Verified Reviewer

5/24/21

To: Lowes

It is with disappointment that I write this letter. This may be a long letter filled with what you may think is minutia; however, I believe it will detail the many egregious mistakes that have led to my frustration.

I attempted to start a kitchen remodel project on Oct 31, 2020 at the Lowes store in my home town of Port Charlotte Fl.

I waited for a design for three weeks. I was told on multiple occasions that Hailey was working on the project. I was patient as I know I was not her only customer. During this time an installer came to my house to measure.

I informed Hailey that his measurements for my ceiling height were incorrect. She built a plan around his measurements and asked me to come in to approve and make payment. After three weeks, with incorrect info and little contact, I was planning to go to another store, the Orange one or a local cabinet company.

A friend, who works at the Lowes in Venice FL, was hoping to retain me as a Lowes customer. I drove 45 mins to the Venice store and sat with Brian for approx.

2 hours, who produced a design that I was happy, on Nov 22. I took the design and supplies list home. Within a week the installer came to measure. He and I decided to make one change to this size of the cabinet above my refrigerator, from a 24x24 cabinet to a 24x12.

I asked Brian to make the change. On Dec 7, 2020, I went to the store, in Venice, to pay for the cabinets. Both Brian and I were short on time. He printed up the bill of sale, we went up to the service desk for me to make payment, I signed the paperwork and made payment.

(I was not given a new rendering of the plan) As it was only 15 days later, I believe it was a reasonable expectation that the plan would have remained unchanged, except for the change in the one cabinet.

The cabinets arrived and install began on Mar 2, 2021. I was so excited. The demo went well. Install dayI noticed immediately that the cabinet above my refrigerator was a 12x12, not 24x12.

I phoned Brian immediately, who informed me that he would talk to his supervisor. At this time, I had to go into work. When I came home and saw my cabinets I was thrilled, until I saw that two of the lower cabinets were not what I expected. I was expecting, per the original plan, a cabinet with one top drawer and two doors.

What was installed was an 18-inch cabinet with four drawers and a small cabinet beside it. I spoke with Brain on Mar 4th. He would again talk to his store manager.

I was told that as the cabinets had been installed, I was not able to return them and the cost to replace them would be $1500. I told Brian that this was unacceptable and was told that I needed to speak with Andrew, at the corporate office.

(Brian told me that he was doing a side construction job and Would possibly be willing to take the cabinets off my hands.) I left messages for Andrew on Mar 4,5,8 and 9. With no communications from Andrew, I called the Venice store and spoke with Neville on the 11th, who promised to call me the same or next day. As that did not happen, on march 13th I drove to the Venice store, again 45 mins away, to speak with Adam (assistant manage). I was told Brian states I asked him to make multiple changes to the plans and had notes in the computer of our conversations.

I have asked for and was never provided copies of said notes. Brian states that he would not have arbitrarily made the changes and I assured Adam that would not have asked for a second cabinet of 4 drawers, leaving me with no space for large pots.

Adam gave me the names of two woman who would be helping me at the corporate office. After not being able to reach either of them, I spoke with a very helpful man, Todd, on Mar 15 and 16. He informed me that Andrew no longer worked with the company, that he had been fired that day.

He gave me Danielles number, who was very apologetic and helpful. I was told that the price to replace cabinets would be $900. This was after she talked with the store, was told that I had changed my mind on the cabinets, with no input from me. I let her know that I am not unreasonable, and would be willing to pay for the labor to replace the cabinets as I had not gone over the bill of sale, item by item, when paying and was not able to be home during the entire install.

We agreed that I would pay the $400 labor fees and she would expedite the order of the new cabinets.

She would email Adam on Mar 19 to have him create an order for cabinets. On Mar 24, (five days later) I initiated a call to Danielle, informing her that I had not heard from Adam. While on the call, she contacted Adam who reports he didnt see the email. Argh!

I was told to call the store to pay for the labor costs, which I did. Trying to make the payment was another mess which I wont bore you with the details, suffice to say that it was another exercise in frustration.

I received an email from Danielle informing me that my expedited cabinets will be shipped to the Venice store on May 15. (That is almost two months.) I expect delays due to the increase in building in FL and across the country. So I am, somewhat patiently, waiting.

At this point I think I am almost home, but wait, theres more. After four weeks, my granite is ready to be installed and the company agreed to install one of the countertops so that I could at least have a sink. I purchased my 33-inch sink from Lowes after the rendering of the initial plans on approx. Nov 22.

When the granite company attempted to install the counter, the sink was too large. I thought, how could my carpenter and I order a sink too large for the cabinet. It was then that I realized that the sink cabinet had been changed from the original plan of 36 inches to 30. Again, Argh!

I contacted Lowes at this time and was told I could not return the sink as it past the allowed time for returns.

I didnt contact Lowes to discuss this change of the cabinet, as I knew it would be another debacle and the granite company should have caught the discrepancies. I had to purchase another, smaller sink and wait another two weeks for my counter and sink. NO fun doing dishes in my bathtub for 6 weeks. As I wait for my correct cabinets to be delivered and installed, I am fielding calls from the granite company whod like to finish the job and receive final payment.

I am unable to have may backsplash installed. As of this writing, I have yet to receive the cabinets. My installer informed that he attempted to have Lowes deliver the cabinets to my home to save on the $400 fees I agreed to pay. The idea was dismissed.

Wow, Lowes.

So.. just when I get ready to send this letter out, another mistake was made. It is now June 3 and the installer informed me that the lower cabinets are the wrong color. They were supposed to be grey as well as two fillers; all pieces were sent in white.

I was told when I called customer service that Danielle has been promoted to a supervisory role and I now have to speak with someone new. Bethany was very helpful; however, I have lost all confidence that this project will be done any time soon, due to what I see as incompetence on Lowes employees.

I take solace in the fact that my kitchen will be beautiful when complete and that I will never go into a Lowes store again.

Sadly,

Alicia Uselmann

User's recommendation: use a local company.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Location: 1745 Tamiami Trail South, Venice, FL 34293