Van Buren, Arkansas
1.5K views 23 comments

On 10/22/2012 I was at the Lowe's store in Van Buren, Arkansas to purchase some tile for a bathroom project. There were several employees throughout the store congregating talking about their weekend and goofing off. I loaded one box of tiles (12X12) weighing over 40+ pounds into my cart. When I attempted to load the next cardboard box of tiles the cardboard ripped and the box fell on my foot. I was wearing sandals so needless to say my toes were crushed and it was very apparent that I had broken toes. Should have worn my steel toes sandals or better yet, the "employees" who were gossiping and standing around should have had a little courtesy and assisted me. When I did ask for help I was told "I'm not sure I can help but we'll see". After loading the last box he the kid said good luck and hope your day goes better. He didn't offer to walk the cart to the front. I spoke to the Manager who wrote up an injury report and said I would be contacted within a few hours.

After a visit to the Emergency room I have fractured and a crush injury to my left foot. I have been in a great deal of pain and have two small children who require my attention with their daily needs.

It has been 2 1/2 days and I haven't heard from Lowes. What has happened to customer service?? Home Depot always has courteous employees that are there to assist you. I will do my shopping at Home Depot in the future!

Injured Pissed Off Customer

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Lowes?

Submit review

Comments

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States #1211204

Ask for help next time and this won't happen.If you are unsure of how to lift something or are too weak do not try to load yourself.

Never lift tile by the straps.Any flooring associate knows this.

Bryan

Lowes employee

Ray J. Johnson
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States #580617

Shoot, I didn't read her last line.One less *** to deal with.

Good luck with this one H. Depot!

She'll probably have to park in a Handicap spot now and ride in an electric scooter.....poor little pitties

Thetanop
to Ray J. Johnson #880639

Ray, Do you work for Lowes? which Store?

to Thetanop Markham, Ontario, Canada #1149710

Another youngster just assuming that because they told the customer they are wrong that they work for the company. Why do people make this assumption, it makes them sound immature and foolish.

Ray J. Johnson
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States #580616

WAH!

It's a "DIY Warehouse Store"!! Get the concept!!??

You save money by buying in a warehouse setting. If you can't do it yourself, ask first or hire someone who can.

You're lucky OSHA doesn't make you wear steel toe shoes to shop in a store like Sam's Club, Home Depot, or Lowe's.

Not wearing property foot protection in a potentially dangerous environment, just so you can show off your $20 pedicure is your own fault.

Durr
Dallas, Texas, United States #570115

Heartless is right, you can't just expect someone to come over and help. You should have asked an employee for assistance, that's what they're there for. They probably thought you didn't need any, since you didn't ask for any.

to Durr Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States #1149688

Lowes company policy is to help the customers I find it hard to believe that 3 or 4 employees would just stand around and watch a woman load 40 lb boxes of tile on a floor cart .

That's just not going to happen..At least not in my store & I cant see it happening in any other Lowes unless you didn't want help or they were busy helping someone else.

Lowes pride themselves on their customer service

Heartless

Wasn't trying to impress anyone, just making a point.Most people agree with me :).

It's your responsibility to ask for help if you may have issues loading it. When I lift weights very heavy weights, I'm talking 300-lbs plus I always get a spotter just in case. I will ask anyone around in the gym. I would never make an assumption they would just come and do it, even if they worked there.

It's your responsibility to ask for help, not assume it just will happen.

Another strong point people made on here was about you talking at work.Live and learn, stop blaming others.

Highlands Ranch, Colorado, United States #567309

It's a DIY store... If you can't do things by yourself, ask for help...

Loweguy

I like how people who complain on these sites act like Lowes Employees aren't human.Like we aren't social animals that enjoy talking and laughing and such.

I'm sure at your job you don't talk to anyone on a social level and share experiences. They expect us to be robots and have a 6th sense to just KNOW the second they need help. All you had to do is ask for help and you would have had it. Either walk up to any employee in a vest or hey...those big red call buttons you can press to get an associate to your location in less than 30 seconds.

Basically you picked up something that was too heavy for you and dropped it on your foot. Sounds like bad judgement on your part. I don't see how Lowes is liable in this case. It isn't like it fell out of topstock because it was stored improperly.

I'm sorry for the accident happening to you, but come on......Life happens.Stop trying to blame everyone for your own bad judgement.