Lowes offer free installation on there carpet. Sound good but what they don't tell you is that they over estimate the amount of carpet needed.

We paid to have them come out and measure the needed carpet which i knew about up front. But when the carpet estimate came in, it was estimated in the most disadvantageous manner possible so that they ended up with extra carpet square footage. When I showed them that they could have done the estimate more efficiently, they just responded to me with "our estimate is our estimate"!

In essence, the free installation wasn't free at all when you have to buy more carpet than needed. I ended up walking away from my paid estimate and contracted with a regular carpet company who estimated exactly like I showed Lowes it could be done and saved myself hundreds of dollars.

Product or Service Mentioned: Lowes Carpet Installation Estimate.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Comments

Im not going to speak to your situation specifically.

At times there is greater waste in product with carpet to minimize how the product is seamed together.

At time the only way to avoid a very noticeable seam is to use larger pieces.

Although the person who detailed the floor should of went over that with you during there time while measuring.

The installers have to warranty the work and the product for a full year, for that reason they have to put it down how they feel confident it will last.

Less is not always best.