Riverside, Rhode Island
10.8K views 54 comments

We had recently needed to replace a Water Heater and after we had a plumbing service come to give an estimate, ($1400.00, plus extra for electrician to do the hookup) this would have probably have come to more than $2000.00 to complete the job, so we decided we could save some money by buying the Water Heater ourselves.Well, went to Lowes, found a Water Heater for $254.00 and while there, noticed a sign for installation for an additional $289.00 !

sounds good right ? Well, we thought so too, so decided to pay $35 to have Lowes come out to do a measurement and make sure estimate would be accurate. Water heater here was over 75 gallons so we were told it would be an exrtra $50. Still sounds good but then the technician said he would have an electrician call that night to come out to see what connection would also cost.

He never called that night so I called the next day and was told that Lowes does not do electrical connection to Water Heaters even though I told the Install Department that we were told he would call us. At this point i asked to speak to a manager and was forwarded to him. He also reitterated that Lowes does not do electrical connections, so i asked him to have the person who came to the house for the estimate, to call me and explain why he told us that an electrician would call us. The manager refused and told me that we misunderstood him and at that point i became irate.

I told him that if I misunderstood him, then I'd like to hear it again from the installer but he still refused and said that the installer is a contractor hired by Lowes, and dealing with him would not resolve the problem and that my solution was to talk directly to Lowes. At this point, I got off the phone and decided never to shop at Lowes again and went to Home Depot, bought a Water Heater for the same price, and found out that my brother knew a plumber. That same night, the plumber came and hooked up the water heater, ran new copper piping, and we paid him $220.00. He had asked for just $150.00 !

He said he couldn't set up the electrical connection because it was wired for "off peak" so he had an electrician come the next day. Electrician came next day at 12 noon, had it all wired up in about 35 minutes and asked for $40.00 ! We gave him $100.00 ! We found that it's best to talk with friends and relatives before you get scammed by these disreputable big name rip-off artists.

I'll never shop at Lowes again because they were dishonest and refused to resolve the problem with me on the phone and not let me speak directly to the person who lied to us in the 1st place.

TALK TO FRIENDS AND RELATIVES 1ST !!!

Review about: Water Heater.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Lowes?

Submit review

Comments

American Vet
We had a similar experience with Lowe's installation department, made appointment to have estamet for new decking on front porch, Lowe's rep never returned a call.
Even went to store looking for the guy and got nothing but excuses.
billyboy
Mooresville, North Carolina, United States #953467
*** story!! Lowes only hooks up the water heater. They are not electrical contractors and would never mess with it. They don't do electrical.plumbing nor construction. Only item install. Lmao
JACK
Ocala, Florida, United States #905107
SAME THING HERE IN OCALA FL. CALLED SOME ONE ELSE. GOT THE WHOLE JOB DONE FOR LESS THAN $640 ON A SAT AM, LESS THAN 24 HRS. SHAME ON LOWES !!!!!!!
maw
Ashtabula, Ohio, United States #882407
my parents just bought a hot water tank in ashabula ohio at lowe and a year later the hot water tank stop working and lowe sent a contractor and charge my parent 118 for 5 min and said it is not the hot water tank it is th breaker box and arming and lose wire . told them never shop at lows. but the lowe icing my dad a hard time.
JP
2014 January. Arranged for Lowes to intstall two water heaters. Originally was told it would be roughly $700 to install the two units. Later that day I was charged $1000 since the original quote didn't include expansion tanks (for code compliance) and associated install fees. The plumber was supposed to stop by that day to install. A day later we had to call the plumber to see if they were showing up. Spent about 15 minutes looking at the leaking unit and said he would submit a full quote. Next day nothing. Two days later and only after numerous calls got a quote for $1700 to do the work and that did not include the heaters! They wanted to charge me $300 each for new flexible exhaust pipes ($40 new), $200 for expansion tanks ($39 each at the Lowes). The list went on and on. I went and got my money refunded and hired a plumber who did the work for less than $400.00. I'll never use Lowes for an install again. Completely out of line and their one day install is bull.
Enlightened One
to JP #840408
These complaints and reviews are EXACTLY why I try to get as MUCH information as possible!! I appreciate EVERYONE'S input and comments, positive and negative!
To me, it's not enough to be able to figure out the costs/extra costs/ratings/etc on HWHs (among other things), it's the knowledge of what COULD happen when you make purchases, and that's how all you folks helped me out.
A Ppsitive Review.
#519300
I had a flooring contractor come to my house to install some flooring. The first time the flooring lasted a little under a year before starting to come up. So I called Lowes since it was an install from said store. They sent someone out to look at it. Said it was an error from the original install. At a cost to themselves they sent us new flooring and another installer came out to redo my floors. The installer was truly amazing. The man even stopped what he was doing to help me find my dog who had gotten out. My floors have been in for over four years and I would recommend them anytime.
Plumbers and Customers
First of all, the parts to do an install are at Lowe's. Come on! Second, let me explain BASIC Install. Basic is just that. each home and situation is different. Upcharges accomodate the differences. Are all homes built the same? No. Do consumers alway buy the same products as they currently have? almost never. I know times are hard but quit trying to get free stuff by whining. If you make a habit of it. Word will get around.
Salesman X
Couple things.

1) This is an old post, so issues in 2008 are different than 2012. New Whirlpool gas models with 12 year warranty with energy star ratings have an electrical plug in requirement and most code will specify a GFCI outlet and dedicated circuit, but that will vary on location. Lowe's does not install the outlet, you have to get an electrician for that, then they can do the install once the outlet is up to code. This is NOT the issue the original poster is talking about.

2)Code varies from location to location and install pricing is going to vary based on situations. Extra charges may be associated with the install to account for piping changes (such Polybutylene conversion to PEX), the fact an 80 gallon water heater may require more than one installer to lift into place, city permit fees, expansion tank installs to meet code, gas flex line, dialectric pipe fittings for anti corrosion, etc.

3) As stated many times, there is no scam, and the various competitors will require all the same things. You can get a plumber to overcharge you or a friend to help you out, you can go to a retailer to sell you the unit they offer and cover the sale (extended warranties available and for water heaters, a good idea if you can't do an install or repair yourself), or you can learn how to do it and save some money. Plumbing is considered difficult because people haven't done it and/or heard of or had bad experiences with either old
... Show more
to Salesman X #1242797
About Lowe's management going the extra mile is bull feathers... the one experience I had was he did not care and became bent out of shape when I discribe the individual who's service I was unhappy with, and used the word female.... the manager was so rude and unreasonable that I contacted the regional Maneger to complain.