1.5

I went in to Lowe's looking for patio doors. I explained to them that my doors are very old and probably an odd size.

The guy at the desk had me set up an appointment with someone to come out to my house to take measurements, and then he said that we can order one after that. It cost around $50 just to have someone come out to measure. At no point did anyone tell me that a custom size would be so difficult. After the measurements were taken, i went in to Lowe's to discuss my options.

The first time i went in, the person at the desk had no idea what he was doing – he had a hard time even finding my file! SO i came back a second time, and the person was helpful and put in for two quote requests. I get a call back a few days later that one door manufacturer can't /won't make it. And that he'll call back with the other quote.

A few more days passed and i finally called them, and after mumbling on the phone for a good 5 minutes, the price he gave me to have these custom size doors made (smaller than typical doors) was so astronomical that there is no way i can afford it. He couldn't offer me any other help. SO, basically i spent that money to have measurements taken for nothing! Also, they clearly don't have enough options to take on a real job.

And most of the personnel i dealt with weren't very knowledgeable and couldn't offer me what i needed (except for the person who requested the quotes – he was competent).

And now winter is coming, i wasted all this time with Lowe's only to find out that they can't help me, and now i have to start over with someone else. I wouldn't bother with them for anything important for your house.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person stated that there is a room for improvement of poor turn around time and incompetent staff. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of patio doors and associated monetary loss in the amount of $60. Lowes needs to issue a full refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned patio doors in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Lowes.

Comments

You started with Lowes and were more than likely quoted the price for Pella doors which tend to be a more expensive door to start with. Custom sizes will cost even more.

You will find a vinyl door will be more affordable than a wood door.

Your post doesn't give a location but you might look for a store that can order Jeld-Wen or Crestline doors. Both companies will build a custom door for a lower price than Pella.