Valspur and Lowes are pulling a fast one on consumers with their Valspur Granite paint. They say apply it with a 1.25in roller.

You will never achieve results that are anywhere close to the swatch samples doing it the way they recommend.It will simply look like you have painted clumpy cat liter onto your walls. This paint must be applied with a paint gun sprayer to achieve the results resembling what the swatch's look like.

If you apply it will a 1.25in roller you will have a disaster on your hands.The only way to remove it from your walls is with sanding it off!!!! Beware!!!

Comments

This paint is beautify, but what a nightmare do not use a roller that is a waste of time I found out early on so I used a brush and it took days for me to finish, and worst of all It's red and after 10 years I want it off, if you put a nail in the wall to hang something and then one day you need to pull it out, it leaves a white hole and it looks real bad so you really cant hang things on the wall with this paint it goes down to the drywall

This paint is very difficult. Had to get a professional to apply.

I am now selling my house with those textured walls and the sell depends on my patching the holds from my mounted TV.

Does anyone have any left over paint they would sell me.. I will pay for shipping too.

Dbwolonick@yahoo.com

I started painting my master bath with this valspar granite paint from lowes after the drywall surface was destroyed by trying to remove wallpaper. It's a small room & to get the appearance of the swatch I have already used 3 gallons on a 6x5 room & haven't touched one wall.

I can't afford a sprayer so I've just closed the room off until I can figure it out. Makes me sick to look at it.

I went according to directions & I agree it looks like sprinkled kitty liter!! Horrible product!!

to Teresa High Point, North Carolina, United States #804765

Do you have any of the paint left... I need some for touch up.

I a willing to pay for it and the shipping. Reply to : dbwolonick@yahoo.com

I tried the first coat, just as the directions said. It was auful and looked like dark cat litter.

The second coat helpsed but it really took a leap of faith to do that second coat.

It looks better but still it looks nothing like the swatch. I've used it successfully Ralph Lauren Suede in the past I'll stick with the next time I need texture.

it's real ***. do not by extrimly danger fot valet.

I used this paint and it was wonderful! I used a 4 inch skinny roller with a thicker nap.

I worked in smaller sections and it went on perfectly. I worked it in random directions, it is hard to work the paint, but the end result is absolutely amazing. After I finished I went back over the walls looking for places I needed it. Use the correct tools, keep your roller full, and expect to use elbow grease and you will be happy with the result.

It actually looked so good with the first coat a second wasn't needed. If anyone would like a picture leave me your email address and I can send one.

I just bought this Horrible paint myself for my daughters room.

Big mistake!!!! It looks soooo bad I wish I would of never walked

into Lowes!!!! I also bought everything the guy told me to buy... I even went back to ask for help.... He told me to try other steps! It looks Worse!! I would Not recommend this Paint to Anyone!!! Do not waste your Money!

I also called Valspar to see if they could give me any pointers..... Nothing!!! DO NOT BUY THIS PAINT!!!! From a 1-10 review deff a -10 (negative 10!)

You do realize that the granite paint would not go through a paint sprayer as it is full of large grains and would clog in a sprayer.

We're moving into a house that has Granite on the walls of one room. We hate the look.

What is the best technique for painting over this without having the grittiness poking through?

Do we have to sand it?

to chris #564598

Why don't you go to you tube or consult a decorator... or even call the manufacturer to get advice rather than a consumer complaint website?

My walls are platered and I used this paint in four of my rooms and it looks great. I did not use rollers because I could not get the desired look that I wanted so instead I used sponges.

I'll add that this took a lot longer but I ended up with the exact results I wanted. Also I made the mistake of not applying clear coat over the finished walls, so if you use this paint be sure to add the clear coat.

This type of paint job takes much patience and cannot be rushed. I have the kitchen, living room, and bedroom all painted with the granite look and they each look great.

The second step shouldn't be done until the the next day if possible. The first coat needs to dry completely so that it takes to the wall almost as if you were applying stucco. The second step with give that ultimate look that we all admired in the store when looking at the swatches. Just do it exactly the way it says, in X's.

There isn't any special way to do it. The more freely you are with your x's the better of a look you will end up with.

mprice03

I agree. This paint is a nightmare.

I put on my kitchen walls and they look HORRIBLE. I have to sand them and prime them ...so more money and time...geeez. This is ridiculous.

They should have somebody at Lowes that could advise the customers that we need a spray gun. I asked many questions about the paint, what roller I need, etc, they showed me the "tools" I bought everything they recommended..still my walls look like $hit

Nobody cares about your secret identity!

Valspur Valspar who really gives a *** ***. The *** paint doesn't *** work.

I have a suggestion why don't you bring your *** companyman *** over and paint my *** walls. Better yet put the *** paint on your on *** walls ***. Here's another idea since you love this *** paint so much, why don't you drink it.

Yeah and let me know if it taste ***. Have a nice *** day shitface-NOT!!!!

Fat Mart cart rider

It's not valspur, it's valspar. VALSPAR.

V A L S P A R! Get it right.

The question I have, is did you buy the RIGHT roller? The granite paint looks great, but it takes a good bit of work to apply.

A quick google search shows that they suggest a thick nap roller, 1.25" as you say. However they add that you should work in SMALL sections, of about 3 feet each. Once the first coat is done, you then add the second coat with a larger paint brush using an X pattern. It's this second coat that actually causes the granite effect, and it (the second coat) can not be applied with anything other than a brush.

No roller, nor paint sprayer. Looking at your complaint, I think you skipped the second step.