1.7K views

Do NOT get an extended warranty for Lowe's lawnmower. We bought a Troy Bilt mower one year ago.

This year, it wouldn't start. Called Lowe's and they sent us to a service center 15 miles away - Northern Tool. They charged us $60 and said it was water in the tank and not covered under warranty. Took the mower home and it ran horribly.

Sounded like a car in constant rev, so we took it back and they tried again. Brought it home - same problem. Tried to mow the lawn anyway and it died any time there was any exertion on the engine - slight uphill grade, small clump of weeds, etc. Obviously, Northern Tool didn't know what they were doing.

Called Lowe's again, and their only solution is to have me take it to another dealer - minimum 20 miles away. They offered nothing in compensation for my $60 or my 90 miles in round trips for incompetent service. Also would not refund my cost of their useless warranty.

I live in Atlanta, not the boonies, and there are no "authorized" service centers within 20 miles. Warranty is useless to me.

Comments

Olathe, Kansas, United States #953349

the epp should have paid for your lawn mower to be picked up at your house BTW.

Olathe, Kansas, United States #953306

Your Fuel went bad, always run all fuel out of the mower. Fuel today has a thirty day shelf life.

Northern tool should have suggested replacing your carburetor cause I'm sure that your carb had build up blocking a jet. So technically your fuel was the problem and nothing was wrong with your mower. Thay will cause this a maintenance issue. If you are not going to drain or run all the fual out of your unit then atleast treat the fuel with something like startron additive.

Make sure it gets to the carb. Not even troybilt would warrant this issue.

Just bought a riding lawnmower at Lowe's. They said I had 7 days to decide if I wanted to buy the warranty $199.

That's a lot of money on top of the mower for me.

Should I or sholuldn't I? Any suggestions.

to J. R. Louisville, Kentucky, United States #658352

I hope you didn't do it! I have the extended warranty, my lawn tractor has been out for a month now!

I will never buy another mower or warranty from Lowes. In fact, dealing with this extended warranty has almost turned me against Lowes altogether.

Honest4sure is incorrect. The EPP warranty covers all parts and labor that are NOT covered by warranty to begin with as long as the unit is being repaired due to a warrantable ISSUE.

Yes, manufacturer warranties cover most things on repairs, but not all. The EPP also provides for free pick up and delivery on riding mowers. Also, any preventable maintenance parts (ie spark plugs, oil, filters, etc) that you purchase, they will reimburse 20% of that.

In fact, they even compensate you up to like $50 to have your yard mowed while your unit is in repair.

So no, your fuel related issue is not covered, but to say the extended protection is useless is a bit of a stretch.

:grin

If you wanted support, then why are you buying at a "big box store" to begin with? Warranties do not cover fuel related issues...

no matter what you buy. But at least if the unit came from a reputable dealer, it's likely they would have helped you for minimal cost on your part. Hope you learned: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY AT BIG BOX STORES.

(Sears, Homedepot, Lowes, TractorSupply, Walmart, etc. etc.)

IF YOU READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL YOU WILL SEE THAT ALL FUEL RELATED ISSUES ARE NON-WARRANTY....IF YOU PURCHASE AN EXT WARRANTY IT IS JUST THAT, AN EXTENSION OF THE MFG WARRANTY...YOU BEEF IS NOT WITH LOWES OR THE EXT WARRANTY YOUR BEEF IS WITH NORTHERN TOOL THEY DID NOT CLEAN YOUR CARB VERY WELL AND SHOULD OF CORRECTED THERE WORK....

Honest4Sure

Your mower has a 2 year manufacturer warranty. What you paid for was either year 3 or years 3&4.

The plan does ZERO for you under warranty.

You were had. Send an email directly to the Lowes department responsible - epp@lowes.com.

Well no they're not going to refund your warranty after you've already made a claim on it. Also know that manufacturer's warranties are intentionally vague as to avoid responsibility for replacement as much as possible. So I don't buy them.

Sears on the other hand has decent agreements on Craftsman stuff and they actually cover everything...they're a little pricier but worth it

I understand your frustration but if that particular problem isn't covered under the warranty there's not much they can do, I would advise that in the future ask for the warranty brochore, that way you can decide if it's worth buying based on what it's suppose to cover.

Next time get stablizer fluid so your gas stays fresh over the winter