Milwaukee, Wisconsin
14.1K views

Lowes flooring installation...BEWARE

Our family decided to install tile flooring in the section of our house that is built on concrete slab. We went to our local Lowes store and looked at flooring. We really liked the Rialto White 12x12 tile. Not knowing how to install tile , we asked Lowes to send one of their contractors out to measure our floor and give us an estimate. There was a $35.00 non-refundable estimate fee, that would be rolled into the job if we signed with Lowes. We were told that for installation, Lowes charges $5.97 per square foot. On Tuesday July 24, the measurer and installer, Walt H. came to measure. He was friendly and told us he was second generation in his company. This gave us confidence in his expertise. The next Thursday, 7-26 we went to the store to collect some samples of the tile, and while there were handed the estimate.

The amount of tile indicated as needed on the form was 805 square feet for tile, amounting to $1,762.95 for the tile.. The amount for the installation was $5.97 x 805, or $4,805.85. There were incedentals, like thinset and grout. The total was $6,807.64.

This estimate puzzled me greatly. The reason was that my husband and son measured the amount of flooring that we had, and the total they came up with was 663 square feet (another company had measured our floor and reported it was 680 square feet, at least in the ballpark). This was supposed to be an experienced professional doing the measuring, but the numbers were greatly different. I know that there is a percentage added to the amount of tile you get for waste. But adding the 10% extra for waste would only bring the total of tile needed to 725 square feet. We would not expect to purchase more that that with experienced, professional installers on the job. So they expected us to purchase 80 square feet we did not need. I know we could return this, but it would be ***, and inconvienient.

Then there is the issue that in the estimate we got it stated that we would be charged the installation on the 805 square feet on the form, not the actual 663 square feet being installed. We were expected to pay to install phantom flooring.

So Lowes wanted us to buy a large amount of product we did not need, and then pay an installation fee on it, whether or not we needed it. This seems to be a nice arrangement. For the business. We would have paid around $1,000.00 more for the job than needed.

Even adding in a few square feet if we measured poorly, this seems to be padding the charge excessivly. When we first called Lowes and spoke to Jeff in flooring, he said they figure the footage according to the measurements they are given. So their measurements must have been close to that. When I asked why we were being charged for 805 square feet of installation, he said the installers are paid for every square foot of product that goes out the door (not the amount of square footage to be installed) ! I then Called Walt H who did the measurement. I asked why the square footage was so high, and told him what our figures were. He said his measurements were close to ours, and that we should call Lowes again, perhaps have a remeasure and have someone else install it, and quickly ended the call. I called Lowes again, and was told I should call the central office. I spoke to a Olivia, who took my complaint. Someone from the central office said the manager of the store would call me.The manager of the Lowes, Kim called me, and I spoke to her and told her the situation. She said she would look into it. I said I felt cheated, like someone tried to take advantage of us. Later, Mike from flooring called to ask if we would be using their installation service. I explained the situation to him, said I had no longer any trust in the integrity of Lowes, and would also try to get the tile elsewhere. I stated that there was something wrong with this, and I would be putting this information into a review to warn others. I also called the FTC. I also let the BBB know.

I also want my $ 35.00 measurement and estimate fee returned. I have no problem paying a fee when I know about it, but I do not like paying someone to try to rip me off. I will pursue this. The final thought is that we feel so insulted that someone in this process considered us so *** and gullible that they could blatantly inflate the charges on our job. Do we look that ignorant? Or do they just do this to all their customers? Makes you think.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lowes Installation.

Comments

WHAT IS THE BATHROOM POLICY AT LOWES?

I know the feeling; I just posted my tile complaint

Larry Taylor
Home Improvement Expert
If you need any assistance, you may try to reach out to the Lowe’s top management via the Lowe’s Contacts tab on the Pissed Consumer website. You may also try to share your experience with other Lowe’s customers by posting comments via social media networks to get a faster response from the company.

YOU SHOULDN'T LET PEOPLE RIP YOU OFF! DON'T LET PEOPLE PUSH YOU AROUND!

STAND UP AND HOLD YOUR GROUND! THEIR HAND'S IN YOUR POCKET, CALLING YOU FRIEND, SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUT THEM IN THEIR PLACE.

FIGHT BACK! LET THEM KNOW THEY CAIN'T GET AWAY, EVERYONE HAS THEIR DAY!

Nah, these people just want it as low as possible with everyone doing the work rather than themselves. It's called laziness!! Customers be lazy lol

#1661929

I don’t get it. If you got multiple bids from different companies, and someone else came in at a lower price than Lowe’s.

Then why mess around with Lowe’s? Wouldn’t you just say no thanks Lowe’s and go with another company? I suspect, Even with the sq. ft.

overage that Lowe’s said it needed, their overall price for the whole job was the lowest bid you received. It sounds like you are just angry because, In your effort to get the price even lower, Lowe’s didn’t capitulate. You don’t have a valid complaint. You knew there was a $35 non-refundable estimation fee, they gave you the total cost for them to install it.

There is no law setting what amount of overage that should be calculated.

Some will require 10%, others require 20%. Bottom line is ...If you don’t like thier terms then don’t have to use them, and in turn they don’t have to negotiate.

#1661911

Well, to be honest, That is a great price for the job.... You get a great amount for the membrane by linear ft.

There will always be leftover. This isn't a Magic Kingdom world for homeowners. You do not seem like a homeowner who communicates well with a contractor..... From my 23 years experience, I would've asked you, Well, if you are battling me, why don't you do it your *** self....

Apparently you don't need someone to do your job mr know it all.... and the extra can be charged for assurance pay....... Whatever you do for a living, stick with it, because a skin digger like you would just end up suing yourself!

"Get Counciling please..... People like you can *** someone's day up 75 of 100%.

Lowes installed my kitchen tile. It is lose , grout is disseningrating and no recourse from Lowes.

The Lowes installer also stole credit cards and jewelry. Called poloce I have proof of theft.

Good luck with your efforts. Lowe’s is great at putting up roadblocks to any refunds.

We had a bad experience with our tile floor installation as well.

They gave us a $100 Lowe’s gift card as a concession. What a joke!

I had an extra $495.00 extra furniture charge added to my carpet bill. My home is an open floor plan and they keep insisting my dining room and living room is one room.

I have a couch, 2 chairs, an ottoman, 2 end tables, a coffee table and a tv stand in the living room and a dining table and 6 chairs in the dining room. That's it. Oh and their measurements and previous carpet companies are different by 105 square feet, my husband is an *** refuses to say anything to anyone.

SMH. I am done with Lowes.

Of course companies like that will ALWAYS try to outweigh the "average consumer" for the fact that when people are willing to pay a convenience price, they tend to stack all of these unnecessary fees and over charge on installation. When you have a big name, heads get big too.

I mean have you seen the prices for their cleaning products? Dish soap $4.99?! I can go to the dollar store and get the same brand for $1.00. WAY too much markup.

Even in my tradesman status, I charge $4.30/sq ft($3,440.00) to install tile for 800sq not to include supplies. $3.62/sq ft for laminate or hardwood. No nonsense "Estimate Fee" either, I personally think that's a dumb fee to have.

People that call you and agree for you to see what to do, there's no way on earth to charge my clients such a stupid fee. Find a good tradesman(Handyman) that knows what they are doing and have done some good work and avoid corporate level companies to handle your work.

I have been in flooring for over 30 years and work for Lowe's for 16 of them years and they do pay installer probably half or less of the total installation job... it is better to find a good seasoned installer to do your jobs on the side however you run the risk of that installer not guaranteeing their work properly and may disappear if you try to reach them due to a problem.

to The floor man #1681130

So you are the reason people are always pissed off? You do a *** job and Lowe's gets blamed for you're laziness?

You realize the 12x12 tiles won’t fit perfectly in the area you want it installed in right ? Is it all one open room ?

There’s gonna be a whole lot of cutting if it’s not an open area . That’s where most of the waste comes from .

I will not be using Lowes for my tile installation. Thanks for the warning. Doesn’t sound like Lowes did anything to ensure this wouldn’t happen again.

I read this just before I was headed to my local Lowe's for tile estimates. Not any longer.

That’s unfortunate. I have had two homes remodeled by Lowe’s and my tile floors are perfect.

I worked with them through choosing everything. The work is guaranteed you know.

to Anonymous #1677558

Lowe's installers replaced vinyl siding on my house. One end was cut short and don't overlap for this is insulated siding.

Installers left nails and trash in front my door when I came home from work. Lowe's home install sent a person back twice to fix problem. The problem they would not replaced siding and they don't make insulated vinyl siding stretchers. The Lowe's store is located in Johnson City, TN.

Buyer's beware! Yes I have pictures and you are welcome come view the siding decide for yourself if this quality work is ok for your home The vinyl siding and install was not cheap paid Lowe's $12,000.

Well, I am very glad to have spotted those reviews. I am now very reluctant to purchase anything from Lowes.

I was in the process of purchasing wood floors from Lowes with installer included. I will think twice now before even considering Lowes and will research other companies...

Thanks for sharing your experience!