Lowes denied Veteran wirh 8 Years service with valid discharge certificate , but no photo ID even with presenting photo drivers lic. I server during the Korean war There is other companies thar will honor your discharge without a photo ID.

and they carry the same thing Lowes does. Lowes is not honoring the Military as they say they are. What a JOKE.

The store I visited Was in Johnson City Tennessee.The sales person at the check out was very rude about it and if I did not like it to call the corporate office.and thats tough luck.

John G. Flag Pond Tn

Comments

jakob99

I retired in 1989 with pension and medical care. I was issued a DD Form 2 (Retired) . Blue, Laminated as they were in those days. Mine was issued on post at out-processing. Under expiration date it says INDEFINITE.

I have called JAG at Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox to confirm in 2 different places that my card is still good and does not have to be replaced or anything. My card is accepted at Ft. Campbell at the commissary / px/ shopette, etc.

Every time I go into the Gallatin Tennessee store they give me HECK. They even have a black and white copy of the i.d. cards they accept at each register. Albeit from a black and white fax machine or copier. They look at their page of card copies then look at my i.d.. They call person after person up front to look at it. The last time I was in the Lowes Gallatin there was a huge hassle like I was some criminal. They eventually gave the 10%.

On one past occasion the store manager told me the reason they really check the i.d. cards is that they have more money discounts at this store than at the Lowes nesr Ft. Campbell. I told him the soldiers at Ft. Campbell don't buy roofing, tractors, paint, etc. but retiree's do.

Made no sense whatso ever,

The Gallatin TN store is the ONLY Lowes store that causes this hassle.

Recently I went to Home Depot to buy a zero turn mower, instead of the local Lowes. Home Depot was glad to have my business and had absolutely no problem with my retired i.d.

3rdLevelRogue
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, United States #652646

Lowes cashier chiming in here. Corporate recently decided to only accept Military Cards with an I.D.

and it was no decision of the individual stores. It aggravates me quite a bit because my father is in the same boat you are in and he often will get me to buy him things to avoid the issue. Some cashiers will pass it through with mo hassle, but I beg you to please complain to corporate or take the complaint to the company Facebook or Twitter.

It isn't fair to deny some veterans who served, especially because it also implies that the cashiers are too *** to read a paper and.look at your driver's license. On a positive note, we will accept all forms on military holidays, which isn't really enough to me :sigh

Alexandria, Virginia, United States #652095

I've never had an issue showing my military ID at Lowes and receiving the discount. Associates have actually asked me if I'm military and have let me know about the 10% discount multiple times.

They have policies in place to make sure their gracious offer is not abused. You failed to follow their policy.

Bring your DD-214 on the three holidays already mentioned and get your discount. The bottom line, any retailer who offers a discount for service is doing it as a courtesy, do them the courtesy of following their established policies.

Live Oak, Florida, United States #642396

I ran into the same problem with Lowes not honoring their military discount. I'm a disabled Viet Nam veteran and I'm in the process of building a new home.

My intention was to buy lots from Lowes using their 10% discount. I was told that I must have a military ID or a VA card. I told them I did not have either, but I did have my DD214, my VA letter stating my disability and my Bronze star letter for Viet Nam service. They would not even look at my letters and just stated that I must have a VA card.

I told them that I have not used the VA in over 25 years and I have no need to, so why would I have a VA card? They refused my discount, Lowes does not care about veterans at all.

Aww you all sound like the old pple that dont get their senior discount at McDonalds.

In the course of a month I had spent several thousand dollars on materiels for a deck and only twice was I asked for proof of military service. I was never denied the 10% veterans discount.

commonsense2011

Lowe's offers a 10% off discount to Veterans, yes. This is a discount which they are NOT required to give...and many companies DO NOT OFFER DISCOUNTS unless you have a coupon or if you catch them during a sale..if you did not have proof that you were in the military, then why would they give you a discount? Just because you said you were?

ALL THREE OF MY LOCAL LOWES STORES HAVE AND CONTINUE TO HONOR OUR "MILITARY ID CARDS" WITHOUT QUESTION.

This is the policy from the lowes.com website:

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services(1) and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.(2)

This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family(3) of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

•1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.

•2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits

•3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

This is from the Lowes.com website:

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Or:

•3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

What a whiny little b****. They let you in the service?

Lemme guess... Front line infantry.

Just for your info, Lowe's is one of the only companies that offers a military discount all year long. HD definitely does not.

It does sound like you should have gotten the discount though. The cashier definitely didn't do the right thing.

You were tought to follow the rules while in the military. What makes you think you don't have to follow store policy?

nikalseyn

I suspect Lowe's is playing a game here. I am a veteran but I do not carry discharge paperwork around with me nor do I have any sort of "photo ID" proving I am a veteran.

I suppose I could show them my artificial leg or the scars on my shoulder but I doubt that would satisfy corporate requirements for a military discount.

Offering a "discount" for veterans is just a PR gambit and sounds good but in practice is BS. Your best bet is to just shop at Home Depot or Menards and forget about Lowe's and their attempts to cash in on the "we value your service" mantra.

#391975

at most stores they will give you a military discount the first time with discharge papers but the next time you come in you need to have gotten a photo ID sorry we cant overthrow corporate policies maybe thats why they told you to call corporate

Awka, Anambra, Nigeria #391967

First I would like to thank all veterans who gave a part of their life in service to our country. However this does not entitle you to expect a discount from retailers.

If they offer one that is great, but to complain about them because they don't doesn't become someone who takes pride in their service of our country. Man up and quit complaining.