6.6K views

17 Sept. 2009

Water Ace Pump Company1101 Myers ParkwayAshland, Ohio 44805-19691-800-942-3343www.waterace.com

Lowe's Home Centers, Inc.1520 Rt. 38, Bldg. 10Lumberton, NJ 08048609-518-7680www.lowes.com/feedback Store Code: 15750-91509-18734

To whom it may concern:

On Saturday 19 Jan. 2008 I went to Lowe's Mt Holly, NJ & bought a Water Ace Model R5V ½ HP Sump Pump with a 5-year warranty.On Saturday 12 Sep.2009 I returned home @ 2300 hrs to find my basement flooded. The sump pump stopped working.On Sunday 13 Sep. 2009, I returned to Lowe's to get another pump and bought a Water Ace Model R50VLT. I woke up Sunday Morning 12 hours after installing this pump only to find the basement flooded again. I checked the float and manually lowered it and then left it rise to the switch and the pump started pumping once again. I watched it do this for 5 consecutive 15-second cycles and then the 6th time the pump clicked in as before & ran, but would not pump out the water. (Also noted was a stream of water exiting the pump near the outlet. It looked like a hairline crack in the housing.) I went though the manual resetting the float again & the pump did the same thing. I laid on the wet floor for about 2 hours doing this over and over to lower the water table. I had to repeat this several more times during the day & into the evening to keep the basement free from water.While on break at work I called Water Ace & talked with a gentleman named Ron & he said I should return both pumps to Lowe's and gave me # 200-801 for the R5V pump. When I got home from work on Monday 14 Sept. 2009, it was flooded again. I repeated the manually lowering and raising the float to get it started and then it worked once again for a few cycles & then just turned on without pumping any water as it has been doing since Sunday.On Tuesday 15 Sept 2009 I went to Lowe's with both pumps but I Didi't have the receipt for the R5V pump with me as it was at home with my income tax file. (With all the water coming into the basement, I didn't take time to search for the receipt as in the past Lowe's was able to find my purchase on their computer.) I gave them the date and Model number but they said that they could not find it in the system as the SKU changed. The Zone Manager Josh would not give me his last name as I said that I would be in contact with Lowe's Corporate office. I exchanged the R50VLT pump & went back home.Walked through the now flooded basement again and installed the R50VLT pump. Turned it on and it started pumping right away. After about 10 minutes the water was back in the sump pump well and it shut off until it filled up and it kicked back on. This happened for about 7 times and then it turned on & failed to pump the water until I manually lowered the float and raised it in order for the pump to start pumping again.This went through the 15-second cycles for about seven times and then stopped again.Also to be noted here that the pump would actually sound like it was pumping water after the 7th cycle, but only was circulating water in the pump well with some exiting the anti air lock port. This continual running with adds to my electric bill for the last 5 days.

It was at this time that the thought came to me to check the box to see where this pump was manufactured. When I read Made in China, I really got ticked off! I'm sick and tired of having so many things made in China. I would not have bought this pump to start with had I checked where it was made, but for the fact that I was in Lowe's & needed a pump right away.

I want you to know that I lost a lot of our things in the basement because of the pump failure; lost a lot of hours changing out the pumps & trying to get them to work properly; time in traveling back & forth to Lowe's as well as money spent on gas for my car.

Now I know that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to change a sump pump. It is just a matter of connecting a hose & plugging in. However I do want you to know a little about me.I served 20 years active U.S. Air Force & 10 years Inactive Reserve as a Jet Engine Technician & later as a C-141 Starlifter Aircraft Flight Engineer, Also ram my own Home Improvement business for a few years and I'm a Real Estate Investor with a few properties that I maintain. I'm also employed on Fort Dix, NJ as part of the ISO 9000 Quality Team, working with the Electronic Shop; Weapon Shop & the Vehicle Maintenance Shops for the vehicles used in training and deploying with the Army, Air Force and Navy. Needless to say, I'm very familiar with all kinds of pumps and switches.With that I can only say that the Water Ace Pumps are of poor quality. I would suggest that you get rid of this Chinese made junk and BUY AMERICAN!

Review about: Lowes Manager.

Comments

I'm with you, buddy. If we made steel in this country again we wouldn't have to buy Chinese junk.

I'm tired of everything being made cheaply to last just until the warranty expires. cBusinesses only listen when you speak with your dollar.

Check all labels and if it isn't made in USA (or in the case of my favorite hair product, MoraccanOil, made in Israel), don't buy it.

Van Wert, Ohio, United States #894039

AMEN

had to manually lift the float everytime we had a hard rain. basement constantly flooding.

no info on how to get warranty lowes does not carry this item anymore. Would not have purchased this item with what I know now. We purchased this thinking we were getting one of the higher quality pumps so we didnt have to deal with this kind of stuff.

opps.. lost my drumset.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada #630878

I purchased a house in the summer of 2012 which came with a Waterace R3S, a 1/3 HP sump with a tethered float. The pump worked fine through fall and winter when it have a small work load. But come spring things started to turn bad. Knowing that there would be a lot of water coming in to my pit I checked the pump, watched it cycle 4-5 times and came to the conclusion that the pump was up to the task of the upcoming spring thaw.

During my inspection I noticed that the float for my backup, water operated pump (operated by municipal water pressure in the case of a power outage or mechanical failure of your primary pump) was getting caught up on the side because of a missing bracket which is meant to hold it vertical. Stupidly I shut the ball valve going to the back up because I did not want it to get caught and let the water run constantly. I have caught this little pump running before, the float caught on the side. I simply just moved the float back into position not really giving much thought to it. If i had taken the time to think about it I would have realized that this float is set when the waterline reaches 1"-2" above that which the Waterace pump is set. Which means the Waterace didn't turn on when it as suppose to.

I mention to my wife how it would suck to have a flooded basement and how the pump was working good. The next day, after my inspection and ironic statement to my wife I go down to a flooded basement. I immediately turn the little back up pump on, cursing my stupidity for shutting it off. Move everything that was or could be water damaged and begin to try to get the pump running. My immediate thought was that it was a the float switch, I begin to take the pump apart to see how difficult it would be to replace the float switch. I get 2 of the 6 screws out and in a moment of frustration I plug it in, praying to the pump god's that it works. I lift the float, and the *** turns on. As fast as I can I replace the screws and put the pump back home, as the water is not lowering, the poor little water powered pump isn't built to move that amount of water. The Waterace turns on and finally the pit and surrounding water is pumped out and I can begin my clean up of the the basement.

Luckily my basement is only partially finished and I did catch it before it was too bad. The pump pit does happened to be placed in the one room that is drywalled and has laminate flooring. Looking back the damage could have been a lot worse.

Forward two days later, Easter sunday. I could have bought a new pump yesterday, everything was open, do I? No. Instead a figure I keep a close eye on it and see if it happens again. Sunday morning I go down and my little water powered pump is running, meaning one thing, the waterline rose past that of the Waterace pump. I hit the float for the Waterace, nothing. After cursing Waterace and thanking my little water powered pump I remove the pump again. The Waterace is hot, so much that there is a small amount of steam coming from it. Thats when it dawns on me, the pump is equipped with a thermal overload! The pump has been overheating, tripping this switch. It has been working hard, the snow is melting quick. Regardless, if this pump is equipped with a overload, and no manual reset, it should cool down and automatically reset itself. The pump has not been doing this. I wait 15-20 minutes, which I conclude is sufficient amount of time to let the pump cool down, plug it in and the pump turns on.

So, it seems that the pump is overheating tripping the switch, awesome feature if it worked. But it doesn't reset unless I interrupt the power going to it.

Good luck getting any useful information from Waterace.com, it looks like a website I made for a project in grade 8. I was going to contact them by email, but their email is down. From "Terry's" post on this thread on June 09, 2012, it seems that there email has been down for 9 months. Seems kind of fishy to me. So I will wait until Easter is over to call this exceedingly, amateur looking company.

Moral of the story. Don't shut off your back up pump. The Waterace pump will take advantage of your lapse in judgement and you will be vacuuming up water off your basement floor.

I will be purchasing another pump, from another company that doesn't look like they are running it out of their mothers basement.

New River, Arizona, United States #589436

All big box store sell the same thing Jst they put there name on claim it's better warranty ect.... They play us all as fools while the top players get the goodies comsumer gets screwd how much do u think they payed for the pump?

Probry 1/4 wht we pay .. Oh ya they all want to help us hahahah help us spend more

Re: Water Ace R50VLT purchased at Lowes and installed 2 years ago. Now the pump switch is DOA.

Luckily I heard the pump running non stop. Called customer Service who said send it back for a new one. The Phipps Hex Screw securing the switch to the pump has to be drilled out because it's a piece of ***. I am in healthcare and imagine if crappy screws were used to fix bone fractures.

Are we that money hungry and unethical that we sell *** to Americans? (of course we all know the answer). So far trying to get this screw out has wasted an entire day. No sockets fit and I wonder if they do this on purpose.

When I get a new switch will this happen two years from now or will the pump fail? I will never buy another Water Ace pump again.

I'll go to a proper plumbing place and check customer reviews first. :cry

I'm trying to get parts for a RC10. I can't even get into the WEB site to contact Water Ace.

Their Email is down. After reading all the complaints, I think I'll trash the pump and get another from a company with a better product line mainteance record.

Try a pump that is made in the U.S.A. like Zoeller. www.zoeller.com

I have a water ace R15L lawn sprinkler pump. It has worked great for the last ten years since new.

The poor guy finally retired this week after many years of fine service. Wish I could find another one locally just like it. It owes me nothing.

Was just great! :)

The water ace I have will work fine, but will not shut off after repeated cycles....I will be switching brands, and stores this round.

I had the same problem with the sump pump.

just survived Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene. Only due to the fact i checked the sump pump before going to bed.

the float was up, but did not turn on the pump. i manually pushed it up and down and it turned on.

Spent 3 hours thru the nite making sure it didnt stop again. going to Lowes to replace with something better.

I have, scratch that, HAD, a Water Ace R5V, 1/2 hp sump pump. It went out less than 2 years after purchase.

This also advertised a 5 Year Warranty, which at the time, made me feel better about spending less on the pump. I also had to lift the switch manualy several times, wiggling it back and forth, up and down, to get the water level down. Once down again, I took off to get a new one. Thank God it happened 2 weeks before our area received the, now news worthy, flooding.

If it had gone out the 1st night the water started to rise, we would have lost everything in our basement.

AVOID WATER ACE PUMPS. You may save 50 bucks at the store, but think of the hours your going to spend cleaning up your flooded basement.

30 years of commercial, industrial, and residence Plumbing, design, fab, install and lots, of repairs. I have learned a lot and it gets more interesting as time goes on but what gets me, no actually hurts is to American's demand and buy the cheapest of merchandise, than complain about the quality?

Why is it we buy *** from Asia and pay the billions of import and shipping costs and wonder why industry has moved? ETHICS.

Only one thing gets the economy up and moving, ......spending. I hate my lg phone and all the other *** coming out of that child labor country, they are going to cash us in soon.

Dont know if first comment went thru. The waterace never worked out of the box. Good quality hope Lowes will take back unit as its out of warranty.

R50VLT with the same switch problem. Pump works finebut wont shut off. Lowes is taking the old one back and replacing it.

I hate the Water Ace Pumps - it malfunctions , the floating switch does not work and I just had it cos my basement has been flooded many times now.Finally today I had - I want to let the world know that their pumps really suck big time.

I have a water ace R50vlt which also died. Actually the float switch controller stopped working.

The motor works if I plug it directly without the second plug. of course that is no good since it will run continuously. Water Ace advertises it with a lifetime warranty. When I called them there response was oh that is not a material defect.

we cannot repair it.... Glad to see that lowes in no longer carrying their trash. Just bought a Zoeller pump online. Alot of on line sites with good prices.

The recent rain we had in the Boston area caused a shortage of pumps everywhere. now I have to keep a spare on hand just in case.

I Bought a water ace sump pump R5V 5year warranty from lowes on 7-17-08 2year and 4 months later went out.I went to lowes they said,sorry we replaced that product with FLOTECH sump pump...SO much for warranty,any help, advise please email;delatte@spillwaycable.com THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!

Lowes ***' sucks!!!