Product: Lowes Kitchen Remodeling Clear all filters (27 of 27 reviews match)
filters
Seller:
State:
City:
Product:

Lowes in Richmond, Virginia - Extremely Disappointed

I am very disappointed in Lowe's. We went there to see about getting our kitchen remodeled. What started as a small thing ended up being $30,000 plus. It was suppose to be done in two weeks. Our project was started December 3, 2018 and is yet to be completed. We had to go to the store ourselves and pick up most of the supplies. We bought what they said was top of the line cabinets. Four doors had to be replaced as they came with flaws. Then the contractor was careless and did damage to cabinets, etc. He was confronted and lied that he didn't do it. and wait for his convenience between his private jobs. We finally have all the supplies and now have to wait for the contractor to come and finish. Along with that we have to take off work to meet him there. We have complained to the managers several times and they say they will look into it and get back to us and nothing happens. If we ever get our kitchen finished, I will not go back to Lowe's for anything.
h.kitchener

Those who go to any one of the big box stores like Lowe's for a remodeling project and allow a subcontractor hired by the store to do the work can often be rudely surprised at the problems encountered and the quality of the work itself as in your case. While 4 cabinet doors not being acceptable is not really unusual---the fault of the cabinet maker---the problems you experienced with the guy Lowe's used for the installation is more often than not a real problem.

I guess, now you know what not to do for the future. The best way to get this kind of work done is to hire, on your own a small contractor not affiliated with a big box store who will work with you on designing what you want done and then helping you pick out the cabinets, etc. from places he has dealt with and knows best. To find a good contractor is the trick and for this you need to talk to everyone you can or know for a recommendation.

Looking on the internet for someone is a hit and miss prospect and could end up even worse than having Lowe's, etc. do the project. Never trust reviews or recommendations from any site on the internet, period. Talk to people who have had similar projects done in the past for people who can and will do quality work.

They are out there, the trick is to find them.

Good luck. As for your current problem with Lowe's, I hope you haven't paid them in total for the project but held back monies until completion, etc.

Lowes - Stay away

1.1
We had a complete kitchen remodel gutting everything to the studs, electrical and plumbing with a cost close to $40,000. Lowe's was very nice planning it out. Down fall is you need to pay up front the full cost before they start, this was a big mistake. It made sense at the time because I figured they were a large company which would back everything, this was mistake #2. You must purchase everything through them or they advise you it may slow down the process, I did, mistake #3. There was no finish date on the contract, mistake #4. Work started with one of their general contractors which I could find no reviews about, mistake #5. Numerous problems started happening from the time they started. Cabinets were missing molding and some damaged to general material damaged. Repairs were made to the cabinets which now make them look like seconds. Electrical was good. Originally plumbing changes were not up to code and were eventually changed after I complained. The floor was a vinyl plank floor which was a disaster and is still. Lowe's eventually compensated me for a quarter of the cost of the floor only. I agreed to this because legal venues would have only cost me more. Lowe's eventually turned there back on me after my complaints from their main office out of state. I would Stay AWAY from them and look to find a local contractor with good references. Don't do the mistakes I made.
Damaged or defective

Lowes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Kitchen remodel

Started our remodel in January, Still not done. I have finished the caulking and the touch up paint where the contractor damaged the kitchen ceiling. When they first came to our house super nice, but once you pay good luck!! They demo our kitchen then came to install our new cabinets with drywall missing behind the cabinets and in the ceiling. I had to stop the install myself and insist on the drywall being repaired before the new cabinets be installed. I asked the contractor if he would have done this to his and house and he said no. I asked why he was with my house and he did not have an answer. First of many problems. Cabinet doors damaged buy the contractors, and no return calls or email from Lowes to our questions without me going to the store. In our quote we paid for "cleaners" to come and clean up after Lowes left. Still waiting on them to show, I cleaned myself and asked for a refund for that charge. No answer and my email are not answered. I went to the store and spoke to the manager, still wanting on an answer. The tile installer is the project manager dad. He damaged the ceiling, scraped on the paint done to the drywall. He did come and spray the texture on but I gave on waiting for him or someone to come and repaint the ceiling. We are supposed to have soft close doors and drawers but several are not working correctly. When the cabinet man came he said nothing is wrong. I do NOT recommend using Lowes.
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Lowes in Mooresville, Indiana - Horrible Service

2.5
Lowes - Horrible Service
Started kitchen remodel project with Lowes in Mooresville and received horrible service. Never received calls back without calling multiple times. Job was never finished and we had to finish it on our own. Drywall was gouged, trim work not completed, door knobs not completely installed and multiple unnecessary screw holes found in the drywall that had to be fixed. Multiple attempts were made to have the installers fix these issues and nobody made a return visit. Lowes wanted to come back to my house to take photos of "their finished project" and we refused to let them come back out to take photos of the work that we had to finish even though we paid them to do it! Beware! Take your business elsewhere!
Price reduction
Tags
  • Managment Team

Lowes in Stafford Township, New Jersey - Kitchen remodel

4.5
Our “big buck” project began on January 4th. , 2018. Gutted kitchen. A month later the floor ( with radiant heat) was installed terribly. Cabinets installed before floor was grouted. Backsplash installed by same people who did floor ! A month later, Lowe’s sent someone to remove backsplash and install new Sheetrock. Different tile people redid the backsplash professionally. Complained to Lowe’s about uneven , shoddy floor . They sent a rep to inspect, said nothing could be done because of the radiant heat ! Lowe’s didn’t move on this at all until I filed a complaint with the BBB. Now they want to make things “right” ! Their idea of right is a refund of $500. It’s now October, 2018 and we’re still going back and forth. I think an attorney in the near future is called for.

This case is closed. Lowe’s agreed to a settlement.

Although it wasn’t what we had asked for, it was satisfactory. We learned a lesson the hard way, unfortunately.

Lowes Kitchen Remodeling
Cons
  • Shoddy work by subcontractors
Bad quality

Lowes - Happy kitchen remodeled
Total remodeling of the kitchen. Bought all appliances and cabinets from lowes. Knocked down a wall. Now open concept kitchen. Very happy. Lowes had very good contractors that stayed for the entire job. Lowes employees, Elizabeth and Adrian were very nice to work with
Good quality
Resolved

Resolved: Lowes in Cincinnati, Ohio - Shoddy Work Created Fire Hazard. Won't Complete Remodel

Contracted for kitchen remodel. Lowes abandoned the contract and remodel when mistakes were discovered and repairs needed. Contacted Lowes President, Lowes Executive Customer Service, Local Building Inspector, BBB, and Ohio State Attorney General. VERBALLY, Lowes admitted mistakes. In writing, Lowes Central Production Dept is closing the case with no repairs to unsafe electrical. They have defaulted on contract by refusing to complete remodel, fix fire hazard, did not deliver one cabinet or install, etc.

Any updates on the situation? We have similar issues where they delivered cream and brown countertops when we picked grey and white and are refusing to replace it, not to mention the 15 other numerous issues that have gone on with mis-measurements of cabinets and nickel and diming is for things they cannot provide that we have already paid for...

Lowe's doesn't do remodels. They contract it out to local contractors.

You will actually need to sue the contractor.

Lowe's can and will weasel out of any and all liability for the work that has been done. Your attorney will figure that out pretty quickly.

@Anonymous

Thank you, you're so right. I am now working with attorneys...

h.kitchener

Contact an attorney and sue them. That's the only thing they will take seriously.

@h.kitchener

Thank you. Working on that with advice from 2 firms.

View more comments (4)
Damaged or defective

Lowes in Boston, Massachusetts - Horrible service

Went to Lowe's in Plainville, Ma and designed remodeled kitchen. They sent out someone to measure twice. Ordered cabinets in July, supposed to be completed by Oct. Kept coming up with excuses after Oct for not receiving - when finally arrived had to be sent back - some cabinets 3 or four times before correct. When installed they had measured wrong and blamed it on us. Finally got them all installed in April. Had to go through 6+ months without kitchen(holidays), since we had gutted it for Oct. delivery. contacted corporate headquarters, they would look into it - (we had paid up front $30,000 and signed contract in July that it would go to arbitration if need be.) Contacted No. Caroline better business bureau - they couldn't get anywhere with Lowe's either. Our only option was to sue - instead we just got someone else to complete the kitchen and continue to tell everyone we know what a lousy company Lowe's is. It was an expensive and nerve-wracking experience but will never set foot in a Lowe's again.
TroubledGiantClam852

Let Lowe’s feel the pain on at a store level call Lowe's corporate Customer Care...at 1 800 445-6937. It will force the store manager to fill out report and also call you with in 24 hrs. Let Lowe’s corporate feel you pain and poor service Fill out complaint with the state, Attorney General's Office and Consumer Complaint and Consumer-Affairs Copy the same answer to Attorney General's Office | Consumer Complaint Massachusetts Attorney General's Office | Consumer Complaint https://www.mass.gov/how-to/file-a-consumer-complaint https://cedac.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Office-of-Consumer-Affairs-Guide-to-Home-Improvement-Contractors.pdf

h.kitchener

Homeowners go to these big box stores all the time and do what you did---contract with them to purchase and have installed cabinets, etc. The problem is that you are never assured the people at Lowe's know what they are doing or whether their measurements are accurate.

Then, Lowe's subcontracts with who-knows-who to actually install the cabinets. When things go wrong, you have to complain to Lowe's and go thru many different people in order to try and fix the problem(s).

Best to avoid big box stores and go directly to a small cabinet retailer who has their own installers or find a local building contractor who does this kind of work. And, of course never pay in full before work starts and always hold back at least 50% of the cost until the work is completed to your satisfaction.

View more comments (1)

Don't use Lowes Home Improvement Services

We thought going with Lowes would make our kitchen renovation a dream… it was a total nightmare. My wife and I own 5 properties and I’ve had hundreds of thousands of dollars of work done over the years. However my regular contractor moved away & I didn’t know who to call to have our kitchen renovated. I’ve never used a big box store & after this experience I will never use Lowes again. I have to say that Mike Leonard (designer) and Russel Fitzgibbons (sales) were both knowledgeable & very helpful until the end. The reason we went with a big box store is we were sold a lie. We were told that by having Lowes do everything we’d save sales tax on everything (cabinets/appliances which was true) & that all the contractors who came to our house would be licensed, insured and background checked (not true we had the most incompetent, unlicensed people, uninsured workers that showed up to do work). Yes the subcontractor for Lowes has insurance and is licensed, but then to save money they get whomever they can to do the work & they do it as fast as they can. We had $60K+ renovation (down to the studs) and permits weren’t obtained, floors weren’t leveled, walls weren’t prepped, cabinets were literally thrown up without measuring etc. Less than halfway through the project we couldn’t take it any more. The subcontractor for Lowes put in a hood vent, cut *** in the roof & that night rain water poured into the attic! When I contacted the contractor they wanted to just caulk it & they weren’t sure if it was their fault! Our house was a disaster area & we didn’t know where to turn, but things were so bad, we would rather take our chances with the unknown than with Lowes. I had kept a log of the issues with Homerun Handyman who Lowes hired & sent this over to Lowes Corporate, thinking they would be helpful and understanding. The reaction from corporate Lowes was appalling! After Shanjae from Lowes Corporate read the issues that we had with the sub-contractors poor workmanship and “shaking us down” for more money (outside of the Lowes contract) we felt they would be as upset as we were. Corporate wasn’t upset at all… in fact they told us we waited too long to contact them & they never had an issue with this contractor before (which wasn’t true). As it turned out Homerun Handyman’s electrician told us of a major issue Lowes/Homerun Handman had with another police office and a kitchen remodel. At one point Lowes Corporate even contemplated calling the police on us when we asked to have their subcontractors tools picked up… they felt we were refusing to give back the tools? The bottom line: Lowes in my opinion & the opinion of contractors I’ve talked with hire contractors that are willing to work for lower rates. As a result, the consumer suffers from rushed jobs and inexperienced or inept contractors. Don’t think you are going to save money… you won’t. What ever contract you negotiate, it’s going to cost you more. Don’t think that you are going to be covered by Lowes Corporate for anything that goes wrong… when things went wrong with our job… they didn’t care and didn’t help.

We just cancelled our kitchen remodel With Lowe’s, and are back to square one. The kitchen designer has to be one of the most disorganized people I’ve ever met, and was either late or completely missed every meeting.

When we were blown off for the last time all they cared about was getting their fee for measuring for cabinets.

I told them that their disorganization and lack of professionalism was why they lost the job so not to hold their breath waiting to be paid. After reading these other comments, we seem to have dodged a bullet.

Update: We ordered and paid in full for custom kitchen cabinets from Lowe's 294 days (OVER 9 MONTHS!!!) ago and so far, it has cost us more than $10,000 beyond what we agreed to pay. There has been so many problems it's not even funny.

The craftsmanship has been horrid, 4 of the cabinets needed replaced due to the installers. They've also managed to break 2 brand new appliances, run over my mailbox and STOLE STUFF FROM MY TOOLBOX (Yes, I have video footage).

Me too, my whole living room downstairs, could have been flooded during the night because of non licensed plumber booking up our water line from refrigerator to waterline in the line above living area below. Contractor fired.

Still 180 days later, Avery small kitchen, and 25k paid feb 18 to Roanoke, va, yes I’ve contacted about 4 different agents at corporate in Indianapolis so many times. It’s a joke. My countertop still not in, tricked by sales person putting in a sink that looks like it came out of trailer with the 3k quartz countertop. It still hasn’t been resolved.

I had to pay a professional plumber to fix the wrong plumbing with refrigerator water line. I’m waiting one more week. Before looking for alternative measures to rectify this horrible remodel. Seems from all I’ve read, that I’m not the only person to be fooled by Lowe’s.

All problems also documented since day one.

I hope this will help anyone in the future from making the same mistakes I have. Best of luck to everyone.

We wish we had seen this before we purchased from Lowe's. Our experience so far has been nothing short of HORRIBLE.

We ordered and paid in full for custom kitchen cabinets from Lowe's 180 days ago. They still aren't done.

Installers have ruined cabinets that needed re-ordered, broken an appliance in the process and left our house a disaster. From the Lowe's side, they drop the ball at every opportunity and will sell you on a process that you won't get.See photos and read my Lowe's kitchen cabinet review: https://myloweskitchencabinets.com/

View more comments (3)
Review
#1198404 Review #1198404 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Work Experience or Job Application
$20000

Contact Lowes Customer Service

Mailing Address:
Lowe's Customer Care (CON8)
P.O. Box 1111
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28656
United States
Phone:
(800) 445-6937
All Lowes Contacts

Lowes Reviews

Lowes reviews

Lowes is only interested in your wallet

2.5
Went with Lowe's as contractors are difficult to locate in our area unless one has a very big money project. I believed that Lowe's stood behind its work as they are a national corporation with a reputation to protect. Kitchen designer was awesome. I went into the project just looking to replace countertops in the kitchen and two bathrooms and ended up having the entire kitchen remodeled and expanded and new stools and vanities in both bathrooms. This was not a low end remodel- we spent well over 25k just at Lowes with several things bought elsewhere. Things began badly with terrible communication from the Project Coordinator that resulted in having our old kitchen torn out with a projected date of return to finish five weeks away. Fortunately, the granite was installed sooner than expected but the trouble was just beginning. Incredibly long story short, kitchen was paid for 100% in February. Work began March 19th and as of June 18th there's no end in sight. This has been the worst experience of my life and has nearly ruined my marriage as my husband (who works 60 hours a week) spends all of his time off repairing the damage done by the first contractor (who I had to fire due to being insulted, my home and belongings damaged, poor workmanship, and incredibly unprofessional behavior from not only his employees but also the owner). We haven't had sinks in the bathrooms since April and cannot entertain in our home as the dining room is filled with kitchen materials. Getting corporate involved actually made things WORSE. Although usually executive level customer service is exceptional- the best of the best - it's obvious that the rep assigned to the project couldn't care less. He just wants to move the file into the "done " box. Lowes not only doesn't stand behind its work, it will find every possible excuse to deny responsibility. I have more than 5k worth of cracked granite (turns out that it was "quarry fill" - a shady practice in which a cracked granite slab is turned into a sellable one with cheap glue that dissolves when the countertop is cleaned), cabinets that are ruined from improper installation, a tile floor that was in near perfect condition that needs to be replaced, and much more. Every contractor who has been in the house has been shocked by the terrible workmanship and angered because "this kind of thing makes all contractors look bad". I was told the subcontractor has never been a problem (untrue), everyone involved with the granite is more concerned about throwing the next company under the bus than in seeing the customer treated well, and if I have the cabinets installed in July it will be a miracle. I believe I may have to hire an attorney - although Lowes is technically fulfilling the contract, if agonizingly slowly. The kitchen designer said that she has never seen so many things go wrong on one job or a project take so long. Or at least she did before she was told she was off the project (meaning: don't provide service to this customer any longer unless she opens her wallet again). If someone had told me this would happen, I would not have believed it. And Lowes absolutely refuses to apologize or to tell me that they will make things right. I have tried to be patient and understanding, but these people would try the patience of Job. In the past year we have spent almost 60k at Lowes and planned to have vinyl siding installed and more work done but Lowes will never get another penny from us. When I told the executive customer service representative this, he nearly came out and said, "yeah, whatever ". I have never seen anything like this before. No one cares. Customers are only vehicles for their wallets. They take 100% payment up front and provide service at their leisure. And the customer is always wrong.

When you have work done by a contractor through Lowes or Home Depot you never know who will be working on your home. They hire the lowest price contractors they can find and then mark up their charges.

You are better off going through the work of locating your own contractor.

That way you can check references and know exactly who will be working in your home. You will often end up paying less as well as you don't pay the stores mark up on the contractors labor.

This complaint is a long chapter in a book.

MysteriousCeskyFousek
@Anonymous

The book being Lowes terrible track record or my complaint?

MysteriousCeskyFousek
@Anonymous

Your snarky comment would carry more weight if you attached a name to it. Anonymous, you are very busy attacking anyone who files a complaint against Lowes. One could be forgiven for wondering if you are employed by the company.

@MysteriousCeskyFousek

I do not reply to all complaints against Lowes.I do not work at Lowes or at any DIY store.I work in an entirely different industry.

View more comments (4)
Lowes Kitchen Remodeling
Cons
  • Coordination of project
  • Unbelievably poor service
  • Very frustrated and done with lowes