6.8K views

I got a deck estimate around the beginning of July. 4500$ was the estimate for a 10x15 deck with a small 3x5 landing with stairs near a door. I checked around, and there were many in the 2000-3000 range for install without materials cost added in but they were booked until September. I called lowes back and asked them if they could start immediately and come down a bit. They agreed they could start ASAP and do it for 4300 including materials and that I would be better protected because they were a large company blah blah blah

I was wary since I had trouble with getting a timely install of carpet done a month earlier by them, but I needed the deck done by August. The current deck was dangerous and we'd just bought the house and we want folks to be able to come to a house warming with out being in danger. So after promises that they were a different department and not connected to the carpet sales people, I paid $4300 cash (so they couldnt sell the finance to GE) and was promised a deck to be done in 4 days, starting the following Monday. (it was Thursday night when I paid)

Monday comes, no one shows up. I get a call late by the install sales person saying one of the install guys (there are only 2) had a baby that night and called in. Great, no problem, understandable. They show up Tuesday... tear down the deck and put concrete in, but they dont use the cardboard pilar tubes to be sure they make straight pillars. They just dig holes with an auger they RENTED AT HOME DEPOT and pour it straight into the ground and shape it at the top with some 2x4s nailed into a square shape. They secure the side supports to the house for the main deck (but not the landing) and then leave.

They dont come back for 24 hours, to let the concrete dry (couldnt they work on building the stairs or cutting deck planking and rails to size or something?) which is ok I guess. They come back and they attach the landing securely to the house because I complained at them about it. they also remove the temporary supports and attach permanent ones on all the corners on the newly dried concrete. This is done reasonably well, just slowly. They attach the underdeck cross beams and leave. Most of them are not nailed into the brackets, just sitting there. They worked maybe 4-5 hours.

Friday they come and attach the deck planking and build the stairs and landing. They split the stair stringer at every step because they didnt drill pilot holes for the screws. They seem to have learned from this mistake on the deck top though (though didnt replace the stringer, just left it split and installed) So they drilled pilot holes for the screws on the decking and installed it. They left about HALF of the pilot holes empty however and left for the day. AGAIN. this was the day they were supposed to be FINISHED. Which was already a day late. They had been there about 3 hours. They take the "Installation in progress by Lowes" sign out of the front yard and do not show up Saturday or Sunday.

Sunday Lowes calls to ask me how I enjoy my new deck!!! I told them I have no freaking idea because I dont have one yet. They get quiet and say, oh, they didnt tell us they weren't done, and they hang up on me!!! I call back the next Monday to be told they couldnt deal with the heat (it was 95-96 out, it had been hotter previously) so they had to leave. They were coming back that day to "finish" I also tole them they put the crown of the wood in the WRONG DIRECTION on the deck. its suppoed to curve down so water doesnt pool on the deck and so any warping pushes the screws INTO the deck not pulling up on them. So they basically wasted most of their day Friday doing *** WRONG anyway.

Needless to say, more problems, as Lowes didnt have hand rail materials I needed (they were supposed to have already delivered all materials needed) and that the installers had to drive to a store a town away to get new ones so they wouldnt be there. etc etc. And they've been awful since they were informed they werent doing their job right.

Point of the matter being PAY A LOCAL BUSINESS for your deck. Lowes has no idea who does what for them, nor do they provide the "managing" of the people they send to your house like they claim to do. Its week 2 and my deck still isnt done. Again, a promise of it will be completed at 2pm today. We'll see...

Comments

All $$$ are requied up front. You have zero protection. An ethical contactor requires payment as work is completed.

This is what happens when a know it all doesn’t know anything. Lol...

You just described every deck I’ve ever built and you literally displayed you know nothing about carpentry, the crowns go up so when they settle , they settle flat.

It’s pretty typical to not used a cardboard tube for concreting posts.

Crowns are actually supposed to face up on the beams. Not down.

So glad I saw your post. I was thinking about hiring them to build me a pool deck but now I have decided not to use them. Thanks so n much for sharing.

Once I saw the $2000-$3000 comment ...maybe you should have shopped around first if thats the case....but I am sure its not. Lol :grin

Kapolei, Hawaii, United States #673669

While I agree, don't have lowe's do an install, the poster is wrong on many of his complaints especially the part about which way a crown should face...

:( :( BUYER BEWARE !

IF YOU WANT A BEAUTIFUL DECK THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME, DO NOT GO TO LOWES IN LA PLATA MARYLAND !

THE RED HAIRED GUY IN MILLWORK, WILL SELL YOU NOTHING BUT LIES AS HE HANDS YOU A BROCHURE THAT SHOWS A BEAUTIFUL DECK BUILT WITH LOWES # 1 CHOICE LUMBER . MY DECK WAS ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD AND THE LUMBER STARTED TURNING BLACK. THEY BLAMED IT ON ARSENIC TREATED LUMBER AND THEY DO NOT USE ARSENIC TO TREAT THE LUMBER ANY MORE AND THE MASTER CARPENTER WHO INSTALLED THE DECK DID NOT EVEN KNOW THAT.

THEY SIA D THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM YOU WILL HAVE TO CONTACT OUR VENDOR AT LOWES AND WORK IT OUT WITH THEM. $ 10,000.00 DOLLARS FOR A NEW DECK AND THE BAD LUMBER IS MY PROBLEM.

BY THE WAY THE MASTER INSTALLER SAID THAT LOWES WOULD ONLY ALLOW HIM TO USE DECK NAILS, THE SAME NAILS THAT SPLIT AND CRACKED ALMOST EVERY PIECE OF LUMBER ON MY DECK.

THEY SHOW A PICTURE OF A BEAUTIFUL DECK IN THE BROCHURE BUILT WITH LOWE'S CHOICE # 1 LUMBER , WELL MY DECK LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THAT ! IT LOOKS LIKE A 3 YEAR OLD WAS BUILDING A DECK WITH TINKER TOYS.

THE MANAGER TOLD THE RED HAIRED GUY IN MILLWORKS TO FIX WHATEVER WAS WRONG WITH THE DECK AND NOW THEY ARE BACK PEDDLING SAYING THAT THE DECK BOARDS ARE SHRINKING OVERNIGHT BECAUSE THE DECK WAS NOT SEALED , REALLY IN THE WINTER WHO SEALS A DECK INSTALLED THE LAST WEEK IN OCTOBER AND THE COLD AND RAINY WEATHER HAD STARTED. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN THRO AWAY YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY AND YOU WANT A CRUMMY DECK BUILT WITH SUB PAR LUMBER THEN GO TO LOWES IN LA PLATA MARYLAND !

:( DO NOT GO TO LOWES IN LA PLATA MD TO HAVE A NEW DECK INSTALLED. FIRST PROBLEM, THE MAN IN CHARGE OF MILLWORK SALES ON DECK INSTALLS , WELL HE WILL TELL YOU WHATEVER YOU WANT TO HEAR, PROMISE YOU THE MOON AND WELL THE DECK YOU GET AND THE ONE THAT HE SHOWS YOU IN LOWES BROCHURE ARE TOW DIFFERENT DECKS.THE INSTALLER BUILDS HOMES, A MASTER CARPENTER SO HE SAYS AND MY DECK LOOKS LIKE A DISASTER.

THE CHOICE LUMBER AT LOWES IN LA PLATA WELL 2 WEEKS AFTER INSTALLATION IT STARTING TURNING BLACK. IT WAS FALL EARLY WINTER WHEN INSTALLED AND TOO COLD TO HAVE IT SEALED. THE DECK SPOKES WELL THE MAJORITY OF THEM BOWED WITHIN 2 WEEKS, HAD HUGE HOLES IN THEM AND NONE OF THE RAILINGS WERE EVEN AT THE CORNERS. THEY SAID AT FIRST THAT THE LUMBER WAS TURNING BLACK DUE TO THE ARSENIC IN IT, THIS COMING FROM A MASTER CARPENTER AND THE FACT IS ARSENIC HAS NOT BEEN THE TREATED CHEMICAL IN LUMBER FOR QUITE A WHILE.

THEY SAID THAT WAS MY PROBLEM TO GET IT STRAIGHT WITH THEIR SUPPLIER OF CHOICE LUMBER AS TO WHY THE LUMBER WAS BLACK WHEN IT WAS DELIVERED AND CONTINUES TO TURN BLACK.THE BOTTOM OF THE DECK IS GREAT THE TOP A DISASTER. THE DECK WILL NOT EVEN BE A YEAR OLD TILL THE END OF OCTOBER 2012.

THE WORST MISTAKE WE EVER MAD WAS HAVING A DECK INSTALLED BY LOWES IN LA PLATA, MD. FROM THE GUY IN MILLWORK WITH THE RED HAIR WHO WOULD NOT KNOW HOW TO TELL THE TRUTH EVEN IF HE WAS STANDING IN FRINT OF GOD TO THE MASTER INSTALLER OF DECKS. HE BUILDS HOMES AND DOES THE DECK INSTALLS I GUESS TO KEEP HIM OUT OF A ROCKING CHAIR, WELL LET ME TELL YOU IF HE CANNOT EVEN BUILD A DECK, AND KNOW HOW TO USE CORRECT LUMBER, IF THE LUMBER FROM LOWES WAS DEFECTIVE WHEN IT WAS DELIVERED , WHY WOULD HE USE IT FOR THE DECK, WHY WOULD HE HAVE NOT CALLED LOWES AND HAVE THEM SEND OVER FRESH GOOD CHOICE LUMBER.

THE MAN MAD POOR CHOICES, AND POOR JUDGEMENTS AND THIS MAN BUILDS HOMES. I GUESS HE FIGURES WHAT HIS BUYERS CAN'T SEE WON'T HURT HIM TILL MAYBE A FEW YEARS AFTER THERE IN THE HOME HE BUILT WITH THE SHABBY DECK.

I WOULD NOT WANT TO BUY A HOME FROM THIS OLD HIPPY.

BOTTOM LINE GO TO ANYWHERE FOR YOUR NEW DECK , DO YOUR HOME WORK BUT DO NOT GO TO LOWES IN LA PLATA , MD. THE ONLY THING YU CAN COUNT ON GETTING FROM THEM FOR YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY IS THE SHAFT !