Norcross, Georgia

On September 21, 2015, I contacted Lowe's San Bruno store in order to purchase an interior door for rental property that I own in San Mateo, California. My first call was with Lorisa who told me that she was in a meeting, but would call me back in one hour. After three hours I called her back. I provided her with specifications on the door. She was going to research the available products and call me back. Needless to say, that did not happen. I called Lorisa a total of four times that day and was finally able to arrange for an installer to go to the house and measure the door opening.

Lorisa did find me a door that met my specifications and she sent me a quote via e-mail. Because she did not have the measurements she used random dimensions for the size of the door. The price of the door was to be $228.67. I was to pay $199.00 for installation and $45.00 to have the door measured. The $45.00 charge was to be credited back to me if I purchased a door from Lowe’s.

William went out to measure the door on September 23rd. He told me that the measurements would be downloaded to Lowe’s that afternoon. I called Lowe’s the next day; because I have tenants living in the house who do not have a bathroom door. I was told that it took 3 days for the measurements to download (they really should look into updating their computer system). I waited until September 29th and when I did not hear from Lowe’s I called them. At this point Lowe’s had not made a single call too me, all calls originated with me. Ruben confirmed that Lowe’s had received the measurements from William. Ruben was going to put together a contract and send it to me by e-mail.

After at least six alleged attempts, I finally received the contract at 5:00 p.m. on September 30th. The contract reflected a material price that was 30% higher than the price I was given and reflected a labor cost that was 57% higher than what I was told. I called Lowe’s and spoke to a male who identified himself as the manager of the mill works department. I told him that I wanted an explanation for the substantial increase in the price of the door and installation. He explained that the actual door was 80 inches tall and that this was not a standard dimension. I told him that I would be checking this with the manufacturer, at which point he hung up on me. I called the store back and asked to speak to the manager. It turns out that the male who identified himself as the manager was not really the manager. It also turns out that 80 inches is a standard height for an interior door.

At this point Lowe’s has wasted over three hours of my time. It has taken over ten days to do a task that should have taken two days. It is obvious to me that their staff has been intentionally wasting my time. I’m sure that they will not find the situation as amusing when I send Lowe’s a bill for my time.

Needless to say, I will be calling Home Depot the next time I need an appliance replaced.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

Lowes Cons: Employees.

Comments

I do not know what is going on as of late with Lowes, but in the past, I have had no problems. But lately, the smallest things turns into a disaster.

Even calling the customer service department is bad. You get a totally different answer from each person you talk to about the same problem. So today I have spent 2 hours of my time trying to get answers about a refrigerator repair, that was supposed to happen two weeks ago. (Mind you it's not even a year old) The last rude representative told me that I needed to call the manufacturer even though I paid for a 5 year warranty through Lowes.

When I explained to him that Lowes needed to honor the warranty I purchased, regardless if it was still under the manufacturers. The rep. than hung up on me. Than another 20 min to get someone to help.

But thank God for the internet and Google. I found a different number for customer service (800)-445-6937 and finally got some satisfaction.

But I really do question why a new refrigerator needs a part. Going forward, I probably will go to Home Depot for appliances and I will never buy another Frigidaire if they break in less than a year.