively criticize Lowes and the associate that EVENTUALLY hung up on you for attempting to explain to you that you are wrong you should get your facts straight. It's people like you that make retail associates jobs very difficult.

The carpet installation pricing is very clearly listed all over the department. Try reading and listening to the professional sales associate before posting bogus stuff like this.

to Anonymous Perry, Georgia, United States #1292020

Even as a worker, I can see the scam. Not exactly as this women stated, but I can see it.

I went with the free installation and that includes furniture removal, carpet removal and haul away. One if the first charges I seen were for haul away. Then i add up my numbers.

They want me to buy 92 extra square feet of rug which totals $150. Why should I buy that much extra to literally cover 10 square feet that is not covered by the 15 foot roll????

to Anonymous #1556635

You must be employed at Lowe’s. Truth is this helped me change my mind and go elsewhere.

Realize consumers have choices and for you to post your nasty reply just shows that customer was right and you didn’t do a thing for Lowe’s. It’s people like you who make people like me glad I went elsewhere!

Try making better decisions before attacking customers because Military Veterans like me wont shop there. Too bad cause I was gonna spend thousands....

Yup that's how they get you

When getting estimates fir flooring. Get several estimates.

Compare apples to apples. Most installers are subcontractors. When working for lowes they require them to be carry all kinds of insurace!! There is no way they can install a whole house for 99.00.!!

They would loose money!! They are tacking it in somewhere!! Get a bid from them for carpet pad and labor. Now get another bid!!

Compare the bids!! Is the overall price higher or lower? Is the value of the product the same? Flooring stores carry all the insurance that lowes makes the installer carry.

The flooring store will back the product and give u a warranty!! Lowes does have a credit card u can use!! Stores most likely have some kind of financing...

Depending on credit... My husband has been in the flooring business for close to 30 years....

Lowes riped off my wife. We wanted new carpet in our house so I told my wife to handle it.

She called lowes they came out and gave her a square footage of 960 sq. ft. that would cover any overages they had. So my wife said ok after I got the 4500.00 dollar bill I did the sq.

ft. I came up with760 sq. with overage allowed. front room is 21/23.6.

So carpet comes in 12 and 13 foot rolls average you take 44 running feet witch would be 12/44 foot long cut in half put it side by side you get 22/24 minus the fire place you cut out 24 sq. ft. that goes in to the two closets I have.That they charged extra for Overage they say. Hall way is 43 inches wide I figured 48 inches or 4 ft.

wide 28 foot long take the left over carpet would be 28ft long 8 foot wide cut that in half that gives you 16/14 that fits the dining room that's all the carpet you need.12 by 72 foot long they charged my wife for 12/80 running feet that's like an extra 96 sq. ft. at 5.25 a sq. ft.

that's about 500.00 they got us for not including the pad. Not happy with LOWES at all. I will not go back to them ever again.

Ladys beware. Las Vegas Nevada

It's all a scam. I paid almost $3000 for a flooring install that has yet to happen.

The contractor will schedule, then something will come up the day before and it'll be rescheduled. This has been a neverending process for me.

Horseheads, New York, United States #944654

Explain how someone is suppose to make a living on 98$ for a whole house installation. Grow up quit wineing

to Me Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States #947446

Then why advertise it at $98?

to Me Griffin, Georgia, United States #1123617

To "me" If you had not gone to school,( I am making and assumption) you just would not know much of anything. They get a commission off the carpet , and the padding, Get it? A+B+$98!

to Mike #1124055

Mike, This is how it works. The installer gets a rate based off the square footage payed for by Lowes.

They also get paid for moving furniture, removing carpet and pad. They also get paid for moving furniture, upholstered carpet, trim pieces, transtitions, etc. They ARE making more than $98 for the installation. Lowes simply increases the retail prices on carpet and pad to cover the cost of the installers fee and then market it as x amount.

If the consumer believes he is saving money because Lowes tells him he is... well it's a credit to marketing.

to Me Mooresville, North Carolina, United States #1313354

It's called a bait and switch. It's an absolute scam.

Get multiple estimates. Period.

If you choose to only get one estimate how can you compare? Take the time to do it right on the front end so your confident in what your buying.

to Me #1377746

Yes understood then just market and charge the installation charge instead of creating smoke and mirrors to confuse the customers

Everyone has had there own type of encounters with lowes and other large retail stores. If you feel good about yours and the service provided ..

That's good. But I agree with the installation price being of a misleading nature regardless of further information in some pamphlet... It should say on the shelf with the price of installation that the price does not included preparation for installation. And I know its the consumers job to ask questions and they are there to make money but you know *** well that the marketing team putting the idea into effect knew it would draw the unknowing customer in for an ambush sale.

And it is irratting for a fellow human being to take something at face value for what it says and to get excited about getting a deal only for them to come out and waste your time when you can get a better deal with your localy owned small town or city store. And they know this and that is why their main advertisment in adds commercials and on shelf are made to appear to be a better deal while knowing that people in general will misunderstand. So the people on here that are acting like no one has a right to be upset are wrong in my opinion because you did not share their experience of being maliciously misled.. Because it was preconceived.

Which is wrong on a moral level.

Things are to tight with finances today for some company to try and mislead and railroad you into a series of events to get there foot in the door so they can get a bigger profit margin when its well over the smaller company now. Support your local small businesses that conduct theirselves properly.

to license Honolulu, Hawaii, United States #936267

I am a flooring installer and accidentally came across this You all *** idiots. It says right on the ad that the 98 only covers BASIC install.

Which means, walk in and start kicking out pad and carpet. Of course removing and hauling away the old, dump fees, moving furniture, installing tack strips, steps and any custom work is extra charge.

Quit whining and get over it. Find something better and more productive to do with your time

to yo #967811

I couldn't have had a simpler carpet to remove. No furniture, carpet is not glued etc. I still feel taken advantage of and time wasted to meet someone to have a quote be ten times the amount quoted!!

I wish I had read reviews before wasting my time.

to yo Wadesboro, North Carolina, United States #1313356

Real professional.

to license #1314196

I've installed carpet for 20 years. You will be hard pressed to get the same carpet cheeper at a mom and pops..

Lowe's has BUYING POWER over these carpet mills, And the small stores will sell you one sample and put in a lesser grade. No b.s...

Stay with bigger stores... Get multiple estimates, and take the sample home until install of you go to small place