9K views

I am currently a Lowes employee looking for a new job. Just found out yesterday that it is against company policy to leave the building to take a break.

If you think I am kidding you would be wrong. It is also against our company policy to chew gum or even just to carry a cell phone. The ironic thing is they REQUIRE all sales department to carry the company iPhone. One of Lowes biggest pushes is to get everyone to quit smoking and to help you quit smoking they will give you Nicorette.

Did you just catch what happened there? They are so concerned about your health that you cannot have any fresh air or get any relief from the stress of retail work and beleive it or not for some people that is smoking(I am not a smoker by the way). Now since you can't do that have a piece of gum no no wait sorry you can't do that either. SO everyone who is a stock holder sitting back thinking that Lowes would be a safe bet maybe just sit back for a moment and think about the employees that have to put up with idiocy and then maybe tell Lowes to pull their heads out of their ***!

Tell them to keep their *** stock so they will fire all of those idiots and maybe get back on the right track. Thanks for letting me vent!

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Oct 05, 2012.

Comments

Noelf, just heard today at Lowes, you are not aloud to drink water at your station or have water anywhere near you on the floor, don't know what fool made such a rule, meaning you have to go to the break room every half hour for a drink, this store is in Florida, daaaaaaaaaaaa.

This must be the store you worked in have work at Lowes here in central fl and we can go out if we take our vest off. as far as chewing gum our manager said just use class cell phone can be carried to us for our emergancies maybe you pissed people off the managers . I feel that our store we are one big happy family and at 75 with heart trouble all the guys and girls look out for this old man and i work in the electrical dept> Hope you find your dream job

Surprisingly, unlike California and other states alike which require employers to provide a meal break, rest breaks, or both, Mississippi and a few other states doesn’t have any code or statute regarding rest and meal breaks. So, Mississippi employers must follow only the federal rules.Federal law doesn’t give employees the right to time off to eat lunch (or another meal) or the right to take short breaks during the work day.

Employees must be paid for shorter breaks they are allowed to take during the day, but employers are not legally required to provide these breaks in the first place.In spite of all these, in states like Mississippi where employees have no right to meal and/or rest breaks, some employers may choose to provide these breaks as a matter of policy.In your first day of employment at Lowe’s they gave you the New Employee Orientation” – Employee Resource Guide. Supposing you still have it, review the Schedules and Timekeeping - Meals/Rest Brakes policy. Also, for more clarification on this policy contact Human Resources at your store.If through their policy you have the right at meals and/or rest breaks at predetermined times, and/or occasionally your meal/rest breaks may be delayed or shortened due to operating requirements, they should respect their promises or you may file a complaint. And/or your manager is not consistent in allowing these breaks in the same conditions for everyone, you may be discriminated.

So, you should file a complaint.Now even though you wouldn’t have any rights to these breaks through state and/or their policy, considering you continually worked for 6 hours, and this doesn’t happen frequently, your SM answer "You haven’t earned one. You waste too much time." Is unreasonable and unprofessional.When people are hungry and/or tired they aren’t productive neither collaborative with their colleagues.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States #1278346

so tell me if this is legal or not. I am part time unloading trucks for Lowe's store #0537 in hattiesburg ms.

i work from 4pm to whenever we get done, schedule says 4pm to 8pm. but we work till the truck is done and that could be anywhere from 8pm to 12pm depending on how big the truck is and how much other random things we have to do within the store. so around 8pm the store closes (because sunday). at 830ish pm i go to the door to go take a 15min break and my SM says i cant i ask why, he says we need to make progress on the truck.

so i say ok, turn around and go work on the truck again. now its 10:15, been working nonstop for 6 hours straight. no breaks, no lunch, not nothing but boxes. i asked him around 1020, why i havent been able to take a break.

and this is what he says. "You havent earned one. You waste too much time." now...im not too sure, but i think there is a policy or a law somewhere that says if you work 6 hours or more you GET an unpaid break.

anyone can confirm or deny this plz?? i feel something there is out of place.....

I currently work at Lowe's As far as the no cell phone and no chewing gum thing goes i've never heard of it. You can have your phone on you.

You just arent supposed to text or whatever unless your on a break or lunch. And noone ever told me i couldn't chew gum. I know that smoking is supposed to be prohibited on company grounds. But everyone goes to their car to smoke.

And some managers let you go to your car to take a 15 minute break.

Some want you to go to the break room. it just depends on the individual Manager.

to Josh #1134536

I work at lowes too my store we cant leave building except on lunch as well i think its pretty *** as no other job will try to fire you for taking a smoke break that i have had.

#1120767

Try becoming a minority , at our store 2244 they have different rules for people. As for smoking When I clean around the building I always find people smoking near the piles of ciggarett butts

As a Lowe's employee you are paid while you are on break. Therefore they can govern whether you are allowed to leave the building during that time.

When you take a lunch you are "off the clock" and can go wherever you want. And chewing gum while face to face with customers is rude and unprofessional.

Thousands of people are looking for jobs. Move along and let someone who appreciates employment take over.

to Anonymous #1374898

Exactly!

I work for lowes and we are allowed to leave work on breaks, chew gum, and have our phones on us. The only exception is if u are constantly late coming back from breaks they might suggest u stay while on breaks, or if u are chomping on gum like a cow chewing cud they would probably ask for u to not chew gum on the sales floor. And lastly the only time a person is told they can not have their phone on them is if they are constantly checking it or having it visible for customers to see.

Does anyone know the policy on carrying (and blasting) personal music after closing hours? Boom boxes on the floor, (or personal speakers) blaring loud music, people using company computer and speaker to play their music?

After hours when the night crew come it's terrible!

to Anonymous #1013970

after hrs its not a problem theres nothing against it in the policies. they even encourage ipods as long as you only have one ear piece in

Athens, Georgia, United States #929193

I'm told that Lowe's doesn't give employees any 15 minute breaks only lunch

to Anonymous #981705

Not true. They give a 15 min break every shift no matter how long an employee works, and an hour lunch if he/she works over a certain amount of hours.

Some shifts get a 15 min break AND a lunch. You heard wrong.

Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States #924953

I work for Lowe's and due to off the job injury I had to apply for temporary work place accommodation. They put me in self check out.

I immediately discovered that breaks are not allowed other than lunch. They don't think you need them but head cashiers and up take breaks. Just yesterday I was informed that I must clock out before leaving the floor for lunch even though I have to make it through the store, long walk, to put the "Red" in my locker before I can walk all the way back through the store to get out the door. It eats up 10 minutes of my lunchtime just for that.

They don't care about employees at all and the management treats employees anyway they want. Their so called open door policy is nothing more than a bad joke, they shut you down quickly and push you back out that open door. Every year they push everyone to take the "employee opinion survey ", yet there isn't any place to actually voice your so called "Anonymous" opinion. The treatment of employees continues to get worse.

I have now worked at two stores and one of their regional distribution centers. After nearly 9 years and countless harassment I have no choice but to look for a New job. They claim there are opportunities to advance or transfer but it's all a big fat lie.

They will hire off the street before hiring experienced people in-house since they can pay those people less. I could say so much more but instead I say..Don't even start with this heartless, uncaring company" .

to movingon #1007880

Start clocking out right before you walk out of the building. That's what I do

to movingon Bellingham, Washington, United States #1013972

My store is completely different. yeah you cant walk out with your vest but self check gets a break and head cashiers have whats called a working break meaning if anyone calls they have to respond. My husband has worked for lowes since 05 and transfered to a new store for a higher paying position and has since gotten a promotion i have worked here for under a year but have had nothing but a positive experience with managers and coworkers alike it might just be you store i love mine

to movingon #1120787

How horrible reading this. About 4 years ago, my bf who worked for Lowe's for 6 years here in Epping, NH.

He was basically forced forced to turn in his keys because he “didn’t play the game”. I helped him retrieve his yearly performance reports over 6 years with the company, and to say the least they were all Excellent. Such a sad case as he gave his all to this company. Then they blocked him from collecting unemployment.

However, there was one good thing that came from it after my helping him contact HR (although he was never offered to come back), is the store manager, all of a sudden, was moved to a different store and I know he was not the only employee that had to go through such a horrible experience. I had posted something similar to what I've just written on the Lowe's site and some of the responses I got were definitely from "brown noses" as I was told how wonderful it is to work for Lowe's....only if you're "one of the click", which my boyfriend refused to do. I also told human services that Lowe's allows "work place bullying". Anyway, some responses were "oh, you're bf is just a disgruntled employee".

Well, wouldn't you be I responded, but not the reason I contacted HR. Just hoped it would help others...which I've heard it's all still the same. When he started at Lowe's it was just opened and under the best management. When that person left it went down hill.

The store manager, at that time, his goals were to always make sure his employees were happy.

That's how you get the job done. End of my venting!!!

to movingon Chesapeake, Virginia, United States #1246840

I work at Lowes, 2 stores now. You can bust your *** for this company and the only thing they care about are $/numbers.

Push sales, push credit cards on people that really can't afford to have a *** credit card. Morning meetings back everything I have just said. Ran a business myself and I cared more about my employees then this company ever could. Worked at store 0420 for over a year and come years end if numbers were not where they should be people started getting written up.

DM's that do not do their jobs get no write up's, even when someone does their job.

You can do things for this place that never get recognition. Really only good thing about this company is their insurance.

West Jordan, Utah, United States #883722

i agree with how *** Lowes policy is. It's retail not a nice office building.

It's a joke that they get to tell me what i can and can't do on my break.

I work hard and deserve a break and what i choose to do on my break is my choice. Also looking for new job