1.9K views

I was hired in after October 2011 as a sales specialist. By "profession" I am a kitchen & bath designer.

I was offered an hourly pay with spiffs & commission. The hourly pay is "below" industry standards in my region. But with spiffs & commissions I determined it would all pan out. Now that they took spiffs & commissions I am below the industry standard in pay scale.

Not to mention I was hired after 10/2011 so I do not get any additional pay on a weekly basis. You would have thought they would have given some compensation... I feel that they hired me under false pretense. Corporate knew they were going to roll out this compensation change before they ever approved my hire.

I would like to investigate this further to see if a law suit is possible. Do you think that I am even going to schedule appointments, take my car to do an in-home measure, make 3 - 4 different renderings of possible layouts for a customer when I am not going to get even a standard wage. WOW I came to work at Lowes because I respected them. I was fooled.

For all of you out there that are ASM's or under the opinion that sales specialists are not worth the extra pay - think again I worked for Lowes in the past in this same position & know for a fact that NONE of you can do my job. So get ready to learn the job because you will have to do it when me & my fellow designers all leave your precious company. It will be such a good feeling to get a good job & quit this one.

I am so sad, angry, and most of all worried about meeting my monthly bills in the mean time. This is surely going to be the beginning of the end for Lowes.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Feb 09, 2012.

Comments

Wow what a brat. First of all you left out that Lowe's is paying you an allowance for taking away your spiffs.

That you get forever. So why don't you just quite and go some where else.

Oh wait who else is hiring cabinet designers with the housing market the way it is right now. So why don't you be grateful that you have a job instead of complaining that there treating you so bad.

to Anonymous #866940

You're an ***. Go back to the store and put some bone suckin' sauce on your store manager.

I started in spring of 2011 with inside Lawn and Garden. I had gotten use to spiffs and yes, I was mad when I lost them but I wasn't mad enough to go on an online web portal and whine about everything.

You all can sit here and *** and moan about everything you want. There are too many factors to blame Lowe's as a company. Every single store has their own management staff. All with their own beliefs on how to run a store. All of them are useful in their own styles.

Another thing is that cooperate doesn't know that some small store in BFE hired someone for specialist. Nor does store staff know 8 months in advance that spiffs will be taken away. So you can't blame anyone there. It was just the luck of the draw.

I do believe they need to incorporate spiffs back into the sales because yes, it is a driving force for sales people. Especially if you're not a specialist and don't have monthly goals.

All in all, losing spiffs isn't going to make or break you. If a cart pusher or a seasonal part-time hire can make it, a specialist surely can. Just because your eyes are bigger than your wallet, don't blame the company.

Lowes: Less Opportunity With Enhanced Sacrifices, i.e., Walmart with lumber.

Wildwood, Florida, United States #434207

Great point Boris. For more about Lowes "glass ceiling"

Go to WWW.GLASSDOOR.COM

:eek :upset :sigh :cry :( :x

No more Lowes for me!!! I quit...

I am happy to be in the 30% of the people they wanted to see leave the mis-managed company.

I was asked by a Kitchen & Bath customer if I earned commission - I told him not any more they took it away from all employees. This was brought up by the customer to the Management Team - I was singled out by Management was ""YELLED" at & told that I could not tell customers about this change...Hmmm why not??? Isn't it the truth? What is there to hide - why lie to a customer?

Oh, that's right because they may find it offensive that a "SALES SPECIALIST" does not get COMMISSION & decide to purchase where employees are properly paid and given incentives! Way to go Lowes... you will be just a bunch of boarded up buildings with empty parking lots - you'll see! Do you think that a Male Store Manager should yell and imtimidate a female employee behind closed doors?

Is that grounds for a law suit? Well I am looking into it! For all you ASM's and Store Managers - try to get a real job in management...

be prepared though, if you do get one the company that hires you will soon figure out that you were never really trained to be a manager - you were just a little person in a *** red vest that cannot be washed, running around everyday reading off the daily sales numbers and the previous days sales totals - believe me there is more to management than reading a bunch of numbers! You overpaid fools.

to Kitchen & Bath Designer - NOT #760253

your a retard if you really think that and thank god we do not have someone like you working for our company anymore

Do us a favor when you find a place that can offer us what lowes still offers please post it here! I want to get in line. This must include.

1. Health, Vision and dental insurance.

2. Stock options.

3. 401k

4. 3 paid weeks vacation

5. 4 paid floating holidays.

6. Flexible schedules.

7. SSEI

8. Employee discounts.

9. Paid NKBA classes and cert.

I could go on all day. My brother drives a truck. He gets paid... End of story. Nothing else. Nephew works at mcdonalds Gets paid thats it. Another nephew works at a grocery store He gets paid they offer insurance but he has to pay all. I started off understanding why people are upset but I just dont get it. So in the words of someone else here the door is at the front dont let it hit you where the good lord split you. I for one am thankful for a good base pay and the 50% of what I didnt make this year. Good luck to you.

to 20-20 fun #615125

Rock on, 20-20 fun! Lol

to 20-20 fun #866944

1. Health, Vision and dental insurance.

- Their coverage sucks and it is expensive. For retail, it OK.

2. Stock options.- You want to buy stock in a sinking ship?

3. 401k- It's just OK

3 paid weeks vacation- Fairly decent

5. 4 paid floating holidays.- That's cause Lowe's is closed only 2 days out of the whole year. 6. Flexible schedules.-- Hahahahaha!

Shut up and get back to work! 7. SSEI- The ever changing goal you will rarely meet. 8.

Employee discounts.- What a joke. Someone off the street can do better. 9. Paid NKBA classes and cert.- Hahaha!

You will never have time to take these. I've come to the opinion that many retail workers don't know what a good employer is.They are used to being treated like sh**.

Wildwood, Florida, United States #428896

:cry :( :x :sigh :upset :eek

Wildwood, Florida, United States #428894

This is the corporate version of converting from Capitalism to Socialism. This is what corporations are doing to survive this crappy economy.

Come on....Did any of you folks not see this comming?!? Just look at how many store got closed. And remember the class-action suit against the Flutuating Work Week/Chinese Overtime issue? Speaking of China....How about the lawsuit over the drywall with toxic vapors?

All of this stuff adds up people? The next thing that will happen is the Share-holders will want to be bought out, and the Lowes will sell-out to a private investment firm. Private Equity Groups are the "bottom-feeders" of the Corporate world that just "strip & flip" The same thing happened to the ServiceMaster Companys, and now their all in deep sh*t!

The "S.S. Lowes" is sinking....Man the lifeboats!!!!!

For more info go to WWW.GLASSDOOR.COM

Andrew Ferrell. This sounds like (A shrew Farewell)...hahaha

Well then, farewell shrew!!!

Lowe's has now lived by its name. It has gone low...

Ok Andrew, look at all the incentives lost over the years. The LCC scratchers, the department manager bonus, specialist bonus, the Thanksgiving check, 1 week less on employee 20% off, the loss of the coupon book to a single page of batteries, the set amount days without an accident bbq, the 10 years now 15 years for 4th week of vacation.

Next is your employee 10% card. Lowes is now looking to hire part timers so they dont have to cover the insurance cost. By by full timers, and why do the department managers have keys to the stores? Asms on the way out now.

I've seen my ASM's walking around in a dumbfounded look over the last three days.

It's not a 30% leaving, its a 30% termination. Watch who goes salary when the store managers come back from Vagas.

The other box

I agree that this move by Lowes will likely have a Circuit City type effect, Upper mgmt are protecting themselves, and since they make the decisions, it's an easy choice to screw the little guys instead of yourself.

At Home Depot, we have hammered hard the last couple of years on customer service, and it seems to have paid off. We've also made some painful cuts, including mgmt and home office "fat", just like Lowes, while trying to keep the "front line" strong.

Lowes seems to have the misguided idea that getting rid of higher paid, higher skilled people by attrition (as in taking away benefits hoping you'll quit) will result in profitability because cheap labor + technology = same sales for less overhead. I say this is wrong, and we are proving it at HD. Look at the stock prices. Think Lowes will take a jump by making that desperate last ditch "Circuit City " move? hmmmm

The most important thing for you Lowes specialists is to keep your cool. For one thing, if you get mad and quit, or get fired because you decided to give bad service or let the customers know how bad you just got screwed, Lowes wins, and you lose. If you are making $15 - 20 an hour right now (not counting spiffs/commissions), you are unlikely to find anything in that range in this economy.

At Home Depot our new hires, experienced or not, don't make what you do now, and there are lots of desperate people w/qualifications willing to work for $9-10 per hour. And don't believe you can hire in low and prove yourself to get a great raise. That NEVER happens anymore, at least not here, not now.

Best thing to do is keep on selling, lay low and live within your new means. While carefully looking for another job. It's an employer's market, so you have to protect yourself. And keep away from MY job ;)

To Just go home then:

Come on Cleatus it aint but a short walk.... Come on over you over paid worthless snake of an asm.

Your bonuses and job is next in line. Bring a monkey in to run 20-20 I couldnt agree more. The software is so easy a 5th grader can use it. Lets discuss the workings of a few things here shall we?

Warranty on a cabinet each vendor? How can you tell a veneer door from solid? How do you clean an acrylic counter to with a stain? What is the safe working temp of granite?

And why? What is the sealing put on sensa granite and how does it work? Will the stone breath? Will it build up radon gas?

What is the max length on a laminate counter top and why? How should you prepare a miter before installing it? How do you manually figure and sell a cabinet-counter top or install when the computers and 20-20 are down? What is a cabinet reveal?

Standard build up vs no build up? Lead times? not to mention the hundreds of cabinet options and features. Go on mr big bad asm tell me about it.

By the way not only am a 20 year vet of cabinet design I was in your shoes as an asm for 3 of my 12 years with lowes so I think I have the right to say step off. An ASM works very hard in your defense but you should know that us specialist have saved your bacon daily and most of us will see more issues in a day then you do in a week.

The door is at the front you got it. So you still wanna talk monkey?

WE WORK VERY HARD.. ALL YOU MOD'S STAND AROUND AND BS..

TEXT ON PHONES PAGE TO DO THIS AND DO THAT.. TRY TO PICK UP WOMEN COMING INTO STORE.. I SEE IT EVERYDAY WHY???? WE HAVE FAMILYS BILLS TO PAY..

CASHERS SATAND AROUND AND COMB HERE HAIR AND PUT THERE MAKEUP ON ON THE FLOOR 45MIN BRAKES.. RETURN WHAT EVER.. IT COULD BE FROM 10 YEARS AGO.. RETURNS NEVER CHECK THE BOXES OLD BLINDS IN BOX..

IT LOOKS LIKE A FOOD STAMP LINE EVERYDAY AND YOU WONDER WHY WE CANT MAKE BUDGET... LOWES LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE WITH OUT SALES SPECIALIST YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE DRIVE.. THE CSA DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SELL..

YOU MUST BE AN OUT GOING PERSON.... YOU NEED TO RETHINK THIS TO MANY CHEEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS GET IT TOGETHER..

I have worked at Lowes for about a year and can honestly say it's been the worst experience of my life.From the unprofessional management,politics,substandard pay,inferior products from China to the red monkey vest,what a nightmare!It amazes me how a company as big as this one is so screwed up,I predict 50 percent of the specialists will leave in 90 days or less.I was informed by a cashier that the incentives were gone and I received an email stating so,they really know how to deflate people.It's not hard to figure this out, remove achievers with higher incomes and replace with part time people with no benefits,todays version of the American Dream!

go get some carts